Chapter 12: Welcome

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

        Maia rolled out of her bed, stretching out contently and for once since she had started working in BigHit, she was able to sleep in. Since Yoongi was banned from going into the studio during his break, she didn't have to go babysit him until the break of dawn. It felt nice to take her time going about her morning routine. She even had time to perform karaoke in the shower, which she missed so dearly. She was munching on her breakfast when her phone lit up with selca that Jin had taken himself for his contact photo.

        "Oh?" she was surprised and hurriedly answered the call. "Oppa."

        "Annyeong!" Jin greeted brightly. "Are you busy?"

        "Not at all. I'm just finishing up brunch. Did you need something?"

        "Actually, if it's not too much." Jin started. "Do you think you can come grocery shopping with me?"

        Maia heard someone spit something out in the background.

        "Kim Taehyung - what're you doing?" Jin scolded him.

        "But hyung who are you asking out on a date?" Tae asked flabbergasted.

        Jin sighed, "It's not a date. Do you guys want to starve for the rest of the day, huh?"

        "No..." Tae answered defeated then sprung back up. "But who is it? Who is it?"

        "It's Maia. Let me finish speaking with her." Jin shuffled away from Taehyung who was about to snatch the phone away. "Sorry about that. But yea, I would wait until late at night but everyone's home today and I don't want them to go hungry..."

        Maia laughed, "No, it's perfectly fine. I finally was able to pay for two parking spaces in my apartment building so I have my regular car here too. We can take that so it's not too obvious like the black van."

        "You sure it's not too much trouble? I know it's a day off for you too..." Jin mumbled.

        "No, I need groceries too. It'll be more fun shopping together." Maia reassured.

        "Perfect! Let me at least make dinner for you today then, okay?"

        "Oh no! It's--"

        "I'm not taking no for an answer!" Jin cut in. "Let me know when you're on the way. I'm ready whenever so take your time."

        Maia chuckled. "Okay. I'll text you when I leave here then."

        "See you soon~"

        As soon as she hung up, Maia scarfed down her brunch and hurried to get dressed decently. It was definitely an adventure taking care of the boys. There was never a dull moment. First, it was everything with Yoongi. From their fights to the almost scam to the bar fight then to Jungkook getting chased in Hongdae and now Jin, who had his own car and license, needed her to go grocery shopping with him. Being famous really did come with a price, but it made her happy that she could give them a little breathing room. For once, she saw the importance of her job and just how essential it was.

~

        "Alright boys. I'll be back in a few hours. Please Joon, don't break anything while I'm gone." Jin exhaled.

        "I won't! Gosh." Namjoon shook his head, irritated.

        "Yoongi hyung or Jungkook can fix it anyway." Jimin came to his rescue.

        "Text me if you remember something you need then." Jin waved and stepped out of the dorm.

        Maia was humming in the car as she waited for Jin to get out. Suddenly, there was a light knocking on her window and she was met with a brightly grinning Seokjin. She gestured for him to hop into the front passenger seat and he shuffled over.

        "Hey!" he greeted as he entered her car. "Thanks so much for taking me. I don't know the last time I was in a store in broad daylight."

        Maia chuckled. "Anytime. I really don't mind."

        Jin buckled up and clapped. "Let's go go go!"

        Other than the fact that Jin was one of the members who knew about her predicament, she always felt very at ease around him. He had the kind of personality that was very flexible, which helped bring the team together. He got along with everyone in different ways and was able to adapt his personality to make them feel comfortable. When they needed to have fun, he could be carefree and vibrant. If they needed to be controlled and scolded, he could be authoritative too. With Maia, he was like a friend. Warm, welcoming, and not overbearing. He watched out for her, but also conversed with her to get to know her better. They got along very well.

        As soon as they parked, Jin grabbed a shopping cart and insisted they just share one to make it easier to move around. Maia couldn't argue against it so she followed behind him as he led the way. Boldly, he was sporting his bare face and casual clothing. It was undeniable that he was naturally handsome. He marched to the first aisle with no qualms about the eyes following him, probably already used to it. Maia watched him quietly as he eyed different products.

        "I know I'm handsome, but you need to get your shopping done, Maia." he chuckled as he picked up a jar of kimchi.

        Maia laughed at his comment and went to grab a smaller jar for herself. "I was just wondering how it doesn't bother you that people are staring."

        "They're just amazed by my good looks." he playfully stated. "It's a compliment."

        Maia shook her head at his blatant confidence, but it was definitely one of his charms.

        "But honestly, I feel more comfortable with you around." he mentioned as he grabbed a few more items from the shelf.

        "Me?"

        "Yeah." Jin chuckled. "Instead of looking like I'm being babysat, it looks like I'm shopping with my girlfriend."

        Maia blushed as he joked around.

        "Although I love Manager Sejin, he's very quiet and doesn't really do the shopping so he's more like a bodyguard than a companion. With you, I have both!" Jin explained as he turned the corner to the next aisle.

        Maia smiled as she placed some of her items into the cart.

        "Oh! Take a picture of me!" Jin posed in the middle of the aisle, leaning against the cart.

        Maia laughed and snapped a picture with her phone.

        "Maybe I'll become an advertising model if it goes viral." Jin teased.

        Maia snorted.

        But it wasn't the end of his photoshoot. He exhibited various poses in different aisles, even while holding vegetables and fruits. Maia couldn't contain her laughter at his childlike enthusiasm. He didn't care if people were looking at him weird or that the few fans that were there by chance were taking videos and pictures. He did what he wanted to do and he was content with it.

        "Wahh. Those were great pictures." he skimmed through them as Maia spoke to the fans to give them some space.

        Jin glanced at their cart and noticed Maia had placed in a few vegetables.

        "Maia. Come here. I'm going to show you a trick." he grinned as he called her over.

        Maia bowed to the fans and thanked them for their courtesy then hurried over.

        "Are you using this today?" he held up her lettuce.

        "Umm no..." Maia shook her head.

        "This is going to be fresh for only a few days. Not worth the price. Follow me." Jin gestured and Maia pushed the cart back to the lettuce piles. "This is my secret trick to finding the best, long lasting, lettuce. You ready?"

        Maia chuckled and nodded. Jin leaned over to whisper his trick.

        "It applies with most vegetables."

        "Ahh that makes sense." Maia's eyes widened at the realization. "I would've never thought about that."

        "Right?" Jin grinned proudly. "My mom drilled tricks into my head when I was younger and I'm thankful for it."

        Maia smiled sadly, remembering how she had to figure out everything on her own. She remembered bits and pieces from when she was younger, and sometimes she'd be able to chat to her mom about it, but essentially, she was on her own.

        "Ooo! Samples! Let's go!" Jin patted her arm roughly and sprinted over. Leaving their cart behind, they made their way through the samples. Jin would test them and nod in acknowledgement then move onto the next. Later on, he would tell Maia that he knew how to make it and to let him know if she wanted them. To say she was impressed was an understatement. She had never been particularly picky with food and her taste buds weren't refined enough to tell ingredients apart. What was good to her was tasty and what wasn't well, wasn't.

        "Oh don't get me wrong. I love to eat whatever. I just like to figure out how to cook it too." Jin commented. "Plus you have to know what taste is missing in your dish so you could figure out what spice you need to add."

        "Please teach me oh great cook." Maia bowed. "I don't have the same level of expertise and I've been cooking for years."

        Jin laughed. "Help me out in the kitchen for tonight then. Learn a new recipe."

        Maia smiled and nodded, taking him up on his offer.

        "But first, let's stop by a cafe?" he questioned. "I really don't want to go home just yet."

        She laughed as she placed her items on the check-out table. "Yeah, I might need a little coffee kick before we head back to the dorm."

        Jin grinned knowingly. "Probably."

        After paying, they loaded Maia's car with their groceries and decided to just walk to the nearby cafe. Since it was the middle of a weekday, there weren't a lot of people inside so they quickly found a table in the back corner. They ordered their drinks and brought them back to the table, excited about being out and about for a change.

        "How do you like working with us so far?" Jin started.

        "I mean now that Yoongi and I are fighting less, I enjoy it." she answered cheerfully.

        "I'm really glad." he smiled shyly. "And I'm glad you agreed to come out with me today. I really wanted to sit and chat with you."

        Maia blinked at him, surprised.

        "Me?"

        "Yeah." Jin laughed. "I mean you just kind of got thrown into the mess we're in, but you're taking it in stride. I'm very impressed and intrigued by you."

        She blushed and sipped her drink shyly. "You guys are much more impressive. But I appreciate the compliment."

        He beamed at her. "Whenever you debut, I'm sure you'll be much more amazing than we are. We should get a large headstart before you kick us out of the charts."

        Maia waved her hand and shook her head. "Oh no. Definitely not."

        "But seriously," Jin took a sip of his drink. "I really wanted to thank you for everything."

        "Huh?"

        "Ever since you joined the team, I've been seeing positive changes in Yoongi and Jungkook so I'm really grateful for you."

        "Oh no, I really didn't do anything."

        "Just being yourself is enough. Don't discredit yourself." he grinned. "And learn to take a compliment. It's charming, if I can say so myself."

        Maia laughed and nodded. "I'll learn from your example then."

        "I'm the best example." Jin snorted at his own self-compliment, knowing it was ridiculous. "But seriously, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to let me know. I can give a mean scolding if need be. And I'm Yoongi's roommate so he can't escape from me."

        Maia giggled, "I'll keep that in mind."

        "Do you play video games?" Jin questioned.

        "Uh yeah. I played a lot with the YG trainees and the Big Bang sunbaenims." she answered. "Oh. I heard you really liked Super Mario?"

        His lips curled up as he nodded. "I'll show you my figurine collection later."

        Jin wanted to get to know her better. From the beginning he had gotten a feeling that his prayers had been answered when she came into the picture. But never in a million years would he have thought that Yoongi and Jungkook could make small yet significant improvements in such a short span of time. He knew she was kind, endearing, and friendly, but with each new challenge that was thrown at her, he was reminded again of her fiery determination and unique charms. As he watched her talk animatedly about her life and her passions, he said another internal prayer, hoping she would be the one to help bring back the Yoongi the band cherished.

~

        After getting to know each other at the cafe, Maia dropped off her groceries at her apartment then they made their way to the dorm. It was fairly quiet when they arrived and it seemed like they had cleaned up, knowing that she was staying for dinner.

        "I made sure it was more presentable than last time." Jin laughed. "They're all probably in their rooms relaxing. I'm going to throw my sheets into the washer, can you start putting the stuff inside the fridge?"

        "Yeah, sure thing." Maia nodded and grabbed the plastic bags.

        She opened the fridge and found it pretty much empty, save some cans of soda and condiments. Chuckling at the sad state of their refrigerator, she began organizing the food inside.

        "Oh? You're here?" a hoarse voice called out.

        "What?" Maia stood up and stepped away from the open fridge to find a shirtless, half asleep Yoongi in front of her, scratching his chest.

        Their eyes enlarged at the unexpected sight of each other and they screamed loudly.

        "WHAT'RE YOU DOING HERE?!" Yoongi bellowed as he hugged his torso angrily.

        "WHY'RE YOU SHIRTLESS? OH MY GOD!" Maia covered her face and turned around. Her cheeks warmed significantly.

        "THIS IS MY DORM! YOU'RE THE ONE THAT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!"

        Jin rushed in, out of breath after hearing the screams. The others stepped out of their rooms curiously as well.

        "Ohohohoho." Taehyung jeered as he raised his eyebrows seductively at the scene before him.

        Namjoon smacked his arm.

        "Yoongi, I invited her over for dinner. I told you this this morning!" Jin shoved a shirt at him.

        "When I was asleep? Yeah, totally remember." Yoongi rolled his eyes as he threw the shirt on. "And you! Don't turn around like you've never seen a shirtless man before!"

        Maia glared at him. "Usually they're men I WANT to see shirtless."

        "Ohhhh." the other members cringed at the burn.

        Yoongi huffed.

        "Alright. Enough." Jin stepped in between them. "Maia and I are making dinner together so the kitchen is off limits. Do what you're supposed to out in the living room, okay?"

        The members groaned about not being able to get drinks and snacks but trudged to the living room obediently.

        "Sorry about that." Jin sighed. "I guess he heard me take my sheets off during his nap and assumed it was me behind the fridge."

        "It's okay. Just a little shocking is all." Maia blushed.

        Jin grinned and nudged her teasingly. "Surprising right? You didn't think he had a decent figure with all the sitting he does."

        "Oppa!" Maia winced at his joke.

        Jin cackled as he started taking out the ingredients and tools they needed.

        While they were busy bustling around in the kitchen, the others spread themselves out around the living room. Taehyung was on the floor drawing and coloring, his feet wagging behind him while he hummed a little tune. Jungkook and Jimin were on their table drawing with concentrated looks. Hoseok was cutting stuff out using construction paper as he lounged on the couch while Namjoon had his brows furrowed, scribbling words onto a piece of paper in a one seater.

        "MAI MAI." Taehyung shouted.

        "Yes?" Maia answered.

        "What's your favorite color?"

        "Uh green, black, and like a Tiffany blue. Why?" Maia questioned curiously.

        The other members in the living room were now stomping on Taehyung lightly, hissing at him to be quiet.

        "Uhh..." Taehyung giggled. "Just wondering. I'm drawing you a picture!"

        The others face palmed their forehead and shook their heads.

        "Aww that's so sweet! Can't wait to see it!" Maia giggled as she continued to cut some carrots.

        Taehyung grinned and stuck his tongue out at the others for freaking out. Everyone else exhaled in relief.

        After washing up, Yoongi marched out of his room and glanced at the others inquisitively.

        "What're you guys doing?" he asked loudly.

        Hurriedly, Hoseok and Jimin covered his mouth and carried him into the closest room. Jin exhaled as he heard the others shuffle around in the living room but was glad Maia was too focused on cooking to notice their odd movements.

        Yoongi exhaled as he came back out with Hoseok and Jimin and to everyone's surprise, grabbed a piece of paper and a few markers. He felt everyone's stare and he glared at them.

        "What? I want to draw. Got a problem?"

        Everyone quickly shook their heads and returned to what they were doing. Yoongi joined Taehyung on the ground, putting in his earphones as he doodled on the page.

        "Voila! A big feast for today!" Jin bellowed as he and Maia finished setting up the table.

        It was filled with a variety of side dishes and the main dish. She and Jin grinned proudly at their hard work. Jin snapped a picture of it and called out.

        "READY?"

        "Yes!" the others cheered.

        "What?" Maia raised an eyebrow at the weird dinner call but soon, Jin covered her eyes with his hands.

        "I'll lead you, don't worry." he commented. "Keep walking forward."

        Maia did as she was told curiously. Once she stepped into the living room, Jin removed his hands and she was hit with confetti and loud sounds from the noisemaker Taehyung was blowing into obnoxiously.

        "WELCOME TO THE TEAMMM!" the boys cheered excitedly, minus Yoongi was just standing while Jimin and Hoseok raised his arms up.

        Maia gasped as she realized they had decorated the living room. There was a big "Welcome" sign above the couch with skillfully cut out designs stuck on the walls. She covered gratefully; she didn't know what to say.

        "We never officially welcomed you." Jin explained, smiling widely. "So the boys and I decided to do something for you. It's not much --"

        Maia shook her head, still bewildered. "It's more than enough. Thank you so much."

        "Mai-Mai, I drew a picture for you like I said." Taehyung giggled as he handed her a piece of paper. It looked like a young child drew it, but it had its own endearing charm. "That's you and me!"

        Tae pointed at the figures on the page as he explained his masterpiece.

        "I drew one for you too, Noona." Jimin handed her a piece of paper. "I hope you like it."

        "Yeah...I drew one too...." Jungkook looked around awkwardly as he slipped his drawing in with the other two. "I tried to think of what would be good to put on your wall in your new apartment."

        "Thanks." Maia smiled warmly, causing the youngest to blush.

        "I made the figures on the wall. Aren't they nice?" Hoseok cut in and showed off his intricate displays. "And I wrote the 'Welcome' sign."

        "Wahhh they're amazing!" she clapped happily. "You're great Hobi."

        He beamed, taking in the compliment.

        "Since no one lets me near things I can break, I wrote you a letter. It's from all of us." Namjoon handed her an envelope. "Please read it later."

        Maia bowed as she received it and embraced the handmade gifts she was given. She felt tears forming but she swallowed them down.

        "I -- really--" she stammered, unable to find the right words. "Thank you so much."

        Jin rubbed her back comfortingly. "You're welcome."

        He turned to the others. "Let's eat?"

        Everyone cheered and hurried to the kitchen as Maia put the items into her purse for safe keeping. That night was filled with loud laughter as all of the boys recounted embarrassing stories to their guest. Maia jumped in with some of her own funny experiences which had them all gasping for air. They gave her a tour of the house and they played games together. She felt much closer to them with each conversation. They were opening up to each other finally and she couldn't help but feel overjoyed. She didn't just get to know the team she was managing, she had gained a close group of friends.

        Not only did she have quality time with the other members she never got to see, she was also able to see Yoongi in a different environment. She saw a long glimpse of the person he had been before. He grumbled when he lost but made up lame excuses as to why he made a mistake, which no one bought. When he won, he acted nonchalant yet smug. She chuckled, thinking about it. All of them were entertaining to be around. They were all a breath of sunshine and what's better is that she felt like she could connect with them since they were all the same age. She drove back home with the largest grin on her face.

        Once back into her apartment, she hurriedly opened up her computer, wanting to type down her thoughts and the memories from today. She didn't want to forget anything about her journey to pursuing her dream. After finishing up her record, she reached for her bag, in order to take a good look at everyone's gifts to her. She hung Tae's drawing on her fridge and returned to examine the other two. She flattened out Jimin's beautiful drawing. It had intricate shading and mysterious figures. It was gorgeous. When she opened up Jungkook's, she gasped. In her favorite colors, he had drawn out eloquently, the phrase, "We believe in you" and drew little cartoons of the BTS members around the letters. She was overwhelmingly touched by their actions and decided that her heart couldn't take Namjoon's written letter at the moment, but she wanted to put it by her bedside for later. Her hand rummaged through her bag once again and lifted up the letter. She paused as something underneath caught her eye.

        "Hm?" she blinked as she found another piece of paper folded up tightly at the bottom of her bag.

        She didn't remember anyone giving it to her. Curiously unfolding its many layers, she found a familiar handwriting in the center of the paper surrounded by nonsensical doodles.

        "Don't be late or else I'll fire you."

        Maia chuckled and shook her head. Who else would make her work so hard to open a letter that contained absolutely nothing? She laughed but placed it on the pile with the others as a keepsake. Even if it wasn't obvious and even if it may not have been what he meant, to her, his words meant that he was slowly accepting her as a manager and that made her happy. Lying down on her bed, she exhaled, not able to take the smile she had worn all day off.

        "Min Yoongi... you're ridiculous." 


A/N: Hey everyone ~ I hope you're all doing well! Like I mentioned previously, I'm going to do chapters for each of the members that aren't exactly the main characters of the story. They're still overall important to the plot so I hope you enjoy them.This chapter highlighted our lovable eldest, Kim Seokjin :) teehee and sorry, I had no idea about how to choose the freshest lettuce in the pile. But if anyone has a tip, please feel free to share with me cause I need it x) haha