Chapter 7

The B-Boy & The Mushroom Princess

Tiffany couldn’t believe it. The BBQ restaurant they went to had some of the best food she had ever tasted had except her mother of course. Looking up she realised Jay was staring at her both shocked and amazement. He tried to stifle his laughter but was rendered helpless when she looked at him funny.

“What’s so funny?” She asked slightly looking down from embarrassment.

“Nothing,” He replied she looked at him raising an eyebrow. “It’s nothing really,”

He held up his hands in innocence. With that she went back to eating.

“Ok I’ve never seen a girl eat like you do,” She looked at him glaring.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She asked.

“Oh nothing it’s just refreshing to see a girl not be too fussy about these kind of things,” Jay admitted. “Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing hahaha,”

Tiffany frowned a little at the last thing he said but laughed along with him after a while. “Hey I can’t help it, if it’s good food I like to enjoy it,” She said sticking her tongue out.

Jay couldn’t help but chuckle at her childishness responding with by sticking his tongue out at her as well. He can’t remember the last time he’s enjoyed himself so much just hanging out with a girl. He’s been so used to acting the part of a playboy for so many years that this is something almost completely new to him.

“Geez so childish. Look you can’t even eat cleanly,” He said as he noticed a bit of food on the side of her lip. He reached over with a napkin and gently wiped it off.

In that moment both of them just realised how close their faces were. Jay immediately sat back in his seat and both facing away shyly.

Tiffany on the other hand was flushed red. “Uh thanks,”

“No problem,” Jay said. Sensing the awkwardness he needed to change the subject “Oh right we were here to discuss the performance for the showcase next week. Like I said before, I thought just our vocals would be fine but I’m open to any ideas you can think of,”

“Um maybe we could dance?” She suggested with uncertainty.

Jay looked her over raising an eyebrow. “Are you sure about that? It might be difficult adding any sort of choreography in less than a week and on top of that I’m not sure how good of a dancer you are,”

“Yeah you’re probably right sorry I said that,” She said looking down in disappointment.

“Hey I didn’t completely say no to the idea. If you want to do it I’m up for it but we’re going to have to work extra hard for the next couple of days to be ready for the showcase,” He said. “This would mean spending most of your free time to practice,”

“Ok let’s do it,” She said with determination.

“Alright then we’re starting tomorrow,” He replied.

Sitting in silence for a while both of them went back to eating for a while. When their meal was finished both were full and thoroughly enjoying the meal. Jay paid for their meal and they left the restaurant. They had just buckled their seatbelts and Jay had an idea.

“Hey I’ve still got a lot of time before my next class did you want to go somewhere else?” Jay suggested.

“Sure why not? I have nothing else to do,” Tiffany replied. “Where did you want to go?”

“It’s my surprise, you’ll just have to wait and see. If you must know it’s one of my favourite places in Seoul to hangout,” He answered not wanting to divulge any more information.

“It’s not anywhere suspicious or sleazy is it?” Tiffany asked suspiciously.

“OH GOD NO,” He shouted defensively. “Cut me some slack will you just because I act like a playboy doesn’t mean have to be all the time. Besides what kind of sleazy places would be open in the middle of the day,”

“Sorry, it’s just I need to be entirely sure,” She laughed. “Let’s go then,”

Jay shook his head before starting the car and getting ready to leave.

“Oh Jay?”

“Hmm?”

“If you do take us to a sleazy place I’m going to punch you and call Taeyeon. I’m sure you don’t want that to happen,” She threatened all the while smiling.

“Geez I don’t need her giving me a hard time if I can avoid it. Besides I thought I already clarified that wouldn’t be the case,” He replied shuddering at the thought of having Taeyeon harassing him. “Ugh whatever let’s just go and you can give your opinion on it,”

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders as Jay went on his way. Tiffany admired the scenery of Seoul as Jay drove. In all her time spent in Korea so far she hasn’t been able to explore properly and experience everything the city has to offer. So just being able to see the city was refreshing in of itself. Jay looked over briefly watching her admire the scenery.

“You should see it at night. It’s oddly beautiful to Seoul illuminated when the sun sets,” Jay said catching her by surprise. “I could show you it to you if you like?”

“Hmmm. That almost sounds like you’re asking me out on a date or you could be trying to take me to somewhere sleazy at night?” She asked half suspiciously and half playfully.

“Don’t mistake my intentions we’re friends right?” She nodded when he looked at her. “I’m not going to be taking any of my female friends to a sleazy bar or club so please stop saying that,”

“So you mean you’ve had other female friends you hang out with? How come you never talk about them? You always talk about Simon, Gray and Loco,” She jokingly asked.

“Of course I do, well there’s Clara,” Jay said pausing a bit as he tried thinking of more.

“Ok the receptionist who else?”

“Well…there’s….also that other one,” He was mumbling now.

“That other one?” She asked suspiciously. She was secretly enjoying making him squirm. “She sounds interesting does she have a name?”

“Ok I can’t remember right now,” Jay was lost on what to say but luck was on his side and he quickly changed the subject. “Hey look we’ve arrived,”

Tiffany immediately turned her attention to outside the car in curiosity while Jay mentally sighed in relief. He parked the car on the side of the road, Tiffany got out of the car and took in her surroundings. They were in a small park with plenty of greenery and an old children’s playset but the thing that caught her eye the most was the large body of water that could only be the Han River. She spun around arms spread out taking the fresh air in before breaking into a light run towards the river. Jay just smiled at her childish behaviour before following after her. Tiffany stopped by the safety railings leaning over getting a better look at the river. She almost lost her balance leaning over too far but luckily Jay had caught up in time grabbing her around the waist helping her to regain her balance.

She looked back at him smiling her thanks, nodding his response he quickly removed his arm from her waist when he realised what he was doing. “You ought to be more careful or you’re going to find yourself in trouble,”

This earned him a light slap on the arm. “What? It’s not my fault you’re so clumsy. You’re just lucky I’m around to help you,”

“For your information I’m not this clumsy all the time only when I’m around you this stuff happens,” She replied.

“Is that so? So you’re saying I’m a bad luck charm or something. That kind of hurts, I think we might have to rethink this whole friendship thing,” He said playfully feigning hurt and walking away.

“Yah that’s not what I meant and you know it,” She said running after him.

Jay quickly broke into a run laughing loudly as she screamed trying to keep up. “YAH!! YOU’RE SO DEAD IF I CATCH YOU,”

“GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE TO TRY HARDER,” He shouted back.

Jay increased his running speed a bit more to gain more distance, feeling a bit tired he slowed down taking a seat on a bench close by. It didn’t take Tiffany long to catch up but she was huffing from the effort of running.

“Yah…why…did you…make me run like that?” She was slightly angry but she was so tired from the run she was out of breath.

“Stop, calm down and breathe slowly. You can kill me afterwards if you like but just listen to me,” She did as she was told. “Good now just sit down and rest. Yeesh you need to work on your cardio if you’re tired because of that,”

Tiffany was still too tired from running that she couldn’t be bothered arguing any further and sat down. She sat down next to him her breathing returned to normal after a while and she sat and just enjoyed the view of the river.

“You know this is the first place I went to when I came to Korea and it quickly became my favourite place in the entire city,” Jay spoke up. “It’s quiet here, it’s so calming and I could keep to my thoughts without being bothered. This is my secret spot when I want down time on my own not even my friends know I come here,”

“I see what you mean it’s so relaxing here. Thank you for sharing this with me,” She smiled gratefully.

“No problem, sometimes you have to take a break, gather your thoughts and evaluate life,” He smiled back. “I’m sorry for being so harsh before about the past. Guess the wounds were deeper than I thought,”

“It’s completely fine I shouldn’t have pushed the topic,”

“No I’ve been thinking a lot about the past lately. I’ve never told anyone about what happened back in middle school and why I suddenly just left without a word,” He spoke softly and nervously. “But I think I’m ready talk about it. I think you’re the right person to talk to, you’re a constant reminder of the past and I can’t avoid it any longer,”

Tiffany put a hand on Jay’s shoulder for support. “Start whenever you’re comfortable,”

He took a deep sigh before beginning.


Flashback:

It was the last day of middle school back and Jay was extremely excited about finally finishing middle school and moving on to bigger and better things in high school. He also had a huge decision to make within the next couple of hours but there was one thing he had to do first before making that decision. It was lunch time and Jay had decided this was the best time to confess to Jessica. He rushed out of class and headed towards Jessica’s classroom knowing she would still be there gossiping with her friend. He was running without paying attention and accidently got knocked over by a big body he fell face first but was able to brace himself.

“Woah are you ok Jaebeom?” Regaining his senses he looked to find Taecyeon the most popular student in the entire school. He was tall, good looking and extremely athletic everything Jay wasn’t well at least that’s what everyone else said to him.

“I’m fine sorry for bumping into you,” Jay jumped back before running off. “I’m in a rush I have to get going,”

He reached Jessica’s classroom in no time and peeked inside the room to see if she was still there. When he looked inside he saw Jessica and her friend Tiffany just walking out to leave the classroom.

“Get out of the way nerd you’re blocking the doorway,” Tiffany spat at him.

Jay adjusted his glasses before responding. “Please would do you a world of good with getting people to do things you want them to. I’m not here for you by the way,”

“JAY HI!” I’ve got something to tell you,” Jessica sounded excited.

“So do I. Um could we talk in private?” Jay asked. He tried his artist not to let the nerves get to him.

“Uh yeah sure. Tiffany can you leave us for sec?” Tiffany huffed in annoyance before leaving.

When it was just the two of them left in the classroom they both went to speak. “So what is it?” They said simultaneously. They both laughed at their actions.

“You go first Sica. You sounded more excited than I did,”

“Ok well. You know how I’ve always had a crush on Taecyeon since like forever?” Jay nodded along. He knew all too well about her crush something that has always bothered him. “Well you won’t believe but he actually asked me to be his girlfriend today. Isn’t that super great?”

“Uh yeah of course it is,” He responded weakly. He felt like he had just got hit by truck, it was taking all his strength to not break down.

“You don’t sound too excited. Are you ok? You don’t look too well,” She said in concern whilst reaching out to check his forehead.

Jay snapped back to his senses quickly gesturing her hand away. “I’m fine just feeling a little under the weather today,”

“What was it that you wanted to say? Sounds like it was important since you wanted to talk in private,”

“Oh it’s just that I wanted to let you know that I won’t be available on the weekend for our usual end of semester tradition. Family business to take care of you see. So sorry,” He straight lied to her but he needed to back out of the situation.

“Oh my gosh is that all Jay? I was worried it was something serious. Don’t worry about it,” She winked. “But you definitely owe me later deal?”

“Deal well I’ll catch you around,”

“It’s lunch time Jay aren’t you going to eat something at the cafeteria?”

“No I’m fine,” He said leaving.

The rest of the school day felt like a blur and he didn’t pay much attention to anything. After today he just wanted everything to finish. It was now the end of school and thus the end of middle school but Jay couldn’t have felt any more miserable. Normally he would walk home with Jessica but today he called his parents to pick him up. He was walking outside the front of the school where there was Taecyeon and Jessica holding hands and laughing together. The whole scene killed him inside and he tried his best to move past them without being noticed. He was trying to avoid having to be near them together. With much difficulty he was able to pass them and he quickly found his parent’s car and jumped in.

“Have you decided what your answer will be?” His mother asked.

“Yes. I’ll go,” He answered.

“Hmmm are you sure what about your friend?”

Jay looked out the car window and looked in the direction of Jessica. He observed how happy she looked before turning away. “Completely sure,” with that his mother started the car and drove off.


“Well that’s what happened,” Jay said finishing up his story, he was clamming up and tears were threatening to fall.

Tiffany sat in silence taking in everything he had talked about.

“So long story short my parents were already planning moving back to Korea but they gave me a choice of going with them or I could stay with my uncle and aunty in the states. I couldn’t see myself staying after I knew Sica was already taken. Call me petty and a coward if you want,”

“No I completely understand you now. Thank you for telling me the truth,”

She pulled him into a hug which pushed Jay over the brim and he let the tears fall freely. They stayed like that for a while until Jay had calmed down. He shifted out of the hug they stared into each other’s eyes. He stared at her with uncertainty as did she and she looked down after a while but he found his body moving on its own. He lifted her chin up with his hand so they were staring at each other again but this time he leant in closing his eyes. The moment their lips met she was unsure at first but soon she gave in to the kiss. Everything felt so right about this, both melted into the kiss losing themselves in the passion of the moment. When they finally separated both slowly opened their eyes just staring into each other unable to say anything.


Chapter 7 all done and a big event in the story (well two). For the loyal readers and subscribers thanks for the continued support and encouraging comments I appreciate them.