Seventy-Six

Trigger

 

 

Windows were open and the natural sunlight illuminated the dim space. A handful of cleaning supplies were pulled out of closets. Tables, chairs, couches, chairs, walls and desks were wiped clean so no speck of dust was seen in the whole house. Then Taeyeon and the doctor worked in tandem sweeping and then polishing the floors, “Haha you look like a bum!”

The doctor grumbled, “at least I look better than you!” before leaving a smear of dirt on Taeyeon’s face.

“Hey!” Taeyeon retaliated with a large wipe of her cloth on the doctor’s face.

“Eww that is so gross!” Getting up, Dr. Jung ran away from Taeyeon who wanted to rub more dirt on her face. Finding the only safe place, the doctor locked herself in the bathroom.

“That isn’t fair! You know I can’t run yet!”

“I don’t care! I need a shower before going to the store.”

Taeyeon grumbled in defeat, “true…I will bring you a change of clothes and some towels.”

Dr. Jung waited for the supplies to come and took a relaxing shower scrubbing off all the dirt from a long morning of cleaning. After she finished, Taeyeon took an equally long shower.

“Ready to go?”

Taeyeon found her place in the wheelchair, “ready.”

The doctor knew Taeyeon must be very tired from overexerting herself with the cleaning, “Is the store near the house?”

“Yea. We don’t need to drive. Just go down the block and then two more over.” The doctor enjoyed the fresh air away from the hustle and bustle of the city. She didn’t remember the last time she was able to escape the towering buildings of Seoul, “the weather is nice today.”

The doctor looked down at Taeyeon smiling brightly, “Yea…good day to go out.”

Taeyeon played with her fingers on her lap, “I must look like a ghost with how long I was kept inside.”

“You umm still look beautiful.” The doctor mumbled a bit.

Too distracted by the clear skies and small animals running about, Taeyeon didn’t hear the doctor’s shy compliment, “Turn here.”

Maneuvering the wheelchair, the doctor followed the street down to the market. Taeyeon held the basket as they filled it with a variety of food and some other supplies they needed for the day. The doctor noticed Taeyeon sneak in a few gummies but she let it slide because the giant smile on her face was worth the extra bills she needed to pay.

Excited for her hidden loot of gummies, Taeyeon snacked on a few when they headed back home. Dr. Jung faked being deceived and gave Taeyeon a rather pathetic reprimand but she secretly loved this little game. She wondered if Taeyeon could get away with almost anything and she would forgive her as long as that girl stayed happy.

“So umm you will have to do the cooking.” Jessica looked at the ingredients in front of her not sure what to do.

Taeyeon got up from the chair, “I understand. The busy doctor doesn’t know how to cook something simple like egg rolls.”

Jessica playfully shoved Taeyeon’s arm for teasing her, “yah I think saving lives is more important than cooking an egg.”

“Sure sure.” Taeyeon giggled as she prepared the dish while Jessica washed and cleaned the fruit they bought.

With the food made and fruit ready, Taeyeon placed a picture of her parents on the table and set up all the fruit and a few dishes that were her parent’s favorites before lighting the candle. Dr. Jung joined in the traditional prayer but watched on as Taeyeon did a few more prayers. When the bowing stopped and Taeyeon looked at the shrine blankly, the doctor came up from behind and placed her hand gently on her back, “Taeyeon…you did well.”

Taeyeon sniffled a few tears away, “I hope they forgive me.”

Taking hold of Taeyeon, the doctor guided Taeyeon into her arms and held her, “I hope they know that you are perfect the way you are. I hope they know how beautiful you are inside and out. I hope they know that no matter who you love, none of that changes.”

Taeyeon closed her eyes and drifted into the comfort of the other woman’s warmth.