Chapter 16: Awry Airport

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

         Maia fiddled nervously as she handed the other coordis her suitcase full of Yoongi's stage outfits. She knew airports were a venture from her first hand experience with Big Bang, but with BTS's rising fame and relatively large younger fan base, there were more incidents with them at airports than Big Bang ever had. Maia was well aware of this. And she would never underestimate the excitement and irrationality that often came with being starstruck and being so close to one's idols and role models.

        "We'll try to usher them in waves so the crowd doesn't get too crazy." The head officer explained.

        "I don't think that's a good idea..." Maia frowned.

        The officers looked at Maia with offense, and she pressed her lips together obediently.

        "So let's have them split up in pairs."

        "But there's 7 of us." Jimin stated.

        "One will be with a manager at the end then." the officer stated.

        Maia had a bad feeling about this from her past experiences, but who was she to question it? Maybe it had worked with other idol groups and she didn't know about it?

        The boys picked lots, and the pairs resulted in Jin and Jungkook, Yoongi and Jimin, J-hope and Rapmon, and lastly, Taehyung.

        "The pairs won't be too far from each other. We'll still be able to see each other from a distance. The first pair is going to have the toughest time cause of the excitement--"

        "That's wrong." Maia thought.

        Jungkook and Yoongi observed her cautiously, sensing her discomfort.

        "--and the last pair won't be so bad."

        "That's wrong." She clenched her fist.

        "Manager Sejin, you take the first pair and little Manager, you take the last man." The head officer instructed.

        Everyone nodded and Maia looked disappointed, but prayed she was just over thinking the situation.

        "Will you be alright?" Sejin questioned.

        Maia chuckled and nodded, feigning confidence.

        "Remember she's the woman that singlehandedly beat up two grown muscular males at a bar." Yoongi snorted, earning a glare from her.

        "But nonsensical fans are a little bit...." Sejin frowned.

        "I'll be okay. I'll take good care of Tae." Maia smiled, trying hard to believe everything was going to truly go well.

        "Alright, we'll head out first then." Sejin nodded.

        Jungkook glanced back at Maia who waved at him encouragingly. He smiled slightly and hurriedly glued himself between Jin and Manager Sejin.

        "Don't hurt anyone." Yoongi smirked before he left with Jimin and a few other staff members.

        Maia scoffed and shook her head.

        After a few minutes, it was finally their turn.

        "Come on Mai-Mai!" Tae grinned and held his hand out.

        "Huh?" She looked at it.

        "Manager Sejin always holds my hand at the airport." Taehyung blinked at her innocently.

        "I--uhh well that's a bit..." she blushed.

        Taehyung chuckled and clasped his hand onto hers. "So we don't get separated, okay?"

        Maia smiled and nodded. They exhaled as they were ushered out by the last few officers. The first row of fans were calm and Maia felt herself relax. Taehyung had room to greet them and take a few letters, but soon, they heard commotion up ahead. Maia squeezed Taehyung's hand and pulled him a little closer as they saw that there was no longer a road, but instead a huge mob of bodies.

        "W-what is that?" Taehyung gasped.

        "That's what happens when some fans know you're the last one and want their last chance to touch and get close to you." Maia gritted her teeth.

        "What do we do?" He frowned worriedly.

        "Listen, Tae." Maia looked up at him seriously. "When I tell you to run, you keep running straight ahead okay? Hobi and the others should be at check-in already so they'll be waiting."

        "But what about you?"

        "If things get bad, I'll help make a clearing for you along with the officers, okay?" she smiled. "Got it? You'll run as fast as you can?"

        Taehyung frowned, knowing that if worst comes to worst, they would have to resort to that.

        "Let's go?" she asked and he nodded.

 


        "What's happening back there?" Manager Sejin asked worriedly.

        "The others are sure taking their time." Jimin checked his phone.

        Suddenly, RM and J-Hope, with the other staff members arrived, out of breath.

        "What happened?" Jin asked, concerned.

        "The fans...the railings weren't enough to hold them so they began to crowd around closely. We literally had to squeeze out of there." Hobi explained as he tried to regulate his breathing.

        "What about Maia and Tae?" Jungkook questioned frantically. "Did you see them?"

        "We really couldn't see anything when we were in the crowd. I don't know how it was behind us, but it was crazy." Namjoon breathed.

 


        "Please don't touch him!" Maia bellowed as she basically was blocking Taehyung's body from their hands. "Please have some respect!"

        "Shut up! You're touching him! Why can't we?" Some of the fans protested and continued their aggressiveness, while other fans were trying to pull them back and protect their idol.

        Taehyung shrunk, trying to dodge as much as he could, but they were simply too surrounded. Someone pulled at his jacket. He felt hands at his hips, his arms, on his shoulders. Maia did her best to shield him and he was grateful, but there was only so much her little body could cover. The officers were literally tackling down fans, bending their arms behind them to stop their madness.

        "This is why I said it wasn't a good idea to go in waves." Maia groaned, feeling like her insides were being crushed, and she was sure, people were pulling at her hair purposefully.

        Luckily, more officers joined the fray and a small space opened up.

        "Tae, go!" Maia commanded as she pressed her back against the crowd, joining the security guards in their blockade.

        Taehyung stared, horrified at the overwhelming scene in front of him. It shouldn't be like this. It looked straight out of a zombie movie. Their departure shouldn't be like this.

        "Go! Tae!" Maia cried out as she winced.

        Taehyung closed his eyes and ran as fast as he could. He didn't want to leave her; he wanted to help her. They were his fans after all, but this was all he could do. He continued to run forward, until he heard his name uttered with a familiar voice.

        "Taehyung!" Jin gasped.

        Tae burst into tears and sprinted to them.

        "What happened? Where's Maia?" Sejin asked.

        "She's still...she's still back there. She told me to run. She's holding them back until the other officers come. I'm sorry..." He wept, overwhelmed.

        "It's not your fault, Tae." Jimin embraced him comfortingly. "It's no one's fault."

        "I couldn't do anything. They're our fans, why should she...?" He felt frustrated.

        "Aish." Yoongi hissed and threw his stuff on the ground then zoomed away.

        "YOONGI!" Sejin bellowed. "Yoongi! What're you doing?"

 


        "The others should be here soon, Miss. Just hold on a little more." An officer mentioned as they struggled to keep the crowd from running towards the check-in gate.

        "Are you sure I can't just knock them out?" she chuckled, teasingly.

        The officer laughed at her humor. "I'm afraid as an officer I can't knock out an innocent citizen."

        "Guess not." Maia smiled as people continued to shove and hit them to get through.  

        "But as a citizen to another citizen, there are no rules." The officer grinned lightly.

        Maia cackled. "I'm afraid people I care about would get angry if I resorted to violence."

        "Guess we'll just have to hold on until the reinforcements come then."

        "Guess so." she grinned weakly.

        "Maia, you idiot!"

        Maia heard the familiar insult in the midst of the crowd, and she glanced up, surprised.

        "What're you doing, Yoongi?!" she cried. "Go back!"

        "Tch." Yoongi glared at her.

        Finally, a hoard of security guards arrived at the scene.

        "This isn't even in your job description. Come on." Yoongi reached out and grabbed her hand, roughly pulling her away from the crowd.

        Another officer hurriedly filled in her space.

        "Wh-" she protested but he held her hand tightly, irritated.

        "Huh? When did my body reach out and grab her hand?" he wondered, but his mouth opened to say something else, "Seriously! You're so reckless you know?! You could've just run WITH Tae. Was it really necessary to 'sacrifice' yourself like that? It's not your problem and it's not even your job!"

        "Why're you yelling at me? Keeping you guys safe IS my job!" she argued.

        "Not at the expense of your own safety!" he bickered.

        "My sacrifice would've been in vain since you came back! What would've happened to you, huh? If the officers didn't come when they did? We both would've gotten trampled! Didn't you think about that? And let go of my hand!" She tugged.

        Yoongi refused to release her and tightened his grip. "NO, I'm not letting you go."

        Maia's heart skipped a beat, and she furrowed her brows, mumbling. "People are going to think weird things."

        "You did it with Taehyung. I don't see a problem." he muttered, feeling himself warm. "Managers naturally have to do this with their idols."

        They both blushed.

        "So they don't get separated!" he cried out, trying to reason with himself, although he wasn't really sure why he was arguing about it in the first place.

        Maia smiled and tugged him towards her other side, switching hands to dodge a fan from touching either of them. Yoongi felt his cheeks heat up as she initiated the hand hold this time, and proceeded to lead him. She laughed and looked back at him.

        "You're right. You'll probably get lost if I leave you alone." She grinned teasingly and pulled him forward.

        All he could do was stare at her as she zig-zagged through the crowd while making sure he avoided being grabbed. He smiled and squeezed her hand tightly, following closely behind her.

 


        "Maia!" Taehyung jumped and embraced her, encompassing her entirely. "I'm so sorry!"

        Yoongi crossed his arms and scowled as she naturally let go of his hand to hug Taehyung.

        "Tae...." Maia mumbled. "It's okay. You did well."

        "I'm sorry I left you alone. I'm sorry they were like that to you." Tae squeezed her.

        "Tae! I can't breafff!" Maia flapped her hands.

        He quickly let go, "Sorry! I was just so worried!"

        Maia smiled as the others gathered around her.

        Yoongi looked down at his hands. They were still tingling at sensation of her soft touch, strong yet gentle and reliable. He furrowed his brow. Why did his body run back to her instinctively? Why did his hand grab hers so easily and without much second thought? Why was he like this?