A question

Guardian - Angel

 

You must remember that being devout does not make you superstitious, and that Kim Junmyeon was really only at that place, at that particular time, because of coincidence. (Or, a certain angel punted her lunch at the strings of fate so she could meet her idol.) Junmyeon did not, at first, entertain the thought he was perhaps not having a lucid moment and that the girl had really descended from the sky. 

“Oh, wow, you're even more amazing up close.” Sowon began, staring slack-jawed at him. 

Junmyeon would have run by now, because all he wanted was a quiet day without EXO and EXO was not just it's members but it's very enthusiastic fans too. But Junmyeon doesn't run because he's 100% sure he's either asleep or hallucinating. 

“Oh, I'm sorry. That was awkward.” Sowon clears and folds in the bulk of her massive dove wings. She pulls a clipboard from the sling bag bouncing off her white uniform and procures a pen from her hair. 

“Okay, because of procedure I need you to state your name.” 

Junmyeon blinks and balances his soda can carefully on the railing. It would hurt a bit if it dropped on someone, especially since this was the fifteenth floor. Junmyeon debates the cons of talking to his hallucination, but he feels strangely compelled to answer her. 

“Alright. Kim Junmyeon.” 

The pen glows and clicks as Sowon scribbles into the clipboard. Satisfied with whatever it was, she put it away and greeted Junmyeon again with renewed sunniness. 

“Alright. Hello Mister Kim- do you mind if I call you Junmyeon? I'm a big fan. Huge fan. You're my EXO bias.”

“Go ahead.” Junmyeon says, and he can't help but smile the same smile he gives to the most endearing of fans. Sowon almost swoons and Junmyeon considers reaching out to stabilise her before she snaps back into a semi professional mode. 

“Alright, Junmyeon then. I'm your assigned guardian angel- it's such an honour by the way- and in light of your pure heart, heaven has granted me permission to grant you one wish.” Sowon smiles and extends her hand. “Sowon, at your service. Any wish you make can be achieved so long as it brings no harm or evil. Wishes involving the reversal of death and the creation of life beyond natural means is a no. True love, straight up, is also a no.”

“The rules of magic then?”

“Yup.”

Jumyeon shakes her hand and when he retracts it, he flexes his fingers experimentally. She was solid, a little warm and her hands had been soft with flesh. 

“Excuse me for a second.”

Junmyeon rummages in his bag for a water bottle and pops the cap. Sowon sputters when he tips the cold contents over his face. (That might have been because he was wearing white, which did wonders when it was wet.) Junmyeon rubs his eyes for good measure before looking the angel over. 

“Alright.” Junmyeon begins, his voice slipping at the edges. “There's an angel in front of me.”

Then, like an afterthought, he added, “Do you mind if I hyperventilate here for a moment?”

Sowon digs a hand into her bag and it comes back up with a paper bag in it's grip. “Oh that's fine. That's a very standard reaction. You were doing very well. I admire your calmness.”

Junmyeon accepts the bag gladly, closes it over his mouth and starts panicking. 

-

Jongdae yawns from his spot, a half lean against the back of the couch, Baekhyun and Chanyeol squeezed on the other side. 

“Where's Junmyeon hyung?”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol remain absorbed in their game. From the kitchen, Kyungsoo answers. 

“Went home for a while.” 

“Oh okay.”

-

“So, one wish right?” Junmyeon begins, holding out a can of soda. 

Sowon nods and takes the can with a furious blush. (A can Suho touched! She'd frame it somehow later.) “Just tell me what you want and I'll be more than happy to grant it!” Sowon chirps. 

“Well… is wishing to understand my members better an achievable wish?” Junmyeon asks. 

Sowon slips out her clipboard and takes the pose of a professional therapist. “Can you elaborate please? Wishes need to be exact to prevent backfiring.”

Junmyeon has by now put away the great absurdity of the situation, and rolls with it. An angel-therapist? Okay. He could deal with that. 

So Junmyeon started off by slowly describing the instability of his relationships with s beyond official band activities, which lead to mentioning how they seemed to be actively bullying him which trailed into exasperated rants. 

“I don't understand them! I hope to understand them but they really seem to want to? It's been four years and I find that this is a bit of a sad relationship to have?” Junmyeon sighed heavily. Sowon hadn't looked away from him once for the entire rant, though her pen was never still against the clipboard. 

“Go on.” She encouraged. “Let it all out. It'll be relieving.”

Junmyeon takes in a deep breath and continues. “I think- I think what I want is for us to understand each other. There was a period of time where we were like a family.” Junmyeon hesitates, biting down on his lip. “Its not possible to return to that time, but I'd like for the state of our relationship at least to return to that period.” 

Sowon holds in the tears and pats Junmyeon's arm comfortingly. “You're doing a great job as a leader. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Give me one hour to get you the wish you deserve in return for you hardships.”

Junmyeon pats her arm back and Sowon resists the urge to squeal unprofessionally (oh my god, I just had skin contact with Suho!). 

“Thanks for listening anyway.” 

Sowon nods and opens up a window. “Rest for now! You deserve breaks!”

Junmyeon says thank you, and waves her off for a while before he can look weird standing at the window, staring out an empty sky. 

-

“What do I do?” Sowon wailed. “He deserves so much better!” 

Minmi passed her a tissue. The lounge at heaven was very well stocked with tissues. The sofa table was laden with it. Angels tended to get emotional very easily. 

“You give him the love he deserves Sunbae.” Minmi said reassuringly. “You have the power to make his life better.”

“But how?” Sowon grabbed Minmi by the shoulders. “How do I craft the wish so Junmyeon ends up with the maximum amount of happiness?”

Chorong voiced out from behind her clipboard, a white rectangle overrun with doodles. “Make the members admit they love him. Teach them a lesson.” 

“Do it like a Korean drama! Make it extreme!” Minmi said randomly.

“Use that cliche!” Chorong chorused in support. “Like in the last episode of DoTS!”

Sowon threw a couch pillow at them. “I haven't watched DoTS! What are you talking about?”

“Fake death cliche!” Minmi supplied. 

“Uh, hell no gurl. That's depressing. I have a different idea.”