Flight 4

나의 천사 (My Angel)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N I recommend you to read this chapter with this song on, it will totally compliment the feel of the chapter. Disclaimer: I don't own the song! Thanks!)

 

 

 

"Hello?"
"Miya? It's Vernon."
"Oh, hi. What's up?" I ask, receiving a call from Vernon out of the blue.
"Nothing much. I just wanted to invite you to dinner today. Are you free?"
"Yeah, I'm free tonight."
"Great, I'm picking you up at your house at 6."
"Okay, see you later." I dropped the call.

"Who was it?" Ara asked. We're both at work right now.
"Vernon. He was asking me out for dinner. Nothing too big."
"You call that nothing big?! Girl, everyone here wants to have a dinner with the Vernon!"
"Not everyone." I muttered.
"What did you say?"
"I mean... that includes you?"
"You bet! I'm seeing someone else right now though but I'm definitely going to vote him for you!"
"Yeah right."
"Hey, don't ever mention someone else in front of him again okay?"
"Who would I mention anyway? No one's interesting."
"Oh, you know. Angels."
"Stop it, Ara. This discussion is over." I left Ara alone, irritated. She didn't have to bring him up again.

 

 

Time passed by really fast and it was time for Vernon to pick me up. I wore a strapless blue dress that reached just up to my knees, throwing a black blazer on for formality. I did my hair, put on just a little make-up and picked the perfect stilettos to go with the look. The doorbell rang and I quickly went to open the door.

"Hey gorgeous."
"You look fine yourself."

Vernon was wearing a classic black suit with his hair up, looking totally handsome. It wasn't his usual get-up. I can tell that he prepared well for this evening.

"So..."
"Oh, let's get going."

He offered his hand, and I took it. We walked up to his car where he opened the door for me and I sat beside him on the passenger seat. His chic, black car looked as impressive on the inside.

"So.. um, where are you taking me tonight?"
"That's for me to know and for you to find out. Well, you're not hungry yet, right?"
"Nope."
"That's good."

I sat comfortably on the passenger seat without a clue of where we're going. It has to be quite far. We've been on a 30-minute drive now. I've been looking out the window ever since, not giving the slightest effort to start another conversation.

We passed by a little girl who was wearing a white dress with a halo above her head, leaving a small smile on my face.  guess she's one of the choir members around town who's practicing for the annual Christmas concert? It's already October.

Right, it's the same month as before. The same month that I met him. It was on the fourth. 1004. My angel. And everything has changed since then. Our meetings went on for around a year, until he vanished. It's been 10 years since then.

"Miya?"
"..."
"Hey, are you awake?"
"Oh, sorry about that. What were you saying?"
"I was just checking on you. We've arrived."
"I didn't notice. Very well."

Vernon and I entered a fancy restaurant and a waiter was waiting for us there. Vernon whispered something to him and he led us to the back, there was a lavish setting at the gazebo. The lights were breathtaking.

"Are we really going to dine here?"
"Relax, I prepared all of this just for you." He smiled at me and I felt my heart ache, knowing that I can't return his feelings when all he's ever been was good to me. "Let's go?"
"Okay."

When we got to the table, everything was already prepared. Red wine, steak, soup, candles, everything. Vernon pulled my chair for me, I smiled at him. We ate our dinner as we did, I could feel him staring at me the whole time. It was making me tense.

"Um, Vernon... is there something on my face?"
"No! I just... you're...you're really beautiful. I can't take my eyes off you."
"Haha, that's really cheesy."
"Yeah. So .... about the wedding..."
"I thought the wedding's not until January."
"I just wanted to talk about it. You seem uninterested at all, Miya."
"I..." That's all I managed to say.

The dinner continued without any other conversations. I decided to break the ice first, looking Vernon in the eye. I didn't want to break his heart because he's an awesome guy but it's unfair to him if I pretend I like him back too, right? He deserves someone who deserves him. And I'm not that someone.

"Um... you know this is just an arranged marriage right?" I said to him, seeing daggers in his eyes. It was horrible.
"I don't want this to be just that kind of marriage."
"Vernon, I-"
"Miya, since that day I met you, since that dinner at your hou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter