Chapter 1

Little Kittens

 

Youngjae wondered how his birthday was going to turn out this time. As he laid down on his bed, tapping away on his phone, he thought about his previous birthdays. He ignored the text from Jaebum, asking if he was up to go eat barbecue and thought about last year. He could remember it like it was yesterday: the feathers, the booze and the stripper that his noona, Soohyun, had gotten him. His parents hadn't been happy to find Youngjae face down on the couch, except for his boxers, with his noona on the floor asleep while holding a bottle of tequila. His friends were strewn throughout his house in various states of undress. Youngjae had one hell of a hangover that morning and he also had to burn any photos of him from that night. He shuddered from the memory of a certain photo of him and a y feather boa. His parents hadn't been happy with his drinking since he was barely of age. Youngjae knew that his noona loved spoiling him, so there was no doubt about having a birthday party made by her. Thank god his parents set rules for his noona about setting up Youngjae's birthday party this year. He smiled at the rules they had set up: No strippers, No feathers and if they wanted alcohol, there needed to be plenty of snacks this time. 

Youngjae rolled over onto his stomach and opened Jaebum's text. He was a bit hungry but he knew not too eat so late otherwise his cheeks would be swollen in the morning. He sent back a text and threw his phone to the side, getting up to get a bottle of water. He went downstairs to the kitchen and found his noona and his mother sitting at the kitchen table. They stopped talking and turned to look at him, faces smiling weirdly. Youngjae eyed them as he grabbed his water, wondering what they were planning. His birthday was only three days away, on Sunday and he shook his head, worried what they might plan. Truthfully he didn't want much, all he really wanted was a new laptop and some new clothing. He didn't need the fancy cake or booze but the gesture was nice. 

He gave his sister and mom one more look before going back to his room to finish off the homework he had put off. He took his backpack off the floor and looked inside, sighing at the Chemistry homework he had to do. He hated ReDox reactions, he always got confused what to put on each side. Jaebum wasn't any help since he liked History more. He wondered if Yongguk hyung could help him out. Yongguk hyung liked science a lot and always helped Youngjae when he needed it. But it was late (he glanced at his desk clock, it was 11:48pm) and Yongguk loved his sleep. He took out the papers from his backpack and decided to tough it out. He grabbed his Chemistry textbook from his floor and got started on his homework. Unfortunately he finished his problems 2 hours later, only being able to go to sleep at 2 in the morning.  

Youngjae was not a morning person. He loved to cuddle up in his bed and be a warm burrito in his blankets. But alas he couldn't stay in his bed or his homework would go to waste. He turned off his phone alarm and scrambled to go shower. He quickly scrubbed his body and rinsed off, dressing in a yellow shirt and blue skinny jeans. He shrugged on his backpack and threw on his sunglasses, quickly grabbing his house keys and leaving his house, ignoring the chatter of his noona. He didn't really eat breakfast but he did accept the daily cup of coffee Yongguk gave him. Yongguk made great coffee and since it was Friday, Yongguk would bring him a caramel latte. Youngjae could feel his mouth water at the thought. 

Anyways, Youngjae usually walked to school. It was easier on his wallet and it was good for his health...and it gave him a chance to escape the stalker he called Eunji. Youngjae had met Eunji on the bus ride to school, giving her his seat when the bus was full. It was the right thing to do but god if he sometimes didn't regret it. Eunji was a nice girl but once she got a taste of his wit and intellect, she was everywhere. She waited for him before and after class, ambushed him during lunch and tried to follow him home. He only escaped home easily because she had cheerleading after school. Thank god for cheerleading.

He looked at his phone and hummed, he was going to be early for school but not too early. He made his way to his locker, opening it up and shoving his Chemistry textbook inside. He hated carrying around his textbooks. It was really nice of their college to have lockers the students could use as long as they registered for them. Youngjae closed his locker and waited for Yongguk, still thinking about the wonderful coffee he was about to get. 

“Hyung!”

Youngjae turned around and saw Junhong running up to him. Youngjae smiled at the younger's attire: a striped t-shirt and jean shorts. He looked so innocent and cute that Youngjae wanted to eat him up. He watched Junhong stop in front of him and smile widely, 

“Hyung look what I got!”

Youngjae watched as Junhong searched through his photo, shoving it into Youngjae's face. 

“His name is Jongup. Isn't he cute?”

Youngjae looked at a picture of a cute boy, pale with small eyes, posed for the camera. He had cute black cat ears on his head and a cute tail trailing behind him. Junhong had gotten himself a Little Kitten it seemed. Little Kittens were small cute humans with cat traits and physical features. Youngjae didn't know how they came about, all he knew was that scientists were trying to obtain some traits from cats and the Little Kittens came about. They were all the rage since they were small (about a foot tall) and easy to have around. They were just like little humans except with cat ears and tails and it helped that the government had many safety laws to make sure that Little Kittens weren't abused. 

Youngjae smiled and pushed away the phone from his face, “He looks cute. When did you get him?”

Junhong smiled, “Yesterday. I was shopping for a new jacket and I saw him in the Little Kitten pet shop. He was dancing and he was sooooo cute that I had to have him. He's at home right now sleeping.”

Youngjae chuckled, “Sounds adorable. Will I get to meet him later?” He slipped on his backpack, textbook in hand.

Junhong nodded, “Yeah. I just wanted him to get enough sleep. I'm going to go get him during lunch.”

Youngjae nodded. Junhong lived close enough to the school that he could go home unlike Youngjae, who lived 20 minutes away.  “That's good. Now tell me, did you finish your homework or did you play with Jongup the entire night?”

Junhong stiffened before pouting. “Hyung...” His silence spoke for itself. 

Youngjae rose his eyebrows and gave Junhong a look, “You know you're suppose to finish your homework and not copy off Kyuhyun's.”

Junhong made fish lips at Youngjae, “Yeah yeah mom. I did half of the homework so I'll just finish it during class.”

Youngjae sighed, “Well it's better than nothing. Now have you seen Yongguk? I want my coffee.”

Junhong shook his head, “No. I just got to school but you should try the art room on the second floor. I know he's looking for designers to make his album cover.”

Youngjae waved his hands, “Nah. Sounds like too much work. I'll just wait for him to come to me instead. I'll get my coffee one way or another.”

“Youngjae!” Youngjae smirked, “Speak of the devil.”

He turned and took the caramel latte from Yongguk, sighing at the delicious taste of coffee. “Hyung you make the best coffee. Forget becoming a rapper and open up a coffee shop. I'll be your main source of income, along with Seunghyun. You know he loves your coffee.”

Yongguk smiled, showing off his gums. “I know he is. We'll see if my career doesn't sail fast first.” Yongguk patted Junhong's head, “Hey.” Junhong smiled and showed Yongguk Jongup. “Hyung I got a Little Kitten. His name is Jongup.”

Yongguk studied the phone before nodding. “You know they're a lot of work now.” Junhong pouted, “Yes hyung. I got it so don't worry your old man .” 

“Yah!” Yongguk shoved a finger in Junhong's face, “Respect your elders.” Youngjae chuckled at the sight and rolled his eyes, “Like you're so older than us hyung.”

“Either way. Now Junhong get to class and don't fall asleep.” Junhong rolled his eyes and waved his hyung goodbye. Youngjae turned to Yongguk and nudged him. 

“Do you think he's responsible enough to keep Jongup?” Yongguk nodded, “Yeah, he'll be fine as long as we help him out. You know, I've been thinking about getting one?” Youngjae was surprised, 

“You want one? I didn't take you for the cute kitten type.”

Yongguk shrugged his shoulders, “Every time I pass the Little Kitten pet shop, there's one baby kitten that keeps catching my eye. He's really pretty and adorable.”

Youngjae laughed, “You mean he has a resting face, doesn't he? You love those types of people hyung, since you can get under their skin so easily.”

“I can't hide anything from you, now can I?”

“Not since we made out at your 23rd birthday party. God that was such a great party though.”

Yongguk nodded, although you really couldn't called his birthday party a party. Truthfully it was more like a rave. Youngjae had been a freshman in college (now he was a sophomore) and Yongguk was a junior, when they made out. It was a bit awkward afterwards but they eventually got over it. Now they were friends that really understood each other. 

“Anyway hyung, if he catches your eye, you better get him before someone else does.”

Yongguk nodded, “Thanks kid, now get to class before I take away your coffee.”

Youngjae shielded his coffee from Yongguk and walked away, smiling at how cute his hyung was. Youngjae was sure his hyung would have his Little Kitten soon. He entered his classroom and promptly ignored his professor. He sipped his coffee and doodled on his notebook, pretending like he was totally paying attention. He took this time during English class to finish up any homework he had and also work on his drawings. Youngjae was currently double majoring in music and business but he loved to draw and he was damn good at it as well. He doodled a tree, shaping the leaves so they looked like the wind was blowing through them. He started to draw Junhong and his long limbs, making him dance on his paper. Junhong was pretty good at dancing, which is why he chose Jongup. He liked anyone that liked to dance. Youngjae finished the curve of Junhong's foot when his professor dismissed class, telling his students to read pages 123 to 345 for the next class. A lot but Youngjae liked to read so it was nothing to him. 

Youngjae put his things away and left his class, not really talking to anyone. He really didn't talk to others in his classes unless he really had to. He really wasn't the socializing type. Sure he could make friends but to be honest, those friends really had to hold his interest or try really hard with him, like the guy who was just about to put arm around Youngjae. Jaebum was his childhood friend. Youngjae had met him when he was 6 and Youngjae didn't have the best first impression of him. Jaebum had pushed him off the playground slide, making him cry. Then he even shoved Youngjae's ice cream out of his hands, his beautiful ice cream that his mother bought him to stop his crying. 

Youngjae, from then on, ignored him. Didn't respond to his taunts and yells and soon Jaebum left him alone. Eventually Jaebum had grown sorry and tried to apologize to Youngjae, who didn't give a rat's about him. Jaebum, Youngjae had eventually figured it out from Jaebum's parents, had a tiny crush on Youngjae as a small child and had panicked about liking another boy. But Youngjae didn't care and made Jaebum work for his apology. It was still a bit awkward for Youngjae since he knew Jaebum had a small crush on him still. But as long as Jaebum didn't confess to him, Youngjae didn't have to reject him. 

Jaebum put his arm around Youngjae, whining about last night.

“Jae~ Why didn't you come out and eat with me?”

Youngjae looked at him, “You know I try not to eat late at night.”

“Yeah but I was so lonely.”

Youngjae snorted and started to walk to the food court, feeling a bit hungry. Maybe he could grab a cookie and wait for his next class. Unfortunately he felt his arm being tugged towards the cafe down the street, Jaebum humming as he pulled Youngjae with him. 

“What are you doing?”

Jaebum smiled, “I'm hungry. I want a burger and you're coming with me. I'll buy you mango shaved ice.”

Youngjae sighed, he loved mango shaved ice and Jaebum always bribed him with it. He allowed himself to be pulled, ignoring the looks from people around them. The cafe Jaebum was pulling him towards was called B.A.P, which stood for Best Absolute Perfect. It was an interesting slogan, even with the weird english. The food here was pretty good but Youngjae preferred their drinks. Jaebum pushed him to a booth close to the back of the cafe, secluded and away from people. Youngjae eyed Jaebum before shaking his head. He watched Jaebum order his food and Youngjae ordered his mango shaved ice, silently excited for his food. 

Youngjae tapped his fingers against the table, the silence was killing him. The air between then felt awkward but Youngjae didn't know why. Jaebum coughed a bit before talking,

“Hey um, how's class?”

Youngjae narrowed his eyes at him before humming, “It's ok. Today started out boring but Yongguk hyung brought me coffee so it was ok. You?”

Jaebum his lips, “Actually I have something to tell you. I was hoping to tell you last night but whatever.”

Jaebum looked to see if anyone else was listening before leaning in to whisper. 

“I got a boyfriend.”

Youngjae blinked, Jaebum had gotten over his crush on Youngjae? He smiled and gave him a thumbs up. “Good for you! Who is it?”

Jaebum blushed, rubbed his head with his hand.

“You know Hakyeon from Calculus? Well he and I got to talking and god Youngjae, his smile and how confident he is. We made out two days ago and I can't get him out of my mind.”

Youngjae chuckled, “How cute. Good luck with Hakyeon. He's so headstrong but I think you guys will be good together.”

Jaebum put his head into his hands and sighed happily, “I hope so. Anyways have you seen Taekwoon's Little Kitten? Jaehwan is so popular because he sings so well and he's adorable with light blond ears and tail. Hakyeon is going to get one today. He told me that he wanted a Little Kitten with black ears, so he could match with everything Hakyeon wears. Besides, Hakyeon just wants a kitten to take care of.”

Youngjae nodded, “Junhong got one too. His name is Jongup and apparently he dances. Junhong is going to get him during his lunch break so I'll meet him around 3.”

“Have you thought about getting one?”

Youngjae shook his head, “No but I have a strange suspicion that noona will buy one for me.”

Jaebum blinked, “How do you know?”

Youngjae opened his mouth but then their food arrived. They took a small break to start savoring their food. After a couple spoonfuls of mango, Youngjae spoke.

“She's been looking at the Little Kitten website when she thinks I'm not looking and she's been stocking up on supplies, that I think are for Little Kittens. Noona is not the type to have a Little Kitten and my birthday is on Sunday, so I'm probably going to get one.”

“Do you mind if you get one?”

Youngjae shook his head, “I'm sure he's going to be cute since my noona knows my taste. So I'll probably spoil him haha. What about you?”

Jaebum ate a fry, “Probably not. If Hakyeon gets one, then..” Jaebum blushed, “The kitten will be like our baby.”

Youngjae laughed, “You are so thirsty, aren't you?” Jaebum nodded, “I can't help it. He's just..just...y and I want him.”

“Like third base want?” Jaebum bit his lip. 

“Not yet but maybe.” Youngjae's eyebrows rose, “Well you better get some lube and condoms, just in case. Be prepared.”

“Yeah I know. But for now I'm happy to make out with him.”

They fell into silence, eating their food. They made small chat, talking about school and love until Youngjae looked at his phone and swore. If he didn't leave now, he'd be late for class. He finished his shaved ice and slung on his backpack. 

“I got to go. I'll see you later.”

Jaebum waved him off and Youngjae quickly made his way to class. He barely made it with 5 minutes left. He sat next to his classmate Luhan and pulled out his Chemistry homework, passing it up to the front. He actually paid attention this time since he really needed to pass this class. He ignored Donghae talking to his friend Eunhyuk and he briefly watched Taeyeon play with her Little Kitten Jessica. To be honest, Youngjae was hoping his noona would buy him a Little Kitten. He wanted to cuddle in bed with a cute kitten and spoil him with tons of clothes. He could even draw inspiration from a kitten. 

Once his class was over, he stayed in his seat since his next class was in the same room. He had 15 minutes to himself, which he spent looking up clothes for Little Kittens. He bookmarked skinny jeans and small leather jackets, stuff that he would wear for himself in his nights out. His Little Kitten would be so stylish. He also bookmarked a page with treats that Little Kittens really liked, such as catnip made for Little Kittens and mini houses built for them. Nothing was too expensive for him since his family had some money due to the fact his dad was a CEO of a technology company. He made enough for them to live nicely. It helped that Little Kitten supplies were cheap since it was basically clothing for small children, just with some adjustments for their tail. 

Soon people started coming in for Calculus and Youngjae got a text from Jaebum, saying he would be a little late. He was getting his homework from his locker. Youngjae put his backpack on the seat next to him and sighed. Along with Jaebum and Hakeyeon, Eunji was also in this class. She liked to sit behind and ogle him, which made uncomfortable but at least she didn't sit next to him. Close to class starting, Jaebum came walking into the room, with Hakyeon behind him. Jaebum's hair was sticking up and Hakyeon's neck looked a bit red, making Youngjae snicker. Looks like they were having fun. He moved his backpack and let Jaebum sit next to him. He could also feel Eunji sit behind him. He sighed and tried to ignore the sensation of her eyes roaming over him. It was going to be one hell of a class.