Flight 1

나의 천사 (My Angel)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Miya, are you going to the children's house today? I can totally go with you!"
"I'll be fine, Ara."
"I really want to go!" Ara, my best friend since the age of 15, insisted on going with me to the children's house which she has never done before.
"You never went there with me! This is all too fishy." I frowned at her.
"Just come on!"

Ara dragged me out of my own house and forced me to go with her to the children's house. I guess I have no choice now, do I? She accompanied me the whole way and I became really skeptical of everything that's going on.

"Ara, is there something wrong?"
"N-no! Why would you say that?"
"Why are you going to the children's house with me then?"
"Um...that's...because..."
"See? I have a hundred reasons to know something is very off and you don't have a reason to go to the children's house with me!"
"Oh, we're here!"

My attention was diverted to the group of kids running towards us once we got out of the car. One of them attacked me with a bear hug, capturing only my legs since he was far too short.

"Teacher! You're back!"
"Mm." I nodded. "Did you practice the assignments I gave you? Did you do your pieces?"
"Yes!" The children chorused.
"Well then, let's get inside before any of you gets a cold!"

I teach piano here in Angel Wings House of Children during the weekends for free. This house is like an orphanage and technically is - only they refuse to call it that. Everyone calls it their home. The name was derived from the quote Every child is God's angel. You can say that this is my community service.

"Okay, does anyone want to go first?"
"..." No answer.
"I will give a prize to the first volunteer!"
"..." Nope. Everyone was too nervous and afraid to play their assignment first.
"If that's the case, I will play first then."

I've been hoping to build the children's confidence when I came here but this happens every time. I guess they still need a little more push.

I decided to play River Flows in You by Yiruma since it's a piece the children love. The dramatic feel of the whole song just gets me everytime, yet it's not as hard as classical pieces to follow. I personally like Chopin best among the classical composers.

I closed my eyes and let my fingers dance on the keys, pouring every emotion into the song. Everyone waa captivated and their silence proved it. You can even hear a hairpin drop from the audience at this rate.

When I opened my eyes, the whole room applauded but I did not expect a familiar face to be there too. The entire room went wild with his presence.

"That was lovely."
"V-vernon... what are you doing here?" Shocked, that was all I managed to say to the person in front of me with a bouquet of flowers in hand.
"Is it wrong to visit my fiancee?" He walked to me and gave me the flowers, leaving a kiss on my cheek. The children, including Ara, went wild.
"It's teacher's boyfriend!"
"No, it's her fiance! They're getting married!"
"What? Teacher's gonna have a husband soon!"
"He's so sweet to be visiting teacher here!"
"..." I glared at Ara for a second and she gave me a wink and a small smirk in return. I knew something was off. "Look Vernon, it was nice of you to come but I'm on duty right now so..."
"It's fine. I'll just sit at the back and listen to your lesson."
"But the kids might get conscious, it won't be good."
"Hey, don't you want me to be here?"
"No, that's not what I'm trying to say..."
"We'll be married soon enough and I'm sure we'll be together for much longer so let's start getting used to, okay?"
"It wasn't my choice to marry you." I mumbled to myself, soft enough so that no one would here.
"What did you say, love?"
"Nothing. I'll be continuing the class then."

I knew from the start that something wasn't right. Ara came with me just so she can see Vernon's surprise appearance here at Angel Wings. Well, not that I hate the guy... this marriage is just an arranged marriage. I don't really love him, but he has an interest at me and since our engagement he's been showing up at random times like this. Every day the wedding date is getting closer and every night the probability of my prayers to the angels being answered is getting lower and lower.

Class resumed without any othe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter