2..

Hovike

"YO BAEK!"

The boy whose name was called, looking up from where he was sitting to see his friend, Jongdae, coming down to meet him on his Hovike. He was sitting there waiting for his whole gang of friends to arrive.It was a small group, including him, Jongdae, Yixing, Chanyeol and Suho. The other three arrived shortly after. This was their regular meeting place - a park for kids to play in. They would asemble here everyday before deciding on where to bike to. Hovikes were still very unstable mid air, however, they were good at being used in going up buildings, since they were able to use the infrastucture to balance themselves on. This had quickly led to the development of sports involving scaling high rise buildings on Hovikes. Baekhyun, not being one to be left behind in trends, quickly ropes his friends into starting a gang with him. It was actually very fun. They would take videos of themselves scaling buildings, doing stunts using their Hovikes, and upload them to websites full of the community of Hovike enthusiasts. Their group, called Exo, had a small following of itself. 

Today, they wanted to break their previous record of their rival group of the top liked video, and so Baekhyun had huge plans for today.

"So guys!" Baekhyun began, rubbing his hands together, eyes twinkling in excitement, and delight. "Today, I was thinking to go bigger than big, we need to think huge."

Yixing rolled his eyes, "Get to the point already!"

"I was thinking that today we scale the Doyun building. It's the tallest building around. We would be legends!"

"Isn't that a bit too high Baek?" Chanyeol said, uncertainty making lines on his smooth forehead. "I don't think that would be safe. 

"Yeah Baek!" Suho agreed. "And can't we choose a building where, let's say, I DON'T LIVE IN? What will the management of the building think of me?"

Jongdae chuckled, "Rich brats' problems." A little louder, he said, "Why don't you hear us out first. We have thought this through."

Baekhyun nodded, "A friend of mine introduced me to this engine power enhancers that will allow up to make better use of the EM system to allow us to stably connect to the building infrastructure and move further up north."

"What about all that glass?" Yixing piped up, "That weakens the connection"

"What if we fall?" Chanyeol added.

"The glass won't be a problem as long as there are grids holding them in place. And Baek's friend can also enhance the Hovikes to add a suction system that allows you to attach yourself to a surface without the help of EM and stabilize ourselves in case of a fall."

"That sounds awesome and all, but how much weight would that add to the system? Those sounds like enormous modifications." Suho said, "Also, the cost..."

"You don't have to worry about the weight." A voice said. They all turned in its direction to see a tall man walking towards them. "All these modifications barely add to it"

Baekhyun and Jongdae skipped to him to give him a quick hug as a greeting before introducing him to the other three. "Guy, this is Kris, the one I was telling you about. He offered to help us out. Don't worry about the price. We will take care of it" Jongdae said, smiling. 

"Okay, sure, but how long?" Yixing asked.

"I will need two or more week's time to make all the modifications. You will need to leave your Hovikes with me till then."

---x---

"Are you guys excited?" Baekhyun asked as he and the rest were walking away after leaving their Hovikes in Kris' store for modifications. "I am totally gonna try and going up to the top. 

"Yeah right!" Jongdae laughed. "Why don't you just aim for 60 floors instead. There is no way you can reach the top."

Baekhyun laughed, "Watch me." Turning to Suho, he asked, "Hey, Suho, does anyone live up there at the topmost level? You know, where the dome is?"

Suho scoffed, "No. I think that is only for the aesthetics of the architecture."

"It would be a nice place to live in though, don't you think? I wish I was lucky enough to afford a place like that." Chanyeol mused, as he looked up at the building, barely making out the glass dome at the top. It really was such a tall building...

---x---

Three weeks ago

"You must really like Hovikes!" Cindy's soft voice pulled Kyungsoo away from the pages in his hand. He was currently looking at the blueprints of the engine that would allow the Hovikes to amplify the output of their EM signal, allowing them to use the grid system, used by hover cars, much more easily. It was an initial plan, but Kyunsoo really though that he was getting somewhere with this. Not that it would be of any use, since no one outside would look at it. Maybe he could build one for himself. He was afraid to ask Cindy if he could though. What use was it to him anyways? What if she left him again for asking? He would truly go mad... 

He just hummed a response as he continued poring over the blueprints.

"Why don't you try making one for yourself? It would be a fun project." Cindy said, and Kyungsoo couldn't believe his ears.

"Seriously?"

Cindy laughed, "of course."

Kyungsoo rushed to hug her and thanked her, feeling more excited than he had been in ages. But then he balked. "But how am I going to get the parts to make it?"

Cindy smiled, "You don't have to worry about it. Just quickly finalize these blueprints and everything will be provided to you."

How? Kyungsoo wondered again, but chose not to voice his question. He just thanked Cindy once again.

It had been four weeks now, and he had almost assembled his Hovike together. Just like Cindy had said, all the parts were there one morning, after he finalized his blueprints. Kyungsoo had just ignored the cuiosity bubbling in his chest and rushed to create his own Hovike and he was looking forward to the finished product.

---x---

Two weeks later

Baekhyun sent out a group text to all his friends. "Let's go pick up the bike today. Kris called and said that they are ready."

All five of them met up at their regular spot.

"Baekhyun," Suho said as the group started walking towards Kris' store. "I know you and Jongdae said that you guys would take care of the cost, but I am having a bad feeling about this. You guys definitely can't afford such a thing. What are you not telling me?"

"Uhhh!" Baekhyun said, looking towards Jongdae for help.

"Sooo, its a tester model." Jongdae said, ruffling his hair. "Since we will be testing it for the company, they made the mods for free."

This got a chorus of protests from the other three. 

"How could you not tell us this. What if they are not safe?" Chanyeol asked.

"And why are we aiming so big if we dont know if the system is safe." Yixing exclaimed.

Baekhyun tried to calm them down, "Don't worry. We will do a test run before we do the actual thing. Plus, the suction system is tried and tested. If anything goes wrong, we will stay safe."

"I am not so sure guys." Suho said.

Jongdae stepped forward, "Guys, just try a safe round at least and then if you want to opt out then feel free to do so."

"Ugh! Sure!" Chanyeol huffed as he stomped forward. 

Baekhyun laughed, "It's gonna be great guys! I can feel it in my bones."

"That is so not reassuring" Yixing grumbled and they laughed as they continued walking.

---x---

"It looks great Kyungsoo. I always knew you were a smart child. I am so proud of you." Cindy said as she stood beside said boy, looking at the assembled Hovike.

Kyungsoo felt proud too. It was beautiful. With Cindy's help, the Hovike looked almost custom made.

"This might just revolutionize the industry for Hovikes." She smiled

"Can I-" Kyungsoo stopped short and looked away, at the ground beneath his feet.

"Can you what?"

It was a simple question, but sounded so menacing to Kyungsoo. Take the Hovike out for a ride. There was no way Kyungsoo could actually say that. "Get steak to eat tonight? You make amazing steak." He said, avoiding looking at her or the outside in fear of his eyes giving away his thoughts.

"Sure! In the mean time, why don't you paint your Hovike to make it look like one from the pamphlets you collect? It will look prettier."

Kyungsoo nodded. He already had an idea in his mind about what he wanted it to look like. He was gonna make her look more beautiful than any other hovike out there.

---x----

"WOOHOOO!!! " Jongdae screamed, "This is amazing! ! I cant wait to take this one the actual run. How long will we be testing this for? Let's just go already!" He said, calling out to others. They all parked on the side of the road below .

"So?" Baekhyun said, turning to the three who had doubts before. "Will you guys come?"

"Yeah!" Chanyeol whooped,

"I'm in!" Yixing grinned.

"Me too!" Suho laughed, "Let's do this."

...

"On Second thoughts..." Suho looked up at the building that was also his home. He really didn't wanna be scolded for this.

"Just chill dood!" Jongdae said, slinging an arm around his shoulder. "We'll be done in no time."

Reluctantly, he agreed, and they all got ready to go.

When they finally started scaling the Doyun building, Baekhyun, felt his usual adrenaline rush take over his entire being. He was buzzing with excitement, determined to go beyond his limitations. He looked up to the sky and imagined himself standing atop the glass dome, and raising his hand to catch soft clouds floating around. Or, he could finally figure out what is inside the dome. Maybe there is a special signalling machine that scientists use to try and communicate with aliens. That would be so cool!!! Oh, he was feeling even more excited! Propelled by his adrenaline, he sped up. He had full confidence in his safety since he was prepared. His suction system would prevent fall, pressure equilibrating suit would allow him to easily go higher without feeling the fatigue of altitude, and his shock absorbing helmet that also supplied oxygen. YES!

Baekhyun's earpeice crackled as Jongdae's voice was transmitted to him. "All the drones are set and the recording looks good. We are reaching the 30th floor, and going strong. Yixing, looking sharp!"

Yixing's voice came next. "Always buddy!"

Baekhyun chuckled. "Wanna circle around as we go up? It will look cooler!"

"Race you to 60th floor!" Chanyeol's voice buzzed in as the boy sped up.

Suho's Hovike suddenly was leading, "You are 1000 years too early to challenge be boy!" His amused voice crackled.

Baekhyun smirked, they had nothing on him. He accelerated a bit more and flashed Suho a peace sign before taking the lead. 40th floor. 50th floor...

"Ladies and gentlemen!" Jongdae's voice announced. "We have a winner. Baekhyun!!! He is still going strong. Look at him speed up. Next goal 100th floor."

"Actually guys!" Chanyeol said, "I think I will pull out after 70th. I don't feel confident about going further."

"Same here!" Suho's voiced said. "I would like to go back down soon before they start getting angry."

"Cool cool! We already did a lot and you guys looked awesome, so mission accomplished." Jongdae said. "Anyone else wanna pull out?"

"Do you?" Yixing laughed as he sped up and overtook Jongdae.

After 70th, the two went down and started monitoring the video.

As they got closer to 100th, Yixing's voice transmitted to them, "I am pulling out now guys. See ya.Try to look good for the broadcast."

Jongdae bid him goodbye and then spoke to Baekhyun, "Sup dude! You've been awfully silent today. Everything okay?"

Baekhyun spoke after a beat, "I feel like if i speak, my heart might jump out of my chest. I can't describe this feeling that i am getting right now, like I am entering zen. This is the best thing i have felt in my entire life Dae."

Jongdae chuckled, "Same here buddy. But I think we should head back soon. I think this is enough."

"You head back soon. I wanna try reaching the top still."

"Baekhyun!" Jongdae warned, "Don't get carried away."

"I won't. I have a weird feeling about this. Like i have something waiting for me at the apex. I can't let it down. I have to go there Dae."

"I am worried about you Baek."

"I understand. DOn't worry. I will be fine. I promise!"

"Come back down safely then Baek. I am allowing you to go because you are gonna be grounded for a month after this anyways."

" you Dae!"

"Well, see you when you come down!" Saying so, Jongade also pulled out.

Now it was just him, and he was going to reach the top no matter what.


Lol! Welcome to the story. Glad you liked it enough to join me here. 

Other stories: The Personal Assistant,   bad kids,   best of best* exo fic recommendations,   you found me!,   Stupid Exo Oneshot collections,   The God of laziness,    Exobendbaeksoo reference listsnow whitePet boyThe mermaid's kiss

Awesome people: Tina08,  PeasentOTP