Chapter 13: Her Voice

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

A/N: Hi everyone :) so I'm doing this note in the beginning because I wanted to explain how I have this habit (?) of listening to songs (or even just hearing them while shopping or in passing) and figuring out which BTS member's voice suits the song/singer lol (like how I'm convinced that Taehyung can make a great Phantom of the Opera cause of his voice <3). It's like a little fun past time that me and my friends have so I incorporated some of that in here. Take a listen to the songs when you have time and let me know if you agree :D or if you also do something similar haha anyways enjoy the new chapter ~


         Maia honked three times as was their custom now and soon the boys flooded out of their dorm happily.

        "Mai-Mai!" Taehyung giggled as he skipped to the car.

        "I brought snacks for the long drive." Jin held up a plastic bag thoughtfully as he hopped into the front passenger seat.

        "Thanks. I'm going to need it." Maia chuckled.

        They had a long drive to an open charity concert, but she didn't mind. She enjoyed the thought of having bonding time with the other guys and it felt very summer camp-ish. Yoongi slipped inside, his headphones already in his ears to drown out the noise from his energetic members. Namjoon was curled up in the back, his neck pillow already in place. The maknae line and Hoseok chatted enthusiastically as Maia began to move the van.

        After a few minutes, the loudness died out as everyone focused on their own devices and their own thoughts. Jin looked back curiously then smiled at Maia.

        "Should I turn on some music?" he questioned brightly.

        "Please." Maia chuckled.

        "DJ Jin at your service!" Jin laughed as he plugged in his phone. "Sing this with me Mai!"

        "Eh?" Maia furrowed her brows.

        The boys in the back sat up curiously while Yoongi continued to stare out the window.

        "Oh come on. You can't refuse. I'm playing it. You definitely know it." Jin nudged as he turned up the volume.

        Maia laughed as she heard the familiar instrumental intro.

["We Fell in Love" - Gain & JoKwon - Jin's voice fits JoKwon's imo x)]

        She inhaled and began singing, bouncing her head side to side happily. Jin grinned widely as he sang along with the male part. Taehyung and Hoseok's eyes widened as they looked at each other in astonishment. Jungkook smiled shyly as he swayed his head and torso along with the song as well. Jin continued singing seriously with Maia, even doing the cute gestures and dance moves.

        "Eeyyy!" Tae and Hobi cheered excitedly, startling a sleeping Namjoon and Jimin. Jin and Maia continued the song, trying to fight the giggles surfacing from Hobi's and Tae's interval adlibs of "Eyyy!" accompanied by dabs.

        "Wahhh!" Hoseok and Taehyung exhaled in awe and clapped extendedly once the song was over.

        "Yah, why're you a manager if you have a voice like that?" Hoseok commented.

        "Daebak! You're really good, Mai-Mai."

        Maia blushed as she focused on the road. Jin glanced over at her and smiled gently.

        "No use hiding your talent Maia. Plus we'll have more lengthy car rides so it's a good time for karaoke." Jin giggled.

        "Me next! I want to put on a song for Mai-Mai to sing with me!" Taehyung lunged forward and shoved his phone to Jin, startling the elder.

        "Alright, alright. You scared me!" Jin breathed, calming himself down. He glanced at the phone and shook his head. "Really?"

        "Why??" Taehyung shrugged and clicked his tongue suavely. "Hit it."

        "Oh boy. What if I don't know it..." Maia chuckled.

        Namjoon and Jimin rubbed their eyes, trying to collect themselves and figure out what the commotion was about.

["Can I Love You" - IU & Kim Soo Hyun "Dream High" version = Cause Tae's voice totally fits <3]

        "Maebeon majuchil ttaemada. Niga useojul ttaemada." Taehyung sang seriously as the boys groaned at his overacting.

        Maia cracked up at his song choice but joined in fluidly, causing an intent silence in the car. Taehyung clutched his chest dramatically but they both harmonized and sang well regardless. Jimin's eyes grew and he nudged Jungkook beside him. Jungkook chuckled and nodded knowingly, his earphones long since discarded back into his bag. He was enjoying hearing her singing once more. It had resonated with him during her audition and he couldn't shake off the feeling. She was really skilled; it gave him goosebumps all over again. Yoongi on the other hand subtly paused his music, keeping his earphones in, and smiled out the window while he listened to her voice secretly.

        "Noona, do you know BTS songs?" Jimin called out.

        "Of course." Maia laughed.

        "Ooooo." the boys cooed.

        "Let's hear you then." Jimin giggled. "I wanna hear you sing it."

        "Oh no, no. How can I? You're all right here." Maia laughed.

        "Do you change your voice? Is that why?" Jin chuckled.

        "Yeah." Maia blushed.

        "Let's do it then!" Jin exclaimed as he scrolled through his phone.

        "NOOOO!" she groaned half-heartedly while the other boys hollered excitedly.

        "Danger. Danger." Jin repeated happily while the others began dancing instinctively when the music began.

        Maia cleared and rapped with the best and most exaggerated Rapmon voice she could muster. The members collapsed into their seats, laughing, as Namjoon looked teasingly offended but enjoyed the fun. Then Maia switched her voice to her impersonation of younger Jungkook then to an over exaggerated high-pitched Jimin. There was laughter roaring throughout the entire car as she continued. Jin glanced back curiously and saw Yoongi biting his bottom lip, trying hard not to join in their giggling at her craziness.

        They spent the entire car ride jamming to various songs and attempting duets. And in no time, they arrived at the concert venue and were rushed to their dressing rooms to get ready. All of the members were in high spirits, enthusiastically coming up with ideas and songs to record with Maia. Yoongi exhaled as the two of them finally made it into his quiet private dressing room. He watched her unpack as she hummed happily, smiling to herself.

        "A little excited now aren't we?" he raised an eyebrow.

        "Is there a problem?" she questioned as she organized her products in front of the mirror.

        "It's just a question, don't get defensive." he retorted.

        Maia squinted at him. "Well your tone was very sarcastic."

        Yoongi peered right back at her. After a few seconds of an unannounced staring contest which neither wanted to lose, they exhaled.

        "Put this on." Maia instructed as she handed him his freshly pressed stage outfit.

        "Yes, yes." Yoongi stepped into the bathroom inside the room and did as he was told.

        When he came out, Maia patted the chair and gestured for him to come over.

        "I'm not your dog. Use your words." he rolled his eyes as he walked over.

        "Well you listen well either way. Aigoo." Maia teasingly patted his head as he glared at her, irritated.

        "I really want to ruin your good mood right now." he grumbled.

        Maia glanced at him up and down judgingly, but bit down her tongue to prevent herself from challenging him. She knew he had the capacity to bring her mood down and she didn't want to risk it. Yoongi smirked, knowing that he had won the irrelevant verbal fight, so he stayed quiet as she did his hair and make-up. Yoongi scrolled through his phone as she fixed him up and once she finished, they both stretched.

        Maia walked over to her bag and pulled out a book containing a bookmark around the middle of the pages. Yoongi looked at her curiously.

        "Aren't you leaving?"

        "Aren't you going to sleep?"

        "I asked you first."

        Maia sighed, "No, I started this book over your break and I really want to get through it. This is the quietest room and I like reading in silence, so don't snore."

        "I don't snore." Yoongi scoffed.

        "When you're super tired, you snore a bit."

        "Creep."

        "Snorlax."

        "Weirdo."

        "Butthead."

        "Let me read in peace!"

        "Well, let ME sleep in peace!"

        "I would if you would just be quiet!" Maia huffed.

        They glared at each other on separate couches for a few seconds then went about their business. Yoongi curled up inside his jacket and continued scrolling through his phone, reading fan's messages to him, and listening to music. Maia laid down as well but opened her book excitedly. Her eyes scanned the words hungrily but after a few minutes, her eyes began drooping despite her resistance. Yoongi glanced over when he didn't hear the pages turning anymore and chuckled as he found her sleeping soundly with the book on her chest. The door creaked open and Yoongi glanced over to find the maknae peeking inside.

        "Mai--"

        "Shh." Yoongi placed a finger over his lips and pointed to Maia's sleeping figure. "Let her rest."

        Jungkook nodded then paused before heading back. Wait...was his hyung being....nice? He glanced at Yoongi nonchalantly swiping at his phone screen then back at the resting Maia. It had already been a surprise that Yoongi was awake so to actually be considerate of Maia on top of that just left him speechless. Carefully, Jungkook took off his own jacket and placed it on top of her, just in case she got cold. She smiled and welcomed the warmth unconsciously by snuggling into the coat, causing Jungkook to blush and scurry out of the room. Yoongi eyed the joyful Maia and grumbled before returning to his fans' messages. 

~

        In the days to follow, Yoongi saw Maia less and less. Now that her secret was out, all of the members wanted to record a little something with her. He found himself locked in his studio unable to record any guide songs since everyone had stuffed themselves across the hall in the sound booth.

        It had started first with his very own roommate, soon after the open charity concert.

        "Maia," Jin grinned excitedly as he skipped into the dressing room.

        She was packing up while Yoongi was relaxing on the couch, watching Jin inquisitively. Jin hardly entered his waiting room, knowing Yoongi's preference to be left alone.

        "Hm?" Maia blinked at him, also stunned by his presence. "Did you need something?"

        "While you're watching Yoongi at the company, do you think you can record something with me?" he smiled dashingly.

        Maia's eyes widened and unknown to either of the two conversing, Yoongi nearly choked on his own spit in shock.

        "What??" Yoongi and Maia shouted.

        Jin and Maia glanced back at Yoongi, questioning his intervention.

        "That's crazy, Jin hyung. What if--"

        "As I was going to explain," Jin cut Yoongi off and returned his attention to Maia. "that we could do a collaboration and put it in my Soundcloud. You can make a secret pseudonym like Gloss over there."

        Yoongi huffed while Maia pondered about the suggestion.

        "Of course I'd love to, but will the company be okay with it?" she asked, concerned. "I'm supposed to be a secret."

        "No one will know." Jin chuckled. "Plus the company lets us record whatever covers we want when we have time anyway. I'm sure it won't be detrimental exposure."

        "Mmmm...still, we should check with them." Maia commented.

        "I'll talk to Bang PD and the CEO." Jin patted her shoulder. "I really think it'll be a cool project. Mysterious Female Singer Collab!"

        Yoongi snorted at the lame name, earning a glare from the other two.

        "People can speculate and guess all they want but in the end, we'll get exposure either way." Jin winked and nudged Maia. "What do you say?"

        She chuckled and nodded. "I'll do it as long as I'm not breaking my contract, and won't cause you guys trouble."

        "Perfect." Jin clapped. "I'll convince them, don't worry. I don't think there'll be much opposition anyway."

        Maia smiled gratefully.

        Much to her surprise, both Bang PD and the CEO had no qualms about it if it was recorded entirely by the boys themselves. They felt it was "a good opportunity for the boys to experiment on their own". Their goal was to have the boys create and record their very own album in the long run, so they were more than happy that they found motivation to record covers.

        So this was how Maia found herself crammed inside the sound booth with Kim Seokjin while Taehyung, Jimin, Jungkook, and Namjoon were chatting on the other side of the glass and pressing buttons. Namjoon was trying to teach the maknae line the functions of the machine but they weren't exactly taking it seriously.

        "Guys! Do you want to record with her or not?" Namjoon groaned, irritated that no one was paying attention to him.

        "Why does Jin-hyung get to go first?" Tae complained.

        "I didn't see you coming up with the idea." Jin sassed.

        "Alright." Tae's complaints were subdued.

        "I think I got it Namjoon-hyung." Jungkook spoke up finally, having been the only one of the three quietly observing.

        "Oh thank goodness." Namjoon breathed. "Now I have my own stuff to work on. You guys should be okay, right? If anything, ask Yoongi next--"

        He was met with blank stares and he sighed. "Just call me if you have issues then."

        Jungkook slid into the seat and pressed a few buttons confidently then spoke into the microphone.

        "Ready Jin hyung, Mai?"

        "Yep!"

        Maia gave a thumbs up nervously. She never recorded a duet before so she was a bit antsy. Jin patted her back comfortably.

        "Don't worry. Do it just like how we were jamming in the car." he smiled. "For Jungkook's IU and your Seungri Oppa!"

        Jungkook blushed shyly as he fidgeting with the recording equipment. Maia nodded and took in a deep breath as Jungkook started the music.

["I Know" IU & Seungri - because I totally hear Jin when I listen to this song]

~

        Yoongi exhaled as he threw off his headphones and heard their loud laughter in the other room. He couldn't concentrate and he was annoyed that they were all fawning over her. They've had trainees that could sing so why are they treating her as if she was so novel? How long were they going to stay at the company tonight anyway? Weren't they planning to sleep? But they did just come back from a break so everyone was overly rested.

        "Ugh." Yoongi flung himself into his couch, frustrated with his own internal argument.

        He heard Jimin's voice start singing "You're the One that I Want" from Grease and the other members cheering, providing the chorus vocals in the back.

        "Seriously. There's a sound booth. Please go inside it." he mumbled to himself as he shoved the pillow around his ears to drown them out.

        After a few minutes of loud dancing and shifting of chairs, he stood up and hurried out the door. He needed to get away from the noise so he went to the dance practice room.

        "Oh?" Hobi blinked and teasingly wiped his eyes as if he was hallucinating

        "Shut up." Yoongi rolled his eyes as he threw his sweater on the ground.

        "Fancy seeing you here." Hobi grinned widely. "Trying to get away from the noise, huh?"

        "Yeah. I don't see what the fuss is."

        Hobi laughed, "Well it's not every day your manager has that kind of voice and your CEO allows you to record whatever you wanted. Once I find a decent song, I'll probably hop on the offer."

        Yoongi shook his head disapprovingly and began stretching. "Well, help me clean the choreography while you're here."

        "Sure thing, hyung." Hoseok chuckled, happy that Yoongi was interacting with him normally. "Where do you want to start?"

        "Umm..." Yoongi scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. "Like from the first part of the first set?"

        Hoseok burst into laughter as he created a playlist on his IPod. "From the very top it is."

~

        Maia was confused when she knocked on Yoongi's studio door and was met with silence. The others piled out of the recording studio sleepily.

        "Oh hyung is with Hobi hyung dancing apparently." Taehyung showed her the message. "He sent it to the group chat."

        Maia giggled. "So he's finally practicing. Recording stuff loudly next door might be the key to getting him out of his studio."

        "Don't get any ideas." Yoongi stepped foot into the hallway, out of breath, and sweating.

        The others scurried away innocently. Jungkook bowed and gave Maia a shy smile.

        "Good night."

        "Night Kookie." she grinned. "Thanks for helping out with the recordings."

        "Next time, we'll record with Tae for sure." he gave her a thumbs up and she nodded happily.

        "For sure."

        With that, Jungkook jogged away, bowing towards Yoongi respectfully before disappearing as well. Yoongi exhaled from his spot and walked towards his studio door where Maia stood. She noticed cuts and bruises on his leg as he made his way.

        "Well?" he raised an eyebrow.

        "Huh?" Maia looked up.

        "You're in front of my door."

        "Oh right." Maia stepped back, not realizing.

        Yoongi unlocked the door and waltzed in, leaving it open behind him. Maia stood there awkwardly.

        "Well, come in or not." Yoongi rolled his eyes, clearly exhausted.

        "Excuse the intrusion." she whispered as she cautiously stepped inside.

        She observed Yoongi's "home" curiously and smiled gently when she found a section filled with Kumamon merchandise.

        "Cute." she murmured.

        "What?"

        "Nothing." she hurriedly answered as she found him lying down on the couch comfortably, ready to sleep. "Why don't you just go home if you're going to knock out?"

        "I just need a few minutes." he exhaled. "Someone fell asleep in the waiting room again so I couldn't let my guard down."

        "Why? Were you going to protect me?" Maia teased.

        Yoongi grimaced. "No. I didn't want you waking up and doing anything to me in my sleep. Don't flatter yourself."

        Maia glared at him as he smugly smiled and closed his eyes. Her eyes landed on a first aid kit in the corner of the room and she lightly opened it. Yoongi was teetering into slumber when he felt something cold on his leg. Drowsily, he opened one eye to find Maia applying alcohol to his cuts.

        "What're you doing?" he slurred.

        "You need to disinfect and put ointment so they heal faster."

        Yoongi winced as he felt a slight sting. "Ah!"

        "Oh stop being a baby." she rolled her eyes.

        "Stop it! I didn't ask for your help!" he wriggled his leg and she smacked him scoldingly.

        "You never ask for anyone's help!" Maia retorted, which quieted him. "Let me do this."

        He exhaled, too tired to argue, but unable to sleep with her so close. He settled on watching her focused expression as she cleaned up his cuts and covered them up with Kumamon band-aids. Oddly enough, he always seemed more at peace when she was around. Why was that?

        "And done." she grinned happily as she felt satisfied at her work of art on his leg.

        He felt himself blush at seeing her get so excited over such a trivial thing.

        "Maia."

        "Hm?" she looked at him questioningly.

        He avoided her gaze shyly and sat up hurriedly.

        "You haven't been doing your job recently." he muttered.

        "Huh? I've been doing my job just fine. What're you saying?"

        "No, you've been gallivanting around with the other guys and whatnot. You're not being my manager!"

        "I'm also their manager though and didn't you want your 'space'?" Maia chuckled.

        Yoongi stood up and turned his head, embarrassed. "Well now stay where I can see you, got it?"

        "What?" Maia blinked, surprised.

        "Just do it!" Yoongi growled as he stormed out of his studio, trying to hide his embarrassment.

        "H-hey, where are you going?" Maia followed him, a little taken aback by his behavior.

        "I'm going out for walk!" he bellowed.

        She perked up at thought of fresh air."Can I come?"

        "Do what you want." he grumbled.

        Maia grinned and scurried to catch up with him.

        Yoongi smiled slightly as she soon fell in sync with his steps. He used to enjoy walking around alone to escape from everyone and everything, but now he thought to himself that it wasn't so bad having someone to walk with in silence every once in awhile.