An apology

Guardian - Angel

It takes one week for the sense that something is horribly wrong to sink in. 

“Why isn't he waking up?” A manager demands. Sowon would cry if this was a normal situation, but the manager seems like a jerk so instead Sowon nurses an inner hatred that fuels her through the conversation. 

“Because he has head trauma?” Sowon says dryly. “This is a hospital sir, I suggest you control yourself.” 

From the side, Chanyeol warily eyes a reddening manager. He came today with Kyungsoo, who is in the room with Suho, and Jongdae, downstairs grabbing coffee. Sowon hoped that some Kyungmyeon is happening behind that door. 

“How long until he wakes up?” Chanyeol asks after the managers storms off, thoroughly pissed at Sowon's indirectness. 

“Depends.” Sowon shrugs. “He could get better, or complications could arise as a result of the injury.”

Sowon waits a moment as Chanyeol's face falls and drops her hint. “You could try talking to him. Medical research has shown that sometimes coma patients remain aware of their surroundings.” Sowon smiles and pats Chanyeol's shoulder. “Sometimes you need medicine, other times you need hope.”

-

Kyungsoo lightly traces the outline of Junmyeon's hand. It's tougher than his own, the muscles stiffer from disuse Kyungsoo supposes. Briefly, he recalls the ample amount to head ruffling and pats Junmyeon gives out. Junmyeon is always so free with displays of affection, a constant reminder that they are loved, they are cared for. 

Kyungsoo sneaks a glance at the door. 

Quietly, Kyungsoo softly presses his lips to Junmyeon's forehead. It's a chaste kiss, something no one will read too deeply into. This way Kyungsoo can remain safe from judgement, but still leave Junmyeon with something. 

“Wake up soon, hyung. We're waiting.” 

I'm waiting. 

Kyungsoo shuffles in place, drowned by the silence and the lack of Junmyeon's voice. When Chanyeol steps in, Kyungsoo brushes past him quickly, eager to step out. 

The giant steps back in surprise. “Soo?”

“Bathroom.” He mumbles quickly and Chanyeol lets him slip by in worry, neither noticing the jump in Junmyeon's heart rate. 

-

Jongdae closes his eyes and presses the cool metal of his coffee into his forehead. 

“Most people would get warm coffee.” 

Jongdae blinks his eyes open and smiles dryly. “Jongin yah. Where's ‘hello, hyung’?”

Jongin leans over, and despite his smile he's sagging into Jongdae. Now that they're this close, Jongdae can see that the bronze skin has paled and there are bags under his eyes. 

“You look crap Nini.” Jongdae laughs. 

“You look worse.” Jongin smiles back, before his eyes droop to Jongdae's bag of coffees and bread. 

“Hows hyung?” He asks as he swipes one cans. 

“Still sleeping.” Jongdae says, his voice hollow. “I think manager-hyung just finished attacking the doctor.” 

Jongin nods. “I saw him leave. Why don't I hang on to these?” He motions to the bag. “We can't bring this much up at once unless we want a nurse glaring at us so I'll just loaf around the lobby and wait for the others.”

Jongdae opens his mouth to protest but Jongin shoves him towards the elevators. “Go kiss snow white awake you dolt.”

Jongdae laughs breathily, swatting Jongin. “Is that your fantasy or something?”

Jongin grins and slips away, leaving Jongdae with nothing to do but wait for the elevator to take him up. 

It feels strange for him to be in the hospital for so long. He's not one of the more injury prone members, and even then, the most they get are sprains and minor injuries. Jongdae's never had to be in a hospital longer than a week. When Junmyeon wakes up, Jongdae will swear off hospitals for the rest of his life. 

The elevetor opens with a soft ding, and Jongdae spots Chanyeol poking his head out of Junmyeon's door. 

Jongdae jogs up to him in worry. “What's wrong?”

Chanyeol shakes his head in reassurance. “Nothing. I'm just looking for Soo. Stay here for a bit?” 

Chanyeol slips away, a tall figure ambling down the corridors, and Jongdae lets himself into Junmyeon's room. 

The lack of change is unnerving. Junmyeon looks out of place, petrified against the backdrop of undulating curtains and shifting light. It disturbs Jongdae, so he draws near to ruffle Junmyeon's hair. 

“Just bear with me hyung.” He murmurs. “Or better yet, wake up and scold me.” 

Jongdae feels slightly masochistic, yearning for Junmyeon's reprimands this way. But at this point, Jongdae would do anything to hear his voice again, be it praise or bereavement. 

Jongdae's fingers lower, tracing the edges of Junmyeon's face and trailing down to his throat. 

“Wake up please.” Jongdae whispers. “I need you to wake up for me.”

Junmyeon doesn't move. 

Chanyeol leans forward in his seat to poke lightly at Junmyeon's still form. 

“Yah, hyung. You almost made Jongdae and Kyungsoo cry.” He reprimands, voice shaking. He'd found Kyungsoo rubbing at his eyes with water in the bathroom, and when he'd left Kyungsoo to gather himself, he'd walked in on Jongdae standing beside Junmyeon, his breath stuttering. 

Honestly, now he feels like crying too. 

“Yah hyung.” Chanyeol begins, his voice unsteady. “You're supposed to be our guardian, what are you doing making us cry like this?” 

Chanyeol pauses to even his breath. He is not going to cry. He is not. 

“Or do you not want to be the guardian anymore? Have we made you too tired?” Chanyeol looks down to the circles he's been thumbing into Junmyeon's palm. 

“That's okay.” He breathes out. “When you come back, we'll be your guardians instead. So come back, okay?” 

Chanyeol stands, leaves and ignores Jongdae and Kyungsoo as he locks himself into a bathroom stall to cry. 

Back in the room, Junmyeon's hand twitches.