Dividing Lines

Underland
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]chapter five - [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] “I wish I hadn't cried so much!” [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]The vehicle came to a sudden halt with half of us half-asleep. I straightened myself up before I felt Yeonjung’s cold hand grip my bare arms. I look at her in confusion but continued to lay low. Her eyes were focused on the image that was in front of us and because she was in the middle of Minhyuk and I, she had a clear view of anything that was happening in front of us.

Minhyuk and I laid low – even though Yeonjung was far younger than us just judging from her appearance, we could also tell that she was a thousand times more experienced than us with gunfire and missions. She looked at us and placed a finger on her soft lips before adjusting herself and allowing Minhyuk and I to see what she had just witnessed.

A herd. A herd of people was in front of us. People who looked unusual and tired. No, they weren’t people at all. They were dead. We were witnessing the dead talking amidst ourselves. The others who weren’t Minhyuk, Wonho, and I were calm. Wonho said nothing, his head covered and Minhyuk just looked plain uncomfortable.

“And then you go,” Yeonjung whispered beside me. “Dead.”

Jin turned to glare at me. “As much I would love to have a fun time, we can’t. So, for now we must lay low and wait for the herd to clear out. We’re going to have to wait for the sun to go down. So, everyone lay low unless you want to die.”

Taehyung chuckled next to him, reclining the chair and closing his eyes. “Let me get some shut-eye before we gotta do some action, will you?” In a matter of minutes, he was passed out, soft snores escaping through his mouth.

Jin rolled his eyes, laying an arm against the side of the door, one hand still on the wheel of the vehicle. I don’t think I saw his eyes ever leave the herd. It didn’t seem like they had seen us. From my position, they were about twenty feet away from us. If we didn’t make any sounds, I don’t think they’ll be able to notice us at all.

Yeonjung just shrugged her shoulders, shot me a look that said “I told you so” and went to take a nap. I looked over at Minhyuk, “Why don’t you look surprised?”

Minhyuk just scoffed. “You ever see those horror movies? I feel like I’m in it right now,” he whispered. “I look tough right now but I’ll probably freeze if I’m ever in those things’ presence.”

“Yeah…same.”

I peek over Wonho who was on the right of the third row. Cheng Xiao and Jeongguk chatting away happily as though everything was just fine and alright. Cheng Xiao caught my eye and smiled. “You should sleep.”

“Aren’t you scared?”

Cheng Xiao looked at me strangely, as though I had just asked her a stupid question. “Not really. You just get used to it, I guess.”

“Used to it?”

Jeongguk interrupted, “She means that you just have to get used to it. No one wants to, but in this world, it’s all about survival. You should only care about yourself.”

Wonho scoffed. “Who taught you that, kid?”

“Don’t call me a kid,” Jeongguk snapped, crossing his arms against his chest. “You don’t know what we’ve gone through. We’re practically just steel at this point.”

Cheng Xiao remained silent, looking down and playing with her fingers. She turned to Jeongguk and shot him a small smile before closing her eyes and al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter