Thirteen

Trigger

 

Agh...this hospital is b.o.r.i.n.g! How long have I been here now? A month or so? When do I leave? I feel like a prisoner waking up each day to do a chore. Taeyeon get your memory back, Taeyeon you need to walk, Taeyeon don’t have a seizure...these doctors and their high expectations. How can I ever leave if these things seem out of my control?

“You look like you are dying.” Ah the invasive short nurse came once again.

“I am withering away because I can’t escape.”

“Escape what?”

“This hospital.”

“Well I think you are doing well enough to get out but it is really up to Dr. Jung. She needs to sign off on your release.”

Ok now I am interested, “So it is Dr. Jung keeping me here?”

“Basically. She will let you go if she thinks you are able to help yourself on your own.”

“I can sort of walk now. I’m pretty sure I am ok to go out on my own.”

“According to your chart...you haven’t had any seizures recently either. I don’t know why you are still with us then. You have healed very well since you woke up.”

“Do you think it’s cause I still have no memory from before the accident?”

“Umm amnesia really isn’t a reason to keep a patient in a hospital, especially since you can function well.  I mean you didn’t like revert back to thinking you are a kid or anything like that.”

Well I am still a kid at heart, “Don’t you think going to my house or whatever will help with memory recovery?”

“I am not a doctor to say either way but in movies they say it helps. It’s something you can talk to Dr. Jung about. I can’t let you go if you are asking me.”

“No no...just wondering why the wait. Dr. Jung seems very secretive these days.”

“In all honesty, Dr. Jung is always that way. She has been working here for a while now and no one knows much about her.”

“Really? Like nothing?”

“That woman is a closed book! She doesn’t talk about her personal life at all. The only reason I knew she had a sister was because we overheard her on the phone once...once! Also if we bring it up or ask about her dating life or whatever, she totally evades the question. We only know that once every 2 weeks, she has a vacation day where we can’t get ahold of her all day.”

Not sure why but a woman clouded in mystery sounds pretty y, “interesting.”

“I think it is a bit creepy. Someone with so many secrets means they have something to hide.”

“I don’t know...Dr. Jung seems nice. I am sure she has some good reasons to hide certain things about herself.”

“Taeyeon, this isn’t normal behavior. Girls love to gossip and talk about family to make the days a bit brighter around here but Dr. Jung won’t.  Something about all this secrecy is odd.”

“Well if I think about it, I am also full of secrets. Even I don’t know the answer to anything about myself. You could say Dr. Jung and I are kind of one in the same.”

“Haha very funny and not really related Taeyeon. You can’t remember and I am sure you would be very happy to share any memories recovered. Dr. Jung...she is going to always stay a mystery I think.”

“You never know. One day I think many things will get revealed. Things take time. People take time.”

“Well Taeyeon if you hear some gossip about Dr. Jung, please share. The nurses are all in a betting pool.”

“Betting pool?”

“Of course! We are betting to see what is Dr. Jung’s secret life.”

“Really? What did you and nurse Choi bet on?”

“Nurse Choi thinks Dr. Jung is on the run from the police or in some kind of witness protection deal.”

“And you?” These nurses really need to do their actual job more. I wonder how they have so much free time?

“I bet that she has a secret child and she is hiding it behind the façade she has a sister.”

“Umm do you two watch too much TV?”

“Probably but I have a decent chance I think. What do you think? Want to get in on the betting action?”

“Well I can’t think of anything. I believe Dr. Jung is just a normal person who has secrets like the rest of us.”

“You are pretty optimistic Kim. Anyway, I have some other patients to look at. If I were you, I would ask Dr. Jung something personal. See if she answers. God we tried but who knows if she would open up to you? She is very fond of you.”

“She is?”

“I am pretty sure I told you before she seems to give you special attention.”

“You did.”

The mystery of Dr. Jung. I wonder if it is something we will ever solve?