Chapter 8: Being Manager

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

        It was pure silence in the van as they drove to their first schedule alone together. Frankly, none of the new managers had ever gotten to this point so Yoongi was at a loss. Maia on the other hand was nervous about being a manager on her own finally. Each of them were stuck in their own thoughts so it was a rather comfortable silence, not that either of them noticed. Yoongi sat there regretting how he had hugged her when he got out of the locked room and cringing, wanting nothing but to bang his head into the dashboard in shame. Why did he do that? He glanced over at her concentrated driving. After the performance, he had agreed to go through the original schedule of the day, since she did save him and all.  

        "Hyung," he recalled Jungkook approaching him afterwards. "she believed in you."

        "What?"

        "Everyone thought you finally ran off to make a point that you could be a soloist and you were better than us." Jungkook explained. "But Maia defended you and said you would never give up on a chance to perform and disappoint everyone."

        Yoongi had to admit he was surprised that she bore any positive outlook of him considering how terrible he had been acting towards her.

        "And you guys?" he questioned curiously.

        "Honestly, I had my doubts but she brought me back to my senses." the maknae chuckled shyly. "I don't know why you've been acting the way you have hyung, but I don't think Maia is an enemy. She's a really nice person."

        Yoongi studied Jungkook's timid expression as he complimented their new manager. He simply hummed in acknowledgement and walked away back to his waiting room. In no time, Maia stepped in and asked if he wanted to go home or the studio. He was grateful that she didn't push the schedules onto him, but it made him feel guilty for being so difficult.

        "I'll go."

        "What?"

        "The original schedule." he held the piece of paper up. "I'll go to it."

        Maia grinned widely, relieved that she wouldn't have to apologize and make up excuses for his absences.

        "You don't have to be so darn happy about it." Yoongi scoffed shyly, embarrassed at her genuinely joyful reaction.

        And so here they were, en route to the entertainment company that offered to buy his song. He wasn't lying when he didn't want to give them his song; he didn't have a specific reason, but he had an odd feeling that something was off about them. Or was he just being too uptight again?

        He exhaled as Maia turned into the parking lot. It wouldn't hurt just to discuss details anyway. It was just exhausting. But he was curious as to how Maia would handle the situation; she was a good make-up artist and stylist but he wondered if she was really a good manager.

        "So, did you mean it when you said you didn't want to give them your song?" she asked as she turned off the engine.

        Yoongi stared at her and nodded.

        "Why?"

        "Bad feeling." he simply answered. He didn't want to explain himself to her further than that.

        "Okay." Maia nodded seriously and got out of the van.

        Yoongi watched her, puzzled. He had expected some sort of snide comment or further questioning, not a simple answer. He furrowed his brows as he stepped out and followed his new manager into the building. They were ushered into a conference room quickly. Yoongi slumped into a comfortable chair, taking on an arrogant posture while Maia fiddled around with the door knob curiously. He had to look confident that his song was worth the price after all. Maia spared a glance of amusement his way at his tactic as she made her way to her seat beside him. She then began scanning through the documents necessary for this meeting. Yoongi on the other hand was scrolling through his phone mindlessly. Both of their faces became serious once the door opened.

        "Hello!" a man in a suit grinned and outstretched his hand. "Thank you for coming out to meet us today. I know Suga-ssi has a busy, busy schedule. And you must be the new manager!"

        Maia smiled and bowed. "I'm Lee Maia."

        "Mr. Park." the man introduced.

        Yoongi nodded and politely shook his hand. Two more people walked into the room wearing business attire.

        "This is our producer and my secretary."

        "It's rare to see a CEO come out to meet the producers themselves." Maia smiled chillingly, causing Yoongi to look at her curiously.

        "Well," Mr. Park laughed. "we're a relatively small company so we don't have as many workers."

        Maia chuckled, lightening the tension slightly, while she spread out her papers. "Well let's get down to the business, shall we? We have a tight schedule."

        "Of course, of course." Mr. Park snapped his fingers and his secretary handed him a bunch of papers. "We heard the clip of Suga-ssi's guide song and we were very intrigued by the song for one of our upcoming groups."

        Yoongi felt everything that came out of the man's mouth was rather vague. This whole company was quite sketchy in his opinion. Who in their right mind would be interested in an incomplete guide song? But if they were desperate enough maybe. And he was Min Yoongi after all. Who wouldn't want his song?

        "What about the song did you enjoy?" Maia questioned.

        The question surprised both Yoongi and Mr. Park, flustering the latter.

        "Oh, it's very upbeat-- catchy like most of his songs." he answered nonchalantly.

        Yoongi furrowed his brow, but Maia clicked her pen calmly. He didn't like this at all, but he was more astonished by Maia's calm demeanor.

        "Well, let's talk about this contract you suggested about this transaction."

        "Before we talk about the deal, we really would like to hear the full song." Mr. Park commented. "It's only proper that we get the full product."

        Yoongi was about to open his mouth to protest when Maia grinned mischievously.

        "I'm afraid we can't release the product until we've come to terms with the flaws of this contract, Mr. Park."

        Shivers crawled up Yoongi's spine at her tone. What was she up to?

        Mr. Park cleared his throat, "What do you mean flaws of this contract?"

        "Well for one, I think the percentage share is quite unfair. 90% for you and 10% for Suga-ssi, after he did all the hard work of making lyrics and music? And then here, when you say, in rather complex vocabulary, that my client here won't be mentioned in the album at all. Isn't that discrediting his music was ever really his in the first place?" Maia threw the papers up in the air. "The rest of this contract is pretty much garbage honestly. It's written eloquently but about nothing substantial."

        "Well," the CEO exhaled, trying to maintain his composure. "we can always change the terms of the contract and edit it when we hear the full song. If we like it, we can work through the details to smooth it out. If we don't, then you don't have to worry about it. There's no need to get worked up over a few mistakes and bad writing."

        Maia folded her arms and sat back, "Tell me, Mr. Park, how long have you been a CEO?"

        Mr. Park was now looking around the room nervously. "2-3 years. We're still fairly new as I said..."

        Yoongi realized he wasn't breathing in his seat as he glanced back and forth between the CEO and Maia.

        "Do you know it's against the law to steal, CEO Park?" Maia smirked as she glanced at the other two workers.

        Yoongi blinked at the strong accusation.

        "What're you talking about, Miss Lee?" he chuckled. "You have some sense of humor."

        "I'm quite aware that you have an audio recorder prepared in three different places in your persons. That phone is blinking signaling that its voice recorder is on. That pen on your jacket and that Ipad underneath your stack of papers." Maia pinpointed the items with ease. "Not to mention that camera up there isn't a regular security camera, but one that picks up sound." Maia pointed at the corner of the room. "It's also why you're so insistent on having us play the full song before making the deal. You could clearly record the song from the original composer once you heard the entire thing, make it into something you yourself produced, and sell it."

        The CEO was at a loss for words. He and the other two were sweating now as Maia typed something into her phone, maintaining her intense momentum.

        "Sorry, but I don't think I can let you get away with scamming hardworking artists. This tactic may have worked for desperate young producers so you got bold and arrogant. But you chose the wrong artist to scam." Maia smiled and waved her phone. "The police should be here any second."

        "You don't have any proof of that!" Mr. Park bellowed.

        "Your company doesn't exist, sir, and when you look at this address, multiple unknown composers have filed reports that they found their songs released by other companies. Since they were small bait, the company could pay them off fairly and you could get away with it." Maia chuckled. "But you really, really messed up this time. I'm sure these composers will recognize your face immediately and that's proof enough."

        Yoongi's eyes widened as the situation finally dawned on him.

        Mr. Park and the two others snarled and rushed to the door to make their escape but it was locked.

        "I fiddled around with it a bit before you got here."

        The image of Maia curiously studying the door knob while he was choosing his sitting pose flashed across his mind. He was stunned. Had she had this planned out all along?

        "Oh, and Mr. Park." Maia chuckled as she sat on the table proudly. "The guide song we put out there was a ballad."

        Mr. Park growled angrily and was about to lunge at Maia. But the police barged through the door on cue and hurried to arrest the three trying to scramble away.

        "Good work, Maia." a particularly handsome police officer stepped forward, baring his muscular arms and dimpled cheeks.

        Yoongi looked him up and down, irritated at his perfect physique and height. Maia blushed and bowed, "Thank you for coming so quickly, and trusting me."

        "Well, it's the least I could do. You have an odd knack for catching bad guys." the man laughed. "But it surprised me more when you said you were a manager of a famous boy group!"

        Even Yoongi couldn't stop himself from admiring the good-looking officer. He coughed to get their attention, feeling like a background character this entire time.

        "Oh." Maia jumped. "This is BTS's Suga, the idol I'm managing. Suga-ssi, this is Officer Choi. He was my sunbae in high school and a close family friend."

        Officer Choi chuckled and firmly shook Yoongi's hand. Yoongi winced and stretched his fingers from the strength of his grip.

        "Well, take it easy, Maia." he ruffled her hair. "I'll make sure to keep your name a secret from the reports."

        "Please and thank you." Maia grinned as she waved to him goodbye.

        "Nice to meet you, Suga-ssi."

        Yoongi nodded, trying to be cool to keep his pride and masculinity. Maia exhaled and slouched into a chair.

        "I can't believe that worked."

        "Did you know this whole time?"

        "When you said you had a bad feeling, I became more cautious." Maia shrugged, nonchalantly. "I also felt like it was an odd offer, but I honestly didn't think you would agree to coming so I didn't worry about it."

        "So... you just made this plan on the fly?" Yoongi questioned.

        "I mean the door knob was an intuitive decision but I certain it was a scam when I got to look at the documents before they stepped into the room."

        Yoongi blinked at her blankly then proceeded to cover his face and laugh. Maia looked around, confused. What was so funny? Yoongi cracked up and clutched his stomach, his head reeling over the entire situation he had witnessed.

        "That's absolutely ridiculous." he scoffed, bewildered.  

        "Thank...you?" Maia hesitated, not sure if that was a compliment.

        Yoongi exhaled trying to catch his breath, realizing he hadn't had a good laugh in a long time. To think this whole plan was a gamble and it went through perfectly; it was absolutely crazy.

        "You're a worthy slave." he condescendingly patted her head, earning a vicious glare.

        "Maybe I should ask Officer Choi to throw you in jail too." she roughly swatted his hand away.

~

        "They were what??" Manager Sejin bellowed, causing the other members to glance over at him. "The company was a fraud? Are you guys okay? Are you hurt?"

        The maknae line turned to each other and shrugged.

        "I'm inferring that the company Yoongi went to discuss his song ended up being a fraud." Namjoon explained.

        "I hope they're okay." Jin breathed.

        "Min Yoongi. Give me a straight answer." Sejin growled.

        The members in the car froze. YOONGI was on the phone? They stared at each other shocked.

        "We're FINE." Yoongi drawled. "I just wanted to let you know that Big Hit screwed up with taking the offer. It's not my job to but Mini manager here is driving."

        "Tch." Maia clicked her tongue in annoyance.

        "She can't drive and talk on the phone at the same time." he scoffed.

        "That's illegal." Manager Sejin rolled his eyes.

         "Anyway yeah, she dealt with it and the police arrested them. So that's that." Yoongi shrugged.

        "Put the phone on speaker." Manager Sejin demanded.

        Yoongi did so obediently.

        "Hello?" Maia answered nervously.

        "You're sure you're okay?"

        "Don't worry. There were a lot of tougher scammers trying to trick YG." Maia giggled.

        "Alright." Sejin exhaled in relief. "Since you two seem to be getting along, you can start studio duty with him tonight."

        "Studio ...what?"

        Yoongi groaned. "I'm not 5! I don't need someone to babysit me in the studio!"

        "Call me when he's at the radio show and I'll tell you the details." Manager Sejin instructed.

        "Sure thing."

        Yoongi exhaled, irritated and hung up. Maia shook her head at his immaturity but smiled to herself. It was her chance to finally get some time to practice.  

~

        Jungkook huffed as he threw a towel on top of his head and walked out of the practice room. Curiously, he heard upbeat hip hop music coming from the trainee studio, and he grinned. It had been a week since Maia became responsible for studio duty, but only he and Jin knew that there was an ulterior motive. He tiptoed and peeked through the window to watch her practice. His jaw dropped as her shirt hung loosely off her shoulder as she danced. His breath hitched and he ducked down timidly. Would he look like a  peeper? He shook his head. No, he was just watching her dancing skills. That's it - only her dancing skills.

        Once he got past her wardrobe, he was doubly stunned by her technique. She was a natural dancer. Her moves were crisp, and although it was rough around the edges currently, she had really wonderful potential. He smiled to himself as he walked away. She would debut in no time.

~

        "Jungkook! ~" Jimin sang, holding a video camera for a Bangtan Bomb.

        Jungkook hurried away from his voice, wanting to avoid his hyung's affection at all costs. He gasped and jumped into a dark corner when he spotted Maia ahead of him, watching the trainee practice curiously. Peeking out from his hiding place behind a banner, he observed her taking notes and pressing her ear onto the door, not minding the odd looks she was getting from the other workers.

        "Kook-ah~" Jimin's voice echoed and he flattened himself against the wall, praying to blend into the darkness.

        Maia flinched and hurried away, afraid to be spotted by any of the BTS members. Jungkook covered his mouth as Jimin hummed happily past where he was hiding. He waited a few minutes and determined that the coast was clear. Just as he was about to bolt out, the trainees bustled out for their lunch break, chatting away. Jungkook propelled himself back to his hiding place until they disappeared. Quickly, he scurried into the trainee practice room, out of breath. The dance teacher paused and surprised at his unexpected appearance.

        "May I help you Jungkook-ssi?" he asked, amused as the young maknae's eyes widened.

        He didn't have a plan. What should he say?

        "I umm..." he glanced around, as he thought. "I need a favor..." 


Author's Note: What a first schedule, huh? x) Hope everyone's having a good week so far !!