Chapter 18: Confirmation

Don't Judge Sweet & Sour

       "Cheers!"

        Everyone clinked their glasses together and started the festivities with their first drink. As usual, the staff members were at one table while the members and their dancers were in another.

        "Drink up! Jungkook is the designated person to make sure everyone gets home okay today!" Jin cheered.

        Yoongi downed his shot and eyed Maia from across the room, chatting happily with the other staff members. He was irked at how she had rejected his offer to sit at their table so easily.

        "Stop glaring Yoongi. It's rude." Jin teased. "She said no because she wants to be on good terms with the other employees. She's always babysitting you so she doesn't have time to get to know them."

        "Yeah, stop being salty." Hoseok cackled.

        Yoongi rolled his eyes. "Nobody better hack all over me tonight."

        "That was ONE time." Namjoon sighed.

        "One time too many." Yoongi pointed.

        Jungkook smiled as he happily sipped on his juice. He was thankful he wouldn't be the one making a fool of himself tonight. Knowing his drinking habits via videos filmed by his hyungs, he would most probably have done something like cling onto Maia or act cutesy towards her. So he was perfectly happy keeping what cool image he had built up for just a little while longer.

        After many shots, drinks, and games later, the atmosphere became warmer and much friendlier. Yoongi wasn't paying much attention to the loud conversations happening at his table, more focused on watching Maia and alternatively, the meat he was grilling in front of him.

        Too close.

        He watched as some of the male staff members crowded, throwing an arm around her, patting her head, or touching her arm. In her tipsy state, she was too into the drinking game that she didn't think much of the physical contact, but it annoyed him. She was drinking way too much for his liking. All the staffs' tolerance was incredibly high and although she was keeping up with them well, he knew Maia would reach her limit soon. And soon came quickly, confirmed from the way she stumbled to the bathroom.

        He got up too and waited for her, tapping his foot impatiently. It irritated him further that when she got out, she practically beamed at him.

        "Yoongi!!" She clapped then winced, clearly the sound too loud for her.

        "Maia! Come back! We're playing another game!" The staff members called out, clearly trying to get her wasted as an initiation.

        "Coming!" She giggled.

        Yoongi grabbed her arm, stopping her from going back to her table. "I think it's time for you to head home."

        Maia pouted. "Why?"

        He poked her shoulder and she wobbled, proving his point.

        "Whoa. Yeah I'm drunk." She laughed and grabbed onto him to steady herself.

        "I'll take you --"

        "No. I'll take her." Jungkook stepped in. "You had a lot of drinks too."

        "I'm fine." Yoongi waved. "I don't feel anything."

        "Well, I'm designated driver for a reason." Jungkook claimed, feeling protective of Maia.

        "You don't even drive, kid."

        "Well I can call a cab and take her." He retaliated childishly.

        Yoongi chuckled. "Fine, do what you want. She just can't stay here. Those guys are getting too touchy and it won't look good if they keep that up."

        Jungkook nodded then turned to Maia. "Let's go, Mai?"

        "Let's go go!" She cheered cutely. "I want a piggyback!"

        "I uh what?" Jungkook flustered as she started messily trying to climb on his back.

        Yoongi pried her away from him. "You-- be good."

        "Yes..." Maia pouted cutely.

        "Let's get you home." Jungkook pulled a mask over his face and put his hood up before venturing outside.

        "Fresh airrrr!" She giggled and took a deep breath in. "Smells good!!"

        Jungkook chuckled as she hummed happily. Soon enough, the cab arrived and they hopped in.

        "Kookie ~" Maia reached over and hugged him. "I'm soooo happy we're going home together!!"

        Jungkook turned red, turning his head so their faces weren't so incredibly close. "Wh-what? I'm just--jjustt dro-dropping you off..."

        "Yes. I know." Maia smiled and nuzzled her head onto his shoulder. "Maia sleepy..."

        "Um you can rest. I'll wake you." He relaxed.

        "'Kay!" Maia curled up on his lap causing him to tense up.

        Jungkook panicked, his eyes widening. "M-mai."

        But when he took a closer look, she was already asleep. He relaxed and smiled to himself at how easily she let her guard down. His hand reached over and her hair gently, his eyes watching the street lights pass by, praying for there to be lots of traffic on the way to her house.

        Just a little bit longer.

 


        "Mai, we're here."

        She stirred and groggily sat up.

        "My head feels heavy."

        Jungkook chuckled and scooped her up. "Probably shouldn't have drank too much."

        "I was trying to be cool and keep up with everyone." She groaned as she let him carry her up to her apartment.

        "You were cool. They're just a lot heavier and older than you." Jungkook chuckled. "No one really can keep up with them. That's why we separate the tables."

        "Makes sense." She hummed, letting her head rest on his chest.

        Jungkook hoped she didn't hear how fast his heart was beating.

        "I think this is yours?"

        He stopped in front of the door with the numbers she had recited to him earlier.

        "Thanks." She smiled as he set her down.

        Her balance was a little off still so Jungkook kept an arm around her waist as she unlocked her door.

        "Let me at least help you get into bed." he offered worriedly. "I don't know if you'll be able to get there."

        "I'll be okay." she smiled. "I've taken you from the party long enough."

        "I really don't mind." Jungkook chuckled. "I'd much rather be with you."

        The last part came out before he realized it and the two of them stared at each other, surprised.

        "I mean...it'd be nice to have someone to make sure I didn't fall or anything I guess." Maia blushed and let him in.

        Jungkook slipped out of his shoes, and shyly entered. "Pardon me."

        Maia froze, "Stay right there."

        "Hm?"

        "I just um...gotta make sure my room is decent."

        She trudged into her room then hurriedly shut the door when she spotted her clothes strewn all over the ground. Wincing and panicking, she bundled up all her undergarments and stuffed everything into her closet. She swept other things under her bed to make it outwardly presentable. Then after one more check that nothing embarrassing was on display, she opened her room.

        "Um come in."

        Jungkook straightened up, feeling his throat tighten. He didn't expect to be invited into her room.

        "The bathroom's just in here so I'm going to change and brush my teeth. If I pass out or anything, you'll hear it..." Maia tried to diffuse the awkwardness with excuses. She still felt a little out of it, but she tried her best to concentrate on walking normally to make it seem like she was fully sober.

        Jungkook sat awkwardly at the edge of her bed, trying his best to not breathe or move as he listened for any sounds of her not being okay. He flinched as the bathroom door opened, and she sheepishly held a tube of toothpaste out towards him.

        "Can you um turn it for me?"

        His lips curled up, and did so.

        "I'll grab you some medicine and water." He offered, seeing that she was standing and brushing her teeth alright.

        "In the kitchen." She gestured.

        He slipped out of the room, finally exhaling, and moseyed through her kitchen. Once he returned, she was already tucked into bed, causing him to blush as he handed her the medicine and glass.

        "Thanks so much, Kooks."

        "Hopefully you won't have a hangover." He watched her consume the pills.

        "I probably will. I drank way too much." She exhaled, massaging her head.

        "Well at least you didn't black out or do anything embarrassing."

        "Have you before?" She asked curiously.

        Jungkook grinned. "Maybe..."

        "What? You have to tell me!" She grabbed his arm.

        "Maybe next time." He giggled. "Get some rest."

        She pouted but complied, settling into her bed. Jungkook gently pulled the blankets up higher, and reached for the lamp, but her hand stopped him.

        "I um...sleep with the lights on." She blushed.

        He nodded understandably. He had never really stayed in a place on his own, but thinking about it, he would probably be scared to do so.

        "I'll lock the door on my way out." He whispered.

        "Thanks again." Maia sleepily yawned and shut her eyes.

        Jungkook fought back the urge to lean down and kiss her forehead or cheek. He hurriedly stood up, embarrassed at his train of thought.

        "Good night, Maia."

        "Night Jungkook."

        He carefully shut the door behind him. His eyes landed on the couch on his way out, tempted to stay there through the night, but he willed himself out the door, triple checking that it was thoroughly locked. With one last look at your apartment building, he hopped back into the cab to head back to the party.

 


        "Took you long enough." Yoongi snapped as Jungkook finally returned.

        Everyone was just lazily chatting now, settling back into sobriety.

        "I had to make sure she got inside safely." Jungkook shrugged, feeling a bit smug.

        "I-in-inside?" Yoongi stuttered. "You went inside?"

        Jungkook smirked and didn't say anything else.

        Yoongi huffed, but didn't press any further.

        They all fell into an easy conversation, talking about how excited they were to go abroad again for one of their photoshoots and such. In the meanwhile, Jungkook's mind returned to Maia, wondering if she was sleeping soundly or if she felt nauseous.

        "Oh this is the first time we'll have Mai-Mai with us for a big photoshoot." Tae smiled.

        Jungkook tuned into the conversation.

        "Yeah. They usually have staff contests to see who would produce the best look, but isn't she at a disadvantage being only one person doing multiple jobs?" Jimin questioned.

        "I mean, if you think about it, the real disadvantage is that she has to work with Yoongi hyung." Namjoon teased.

        Yoongi scoffed, but didn't disagree.

        "You'd think she'd let him put sparkles and glitters and this and that?" Jin chuckled.

        "I mean he used to." Hoseok blurted out, and everyone fell silent at his comment.

        Yoongi averted his eyes, knowing full well he had trusted everything his stylist, coordi, and personal manager used to do for him. He had gone to two extremes-- full trust and full distrust. But with Maia, maybe he would be able to find a good medium.

        "We'll have to see if it matches the concept." He settled and everyone eased up.

        Jungkook stared at him, surprised. Yoongi really had changed because of Maia. He should be happy about it, but he couldn't help feeling a bit unsettled either. What did that mean?

        "Hyung." He called. "Wanna play a game?"

        "Me?" Yoongi raised an eyebrow.

        "Scared?" Jungkook smirked.

        "Pfft." Yoongi scoffed.

        "Winner gets to ask for anything, no exceptions."

        Yoongi looked at him skeptically, but agreed anyway. "Call."

        "Rock, paper, scissors?" Jungkook suggested.

        "Fair enough."

        "Rock...Paper...Scissors!" They chimed.

        The others looked on curiously. Jungkook cheered excitedly as he won.

        "Best out of 3!" Yoongi called out.

        "Fine." Jungkook rolled his sleeves up.

        After a few more rounds, it ultimately ended as Yoongi's loss.

        Yoongi ruffled his hair with a sigh. "What do you want then? Lamb skewers?"

        Jungkook shook his head and smiled, "I want Maia to be my coordi and stylist during our photoshoot."

        Everyone gasped at his unexpected request.

        "Jungkook!" Jin scolded.

        Yoongi stared at Jungkook curiously, trying to gauge if he was serious. Jungkook didn't break his eye contact though.

        "You accepted no exceptions." Jungkook stated firmly.

        "Yah. Jeon Jungkook--" Jin was about to cut in.

        But Yoongi raised his hand to stop the complaints.

        "Do what you want then." He accepted coolly.

        Jungkook grinned.

        "But on one condition."

        Jungkook looked at him inquisitively.

        "She has to win."

     


        "I'm what?" Maia breathed as she received the call the next morning. "Jungkook? How did that--? A game?! Alright. What do I do with my clothes that I already picked out for Yoongi? Okay...Yes...Mhm..."

        She hung up and rolled back around, groaning about her pounding headache.

        "Stupid alcohol." She whined.

        Suddenly her doorbell rang.

        "Nooo...." She exhaled.

        It rang a couple more times before she peeled herself from her mattress.

        "I swear whoever is in front of my door right now is dead meat. I'm going strangle them and--" She pulled her door open and gasped. "Jungkook!"

        Hurriedly, she hid her face.

        "Sorry." He smiled lightly. "I was just worried about how you were feeling by yourself. Some of the members had a hangover too, but luckily, Jin didn't so he made us breakfast, so I brought this over."

        He lifted up a lunchbox, and Maia's eyes lit up.

        "You're an angel!" She breathed. "Of course, come in."

        Jungkook laughed. "How's your head?"

        "Throbbing."

        "Sorry I made you get up."

        "It's worth it for food." She grinned. "Let me get washed up and decent. Get comfortable."

        Jungkook smiled as she scurried to her room.        

       

        "Mmm Jin cooks so well." Maia rubbed her stomach happily. "My hangover is healed!"

        Jungkook chuckled. "So have you talked with your father since you know...your decision?"

        Maia averted her eyes and placed her spoon down. "No."

        Jungkook frowned. "Sorry to bring it up."

        She shook her head. "It's alright. It's not your fault."

        "How is it living alone?"

        "Not so different to be honest." She laughed. "Ever since my parents got a divorce and my mom left for Japan, it's been my dad and I. And when I was young, my dad couldn't take me to work all the time so I went to school and stayed home on my own."

        Jungkook looked at her sadly.

        "Ah! But there was my best friend Se Jeong!" She clapped. "Ohhh. She'd kill me if she knew you were here right now."

        "Why?"

        "She's a really big fan of BTS. She was one of the people that tried out too in that audition I was late at." She grinned. "Her family didn't want her to have anything to do with me, but she still kept me company and all that."

        "Ah she wants to be an idol too?" Jungkook cleaned up her bowl.

        "Wait. Stop. I can do it."

        "But you're hung over. And I like cleaning." he smiled as he set them in the sink.  

        "But you already brought me food. I got it." She nudged him over but was bounced back by his solid physique. "Yahh. Are you made of steel?"

        Jungkook laughed as he started putting soap on the sponge.

        "Don't you dare! Jeon Jungkook, put the sponge down!"

        "Or whattt ~" Jungkook taunted playfully.

        "You're my guest!" She flicked water at him.

        Jungkook gasped, "You're flicking water on your guest?"

        He soaped his hands and lifted them up. "Come here."

        Maia squealed. "Don't!"

        Suddenly, the doorbell rang, and the two froze, staring at each other wide-eyed.

        "I wasn't expecting anyone?" She checked. "Oh?"

        "Who is it?" Jungkook blinked.

        "Wanna have some fun?" She smirked.

        "Hm?" Jungkook tilted his head.

 


        "Se Jeong!" She opened the door happily.

        "Hey girl! I figured I'd see you before you go off and travel with the 7 hottest men in the world." She greeted as she barged into the house. Then suddenly she dropped her stuff and gasped. "Oh my god. Oh my god."

        "What?"

        "Don't what me? Wh-who-who's that?"

        Jungkook smiled innocently as he sipped on banana milk nonchalantly.

        "OH MY GOSH!" Maia covered Se Jeong's mouth to prevent her from shrieking.

        "Let's not let the world know who's in here." She warned. "Okay?"

        Se Jeong nodded.

        "Se Jeong, meet Jungkook. Jungkook, meet my best friend."

        "Hi." Jungkook waved.

        Se Jeong bit her lip and started hitting Maia enthusiastically, trying to stifle her squeals. Maia and Jungkook burst into laughter at her reaction.

 


        "Jungkook. Why'd you do it?" Taehyung asked curiously.

        "Do what?" Jungkook stuffed a chip in his mouth as he continued his game.

        "Ask for Mai-Mai to be your stylist and coordi?" Tae grabbed a chip too.

        Jungkook paused. Why had he asked for it? He never cared to delve into it.

        "I'm not sure."

        "I think I know." Tae smiled.

        Jungkook glanced at him questioningly.

        "You're sad that she gets to spend so much time with Yoongi hyung." Tae giggled. "I mean technically she was your friend first and he's been taking her from everyone. Why wouldn't you want to keep her for awhile?"

        Jungkook's lips turned up, "I do like spending time with her."

        "It'll be a fun trip I guess." Tae grinned. "But I hope Yoongi won't lash out like he used to."

        "What do you mean?"

        "Well think about this--" Tae grabbed two chips to demonstrate this point. "--Yoongi had always lashed out before, especially after he lost the people that he knew since debut in one swoop. That is until, Maia came. Now that Maia is not his for a few days, will the behavior come back?"

        Jungkook frowned.

        "Well, it's not like she left for good. I'm sure he'll be mature about." Tae shrugged and popped the chips into his mouth. "Keep playing. I like watching the action."

        Jungkook worried his lip, but eventually returned his focus to his game.

 


        Needless to say though, Tae's hypothesis became reality on the first day of the photo shoot.

        "He's throwing a tantrum! What should we do?"

        "Get Mai! Quick!"

        "Why can't anyone do this right?" Yoongi yelled. "You've all been here for years. Why do these brushes make my face itch? And you're tugging my hair painfully! I'm already balding with all the bleach; I don't need you taking out more strands!"

       

        "Maia!"

        Maia and Jungkook flinched at the sudden outburst.

        "Yes?" She instinctively replied, taking in the disheveled, out-of-breath appearance of the usually neat and tidy coordi.

        Everyone else in the room glanced over curiously too.

        "Yoongi--he's freaking out again!"

        Jungkook and Maia glanced at each other widely, stunned.

        "But he hasn't in a while..." Maia frowned.

        "Go." Jungkook urged.

        "But..." She glanced down at his unfinished face.

        "Go then come back to me. I'll wait." He smiled shyly.

        She looked at him apologetically, before she hurried out of the room.

 


        "Goddammit." Yoongi held his head in his hands. "Why am I like this again?"

        Did he just not like change? He used to adapt really well. Didn't really give a crap about much until it interfered with him or the people he cared about. He had never been outright rude, temperamental, or illogical. Was it all because of the incident? Will it ever get better? He had been cool telling Jungkook to make Maia win, but here he was throwing a tantrum like a child.

        "Yoongi."

        His head shot up at the familiar voice. Through the mirror, he saw Maia step in worriedly.

        "Wow...you really did a number on them." She exhaled. "What little thing did they do this time? Was one of the strands on the brushes not facing the right direction?"

        He glared at her. "Don't exaggerate."

        "Isn't that what you were doing though?" She raised an eyebrow.

        "I was--"

        She pressed her phone, replaying everything the coordi had recorded of his episode. "Sounds a bit dramatic, don't you think?"

        Yoongi looked away. Hearing what he was spouting was ridiculous to him too.

        "Did you come here to make fun of me?"

        "No." She walked to him. "I came to comfort and scold you."

        Yoongi snorted. "Which is it?"

        "You know, I realized that maybe you have these outbursts because you're nervous about someone hurting you or leaving you again. Like before."

        Yoongi studied his shoes intently.

        "So I was worried you'd be having thoughts like that, but seeing as how you're very much okay, then I should just go."

        "Yeah." He whispered, unconvincingly. "I'm fine."

        Maia smiled gently and approached him, setting down her kit on the counter.

        "I'll fix you up for today. But I'm not your stylist and coordi for the time being. I can't keep coming here to calm you down." She crossed her arms. "You need to do that yourself."

        Yoongi looked up at her as the realization dawned on him from her musings. He hadn't had any thoughts of what happened in the past like he used to. He didn't feel anxious or restless about someone attacking him or stabbing him in the back. No, he had just been genuinely irritated and angry, and not knowing the reason why made his temper ten times worse. But now, seeing her in front of him, worried, comforting, yet scolding him, it made sense. It was because of her absence in his routine. Going through all these motions didn't feel right because she wasn't there. But could it really be?

        "So you better be good the rest of the week, Min Yoongi. Even if you whine or cry, I won't come for you. A bet is a bet, and you need to be a man of your word." She chuckled as she started setting up. "You're lucky I made them delete that recording so they couldn't use it against you. I did a thorough search on their phone to protect your image. Be grateful."

        Yoongi's face softened as he continued to watch her intently.

        "I mean why do I put up with this? Who are you and Jungkook to throw a person back and forth like I'm at your disposal? Why was this bet made without me knowing about it? I mean not that I mind, but I'm just worried you'll both make me do something ridiculous with you guys next time. I'm an employee of Big Hit, an EMPLOYEE, not a rag doll--"

        Yoongi grabbed her wrist. "So...you're not my manager, stylist, or coordi right now?"

        Maia sighed. "No, I was just explaining this."

        "So you don't work specifically work for me right now, and you're technically just a normal person I'm talking to?"

        "Uh well it's more that I'm a fellow employee that doesn't exactly cross your path enough to be significant." She hummed.

        Yoongi studied Maia curiously.

         "Wh-why? You know, you're acting weird. Should we see a doctor? I really don't think you're fine at all."

        He gripped her wrist tighter. "I think I'm gonna be."

        "Huh?"

        He tugged her forward and pressed his lips against hers gently.

        Maia gasped and stared at him, her eyes threatening to pop out of its sockets, but she didn't move from their close proximity, and neither did Yoongi.

        His entire body was electrified with the light brushing of their lips. His heart raced and his illogical actions began piecing together into a perfect reasonably unreasonable puzzle.

        He liked Maia.

        He liked spending time with her so he hated that she was with someone else. He liked her being around him, and he missed her when she was gone. He looked for her when he was having hard time, and even when he had happy news. This time, he became temperamental because the thought of her with Jungkook pissed him off. He was jealous. His heart fluttered hearing her words of encouragement, whenever she said something that expressed exactly what he was thinking and feeling, whenever she showed him kindness or concern, whenever she appeared in front of him out of the blue or even when they had scheduled to meet. His eyes found their way to where she was countless of times during schedules, and it pained him to think of her getting hurt or being in pain.

        He looked at her lips, which had been against him for the briefest of moments, then back up at her face, wearing a look of astonishment and disbelief yet still beautiful all the same.

        His lips curled up as he whispered to himself.

        "Confirmed."