Chapter 4

The B-Boy & The Mushroom Princess

It had been a couple of weeks since the start of the semester and the whole following Jay incident. During that time Tiffany had been able to fully settle into her life in Korea whilst also becoming good friends with Taeyeon’s social group whilst also becoming best friends with Taeyeon since they were always hanging out together inside and outside of class. She hadn’t had the opportunity to talk to Jay in private mostly because of his continuous flirting which quickly put her off the idea to talk with him. Though she tried to avoid the flirting she couldn’t help but feel a little flattered by it all. She’d heard from fellow students that since her arrival Jay hasn’t tried to hit on any other girls. And she had to admit to herself that she maybe starting to have feelings for him.

Tiffany found herself sitting in her composing class since she was studying for a Bachelor of Arts with music as her major. This happened to be one of her favourite classes as she loved music and making songs. Both Taeyeon and Jay were taking the same class, something that made her happy as Taeyeon would help her if she was struggling with homework. Today was a rather boring class and Tiffany found herself drifting off and looking around the classroom. Her eyes slowly made their way to Jay, who had fallen asleep in the back corner. There was something cute about the way he slept and Tiffany found herself blushing at the thought.

That was until she was flicked in the forehead by Taeyeon. “Yah are you paying attention?” She scolded.

“What was that for?” Tiffany was rubbing her forehead as she glared at Taeyeon’s direction.

“You were spacing out and you had a goofy smile on your face when I turned around. And it looked as if you were looking at Mr. Playboy over there,” Taeyeon was pointing her finger at Jay.

Tiffany immediately denied the accusation furiously waving her hands in a way which meant no. But she could feel her face go red as she thought of Jay’s cute sleeping face again.

“OH MY GOD! You were staring at him,” Taeyeon said accusingly while pointing a finger into Tiffany’s arm.

“It’s nothing I was still curious about what happened to him in the past that’s all,” Tiffany said in defence.

“Don’t lie to me you were blushing when you were looking at him,” Taeyeon paused as her eyes grew wide. “Oh my gosh. Do you like him or something?”

“WHAT? NOOO!!” Tiffany vigorously denied the question. Still not convinced Taeyeon gave her an “are you sure?” look.

Finally giving up Tiffany sighed. “Ok m-maybe I kind of like him a little,”

“Tiffany you can’t fall for a guy like that. He’d only hurt you in the end,” Taeyeon reasoned.

“I know that but I can’t help it. It sort of just happened it’s not like I meant to fall for him,” She answered sounding slightly depressed. “Besides he wasn’t at all like this back in middle school,”

Taeyeon was motioning for Tiffany to continue what she was saying. “Back in the middle school he was so nerdy and we didn’t always see eye to eye. In fact we argued a lot actually. This was mostly because my best friend Jessica and I were super popular and Jaebeom was kind of a loser,” The loser comment earned a small giggle out of Taeyeon. “But that’s beside the point, despite it all he was actually a nice guy he was always so kind to Jessica and even me at times. I guess I was the one with the problem,” Tiffany always felt bad how she treated Jay back then and the fact she was never able to apologise since he just left without a word.

She looked down slightly saddened by the memories. Taeyeon instinctively started to comfort her by lightly rubbing her back. “Hey I’m sorry for being kind of harsh with the way responded,”

“No it’s not that Tae. It’s just sometimes I was so horrible to him back then and the way I treated him wasn’t nice. It was only after he left that I felt guilty about it all,” Tiffany explained.

“Hey it’s ok. If you do manage to talk to him about the past maybe you can sort out your differences,” Taeyeon said with encouragement.

“I have a confession to make Tae,” Tiffany paused and waited for Taeyeon to give her a sign to continue. ”As far as I can remember back in America we always argued mostly because I would insult him first but because he was always so attentive to Jessica. I guess you could say I was jealous with all the attention he was giving her. Once he left I think I was saddened more by it than Jessica because deep down I think I fell for him back then. And now seeing him again like this it’s only just reignited those feelings,”

“Wow. That’s a lot take in Fany but are you certain it’s him?”

“Yes I’m certain of it. Look despite his playboy attitude all his mannerisms were the same from what I can remember and his face is almost the same except they’re a bit sharper,” Tiffany grabbed something from her bag, it was a photo and she handed it Taeyeon. “That’s a photo of me back in middle school, the girl in the middle is Jessica and to the right of her is Jaebeom,”

Taeyeon looked at the photo closely studying the boy’s face and looking at Jaebeom in the book of the room for confirmation. “There’s no doubt about it they’re one in the same if not for a little maturing his face is basically the same,”

“But I’ll tell you something as well his body was never this good back then,” Tiffany confessed.

“What do you mean?” Taeyeon said with a confused expression.

Tiffany froze for a second realising she hadn’t told anybody about how she practically stalked him around the campus. “Well I kind of followed him a few weeks back and I followed him to a dance studio. He was wearing a tight fitting shirt and you could see his body definition,” biting her lip at the thought.

“Oh my, you byuntae Tiffany,” Taeyeon was shocked.

There was an awkward silence between them and Tiffany couldn’t bring herself to deny the previous statement. She just shrugged her shoulders and sighed in defeat. Luckily for her the teacher had spoken up gaining the attention of the class, even Jay had woken up to listen.

“Ok class we’ve moved well past the basic components of song composition and it’s time to see how well you have learnt the class material. So for your first major assignment you will be composing a song,” This earned a collective groan from the class. “However I understand some of you may not be that confident yet, so I’ve decided this will be done in pairs. I’ve already decided on the pairings so don’t even bother asking for a certain person and there won’t be any switching,”

All the girls in the class were waiting in anticipation as they were hoping to be partnered with Jaebeom. “Ok now it’s time to announce the pairings,” The teacher was reading out the pairings and Tiffany was hoping she would be paired with Taeyeon but as time went on more pairings were announced Taeyeon and had been paired up someone else. “Ok Park Jaebeom your partner is Tiffany Hwang,”

Tiffany could feel all the girls’ eyes glaring at her when her name got called out. But that was the least of her problems now she would be working with Jay on this assignment, which meant they would have to talk something she wasn’t looking forward to. The only redeeming part about this situation is she’ll be close enough to him to get the truth out of him. That was easier said than done since she couldn’t even bring herself to even hold a conversation with him.

“Ok class why don’t we all change seats to sit with your partners,” The teacher announced.

All the students got up from their seats to find their partners. Tiffany looked over at Taeyeon nervously, Taeyeon responded by mouthing fighting to her and an encouraging smile. As she got up she noticed that he hadn’t left his seat so she slowly walked towards his direction. Upon reaching him she took the seat next to him not sure of what to say.

“So,” She paused waiting for him to acknowledge her. He looked up in her direction, taking that as a signal to continue talking. “I guess we’re partners then,”

Tiffany was half expecting a smirk and a pickup line but he surprised her. “That’s fine with me, we’ll discuss details when we have free time,”

“Now that everyone has found their partners class is dismissed for now. It’s a bit early so use this time wisely to maybe get a start to on this assignment. It will be due in a month’s time so get to work,”

“I guess we have time now. Let’s get started shall we,” Tiffany suggested.

“Not here. I don’t like classrooms too boring and I can’t concentrate,” Jay said.

“So the library?” Tiffany asked.

“I just said I don’t like classrooms because they were boring. Do you think the library is any more interesting?” Tiffany shook her head. “I have place that’s quiet and no one will bother us. It will be perfect for this assignment,”

He got up from his seat and motioned her to follow him. Tiffany was nervous she didn’t know where they were going and what his intentions were. They were making their way to the entrance of the university, now noticing they were leaving the campus.  They stopped when they reached a sports car parked on the street.

Promptly unlocking it and opening the passenger side for her. “Jump in,”

“What? Why should I? I don’t even know where we’re going let alone what you’re planning to do,” She said screaming at him.

“Please if I were trying anything suspicious do you think I would have done it wide open on the street? Besides I’m sure you want to get as a good of a mark on this assignment as you can right?” Tiffany nodded her head. “Contrary to my image I would like to get a good score as well. And for that to happen I need good working conditions and the place we’re heading to will grant that,”

Not finding any reason to object Tiffany reluctantly sat in the car. Once she was seated Jay closed the door for her and went to the driver’s side and started the car. Settling into the car Tiffany had a look at the interior quietly impressed. When their seatbelts were fastened he pulled out of the parking spot and headed off.

It was a short ride only ten minutes, they pulled up next to an office building it was quite small compared to some of the other buildings around it. Getting out of the car Jay walked towards the entrance as Tiffany followed behind. Walking into the lobby there was a woman at the reception who looked up as they entered.

“Hello Mr. Park it’s always a pleasure to see you here and who’s this? A friend of yours?” The lady asked.

“Drop the formalities Clara you know I hate them. And this is a classmate of mine we’ll be working on an assignment together. So you might as well get used to her as she’ll be here frequently for the next 4 weeks,” Jay answered.

“Alright Jay sheesh I was just curious, you don’t know how boring it is working reception,” She snapped at him.

“Well it’s a good thing I don’t. But if you’ll excuse us we’ll be on our way,” Jay said walking off.

Tiffany shrugged her shoulders as the interaction between the two finished. “Sorry about that. It’s nice to meet you I’m Tiffany,”

“Clara, it’s nice to meet you too,” At that Tiffany hurriedly left to follow Jay.

Upon catching up to Jay she had to ask. “What is this place?”

“This is a building owned by parents for me to do my work,” He replied. “You’ll find out soon enough what this is for. Just follow me,”

He walked towards a door and opened it signalling her to walk in first. As she entered, Tiffany had realised it was a recording studio with all the equipment and recording room set up. She looked around in awe she took in every detail of the room. This was something she always wanted to do and experience herself since she was small. Jay walked in and sat down on the sofa at the back of the room. Tiffany sat down next to Jay turning to face him she put her hand out.

“We haven’t properly introduced I’m Tiffany Hwang,” She said Jay looked at her hand before responding.

“Park Jaebeom or Jay Park,” He said while shaking her hand. “Now shall we get started on this song?”

Tiffany nodded her head and they began.


Chapter 4 is up so enjoy reading and leave a comment please.