An arrival

Guardian - Angel

In Junmyeon's dream, there is nothing. 

Something is wrong, Junmyeon can understand. What he can't understand is the egging feeling that something should be here. Perhaps it is true that the void that surrounds him seems lacking, but some part of Junmyeon whispers to him, that he should know exactly what is missing. 

“Hello?” Junmyeon calls out to the vast emptiness. 

Nothing replies. 

-

“Aww crap.” Minmi said. “The wish is turning into a curse.”

Chorong flipped through her Advanced Angel Studies 103 textbook in panic. Beginners Angel Studies 101 and Intermediate Angel Studies 102 lay haphazardly upturned in a corner. Chrorong settled one a page labeled ‘Wish Stages’ and began reading out loud. 

“Okay, it's written here that turning into a curse is stage 4.” 

“Wait, so this is supposed to happen?” Minmi quizzed. Chrorong nodded. “Apparently. Stage 1 is world rebuilding, stage 2 is fantasy fulfilment, stage 3 is conflict which leads to stage 4, reflective curse.”

“Everything gets worse before it gets better than.” Minmi deduced. “What's stage 5?”

“Umm, Stage 5 is either wish fulfilment or death.”

“Well that escalated quickly! Where the heck is Sowon?”

“She texted us an hour ago.” Chroong said. She pulled out her phone and read out text. “Otw, flying as we speak.”

-

“We're just here to see him Minseok.” Luhan began appeasingly. 

The hospital roof was wide and empty, shadowed under a grey sky. The threat of rain loomed over them, threatening storms. It strangely mirrored their situation at that moment. 

Minseok ran his hands through his hair and sighed. “And I can't blame you for that, I suppose.” He wrung his hands in frustration. “It's just this this is going to turn into a whole mess. And he doesn't need to wake up to more problems.” 

Luhan didn't really know what to say to that. It was easy, really, to see what burdens often befell leaders. Luhan had watched one crumble in front of him before. Junmyeon deserved rest, but a coma wasn't answer damnit. 

“Will he wake up though?” Tao asked. He had stood aways from them, letting them argue while he leaned against the railings with Yixing. “He will wake up though, right?” 

For a beat, no one had the answer. Would Junmyeon wake up? Could Junmyeon wake up? Would it better for Junmyeon to wake up to this world that seemed to have nothing for him? 

Yixing looked up at the sky, and hesitantly spoke to it. “He has to. He has to come back to us.” 

They stood there in silence, watching rising winds rustle empty clotheslines and cut into their bare faces. As the first tentative drops of rain splattered into the ground, Luhan shrugged and sighed in defeat. 

“We'll down to say goodbye. Then we'll leave.”

-

Chanyeol reached out and tucked in a loose corner in Junmyeon's blanket. Luhan must have moved it by accident, he reasoned. Jongdae was usually the one moving things, trying to create the illusion of a simple sleep, but Jongdae had just arrived. 

“How do you think they got in here?” Jongdae mused. There was no need to ask who ‘they’ were. 

“A doctor or nurse must have been a bleeding heart.” Sehun said flatly. Chanyeol felt a little sorry for him. There was no getting over Tao for him, not in the way Minseok had fought past Luhan's absence in the beginning. 

“The question is why they're here.” Sehun continued. 

“Because they're worried for Junmyeon.” Kyungsoo blinked. “Aren't they?” 

“But they left.” Baekhyun countered. “And the most important person to Junmyeon isn't here, that .” 

Chanyeol made a move to intervene before the situation turned ugly, but the door eased open to let in a calmed Minseok. He pushed Tao and Luhan in quickly, a procession ended by Yixing ducking in nervously. 

“We'll… leave in a while.” Tao coughed, avoiding Sehun's eyes. He saw his head move away in his peripheral vision and a small part of Tao's heart curdled. 

Luhan pulled him gently by the forearm (the faster they settle this the better he thought, for he himself could not really remember how they got here. All Luhan remembered, was the brief image of wings.) and they settled into Junmyeon's side, Tao sliding his hand into Junmyeon's cold palm and Luhan brushing a finger over a brow. 

“Jun, I'm leaving now-”

“Have none of you read sleeping beauty?” A slightly offended voice emerged from the doorway. 

Luhan jumped and almost screamed. The rest of EXO shared similar reactions, from gasps and cries as Kris strode past them uncaringly, 

… and leaned over Junmyeon to kiss him on the lips. 

-

In the adjoining room, three angels cheered as the storm outside the hospital broke apart, ominous clouds sliced apart by golden rays of sunlight. The wish furled, lightening the atmosphere visibly as it reverted back from a curse. In one particularly excited whoop, Sowon smacked Chorong and Minmi with her wings. 

“KrisHo lives! KrisHo lives!” She cheered. 

-

“Wu Yifan!” 

Junmyeon woke to Luhan yelling, and was reminded that he was in a dream. Luhan was most definitely not there, because he had left. 

For a dream though, Junmyeon felt extraordinary uncomfortable. He was mildly cold, stiff all over and Jongdae was staring at him with bulging eyes. Junmyeon could also hear Chanyeol's deep voice rambling. 

“Ohmygod-he'sawakeholy-” 

Then Junmyeon strained his vision to his left and met Kris's eyes, staring down at him with worry and… lo- care? It must be care. 

“Kris?” He croaked, forcing words past a long unused throat. 

There was gasp and Luhan pushed himself into his vision with Minseok. 

“Jun? Jun are you awake?” Minseok fretted. 

“Junma?” Junmyeon heard a newrly unfamiliar voice call, and when he looked he saw Tao, hesitantly smiling at him.

He looked back up and Kris was still staring at him, so very realistic. Kris hadn't appeared in his dream so far, Junmyeon supposed it was time. 

“Junmyeon?” Kris asked, so very gently and so very unlike him. “What's wrong? Do you hurt somewhere?”

Junmyeon hurt everywhere in fact, but this was a dream and that didn't really matter. 

“It's nothing.” Junmyeon rasps. “You're just a dream.”

Kris smiled oddly at him. “Am I?” He asked, as he trailed a finger across Junmyeon's lips. 

“You- you wouldn't be here anyway.” Junmyeon stuttered out. “So you're not really here-"

Kris leaned foward and Junmyeon tasted airport mints and sausages. When he pulled back, Junmyeon's mind snapped back into his body with stunning clarity. 

“Kris.” Junmyeon breathed. “You- you're here?”

Kris chuckled at him and ran his long fingers up the side of Junmyeon's face, framing the doe-eyed expression. 

“I came for you, idiot.”