Chapter 3

The B-Boy & The Mushroom Princess

Jay rushed out of the classroom as soon as the teacher had dismissed them to meet up with his friends. He didn’t have to go very far as his friends were just outside waiting for him down the hallway. Slowing his pace as he neared them greeting each of them with their personal handshakes.

“Yoh guys what’s up?” Jay asked.

“Nothing just hanging out waiting for you to finish up class,” Simon replied. “I don’t even know why bother showing up to classes when you don’t even pay attention. You’re always chatting up some girl,”

“Woah a bit harsh there man. Besides it’s not like I fail any of my classes in fact I pretty much ace all of them no sweat,” Jay said smugly.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah Jay. Sometimes I forget how smart you are and how much of a nerd you were back when we first met you,” Gray said. “It still confuses me to this day,”

“Oh yeah I remember that hyung you used to get bullied back in high school because you couldn’t speak Korean properly,” Loco added. “Well you were until we came and helped you out,”

“Shut it Loco I don’t like to remember those days,” Jay said bluntly.

“That’s right then we just hung out with him from then on and we took him under our wings. And now look at him biggest play boy in this entire university and I even say Seoul,” Simon said.

“You know sometimes I regret that,” Gray said frowning.

“Turn that frown upside down bro its killing my mood. I’m not as bad as you say I am,” Jay said laughing. “At least better than before. God it gives me chills how boring I was back then,”

“Anyway Jay we’re working on a new song wanna help out with vocals?” Simon asked changing the topic.

“Oh yeah sweet, so what’s the plan?” Jay responded enthusiastically.

“Loco and I will be rapping, we’ve already written our verses and the lyrics so you just have to sing the chorus and of course Gray will be composing the instrumental. Happy with that?” Simon asked after finishing the explanation.

“That’s fine just name the time and place for recording and I’ll be there,” Jay replied. “Just not tonight I have dance practice,”

“Will do man,” Simon said.

They spent another couple of minutes discussing the song with arrangements and overall mood of the song. After they were finished discussing Loco started speaking. “Hey guys are we done talking I’m hungry let’s go eat,”

“Sure let’s go. Outside the campus or the cafeteria?” Gray asked.

“Cafeteria. It’s closer and we can have a look at all the new students,” Jay stated.

“You mean have a look at the new girls. Right hyung?” Loco asked.

“Ah my dear Loco you know me so well,” Jay said in an endearing tone while head locking him.

“Ok Jay enough with the bullying let’s go get something to eat,” Simon said while separating the two and dragging them both in the direction of the cafeteria.

Along the way they were very loud and boisterous, laughing and cracking jokes. This caused them unwanted attention from everyone on campus as all the students looked in their direction. This would always be followed by quiet whispering as they walked past, no doubt the main topic of discussion. For Jay the attention was something that amused him and he liked to take advantage of the fact flirting with any pretty girl that looked his way. More often than not he would wink in the direction of a group of girls causing a mass fit of giggles and blushing cheeks. Much to the dismay of Gray and the encouragement of Loco while Simon dismissed his actions. Upon reaching the cafeteria they were as loud as normal as everyone in the immediate area focused their attention on them. Ignoring the mass of eyes on them the boys found a bench to sit on while Loco went to get some food.

“Do you mind not flirting with every girl that walks past? We have enough attention on us as it is,” Gray asked tiredly.

“What? I’m just giving them what they want. It’s not as if I can help it,” Jay said raising his hands in defence.

“It just grows tiresome sometimes,” Gray said in defeat.

“I don’t know what you’re complaining about. You were much worse than me when I first met you Mr. Casanova and that was back in high school,” Jay said accusingly.

“Ok enough guys let’s leave it at that before you both say something you both regret,” Simon said speaking up.

Despite their reputation although sometimes exaggerated some of it held truth, Simon was always the morale and physical leader of the group and found it his responsibility to keep everyone happy. Jay and Simon both went quiet before smiling and laughing. This was how they always were. In the meantime Loco had got back with a large pile of food for everyone. Upon sitting down everyone started eating and chatting among themselves.

“Hyung found any girls that interest you yet?” Loco asked with a mouth full of food.

Jay looked at him in disgust. “Well that put’s me off eating lunch,” He said while putting down his chopsticks earning a confused look from the other boy. “But to answer your question nothing too special just yet but there is this cute girl in my class who came from America,” He stated simply.

“Wait. What?” Simon asked abruptly. Jay looked over raising an eyebrow at the sudden. “Of all the time we’ve known each other never have you once referred to a girl as cute,”

“What? That’s what she is. I’d have to admit she is hot but cute is a better description,” Jay said defending himself.

“Enough of that,” Loco said interrupting them. “You going to hook up with her hyung or not?”

“Not sure she doesn’t seem too fond of me right now. Seems to take offense with my lifestyle and Taeyeon seems to have been talking about me to her,” Jay said nonchalantly. Everyone was giving him a puzzled look. “But I digress. Hasn’t stopped me from trying before and you know me I like a challenge,”

“Sounds interesting enough what’s her name?” Gray asked curiously. In his mind he was pretty intrigued like Simon had pointed out he Jay had never used the word “cute” before and he was curious to see the type of girl that caused this.

“Not sure actually. I was late to class and entered just as she finished introducing herself,” Jay stated. “I’ll find out soon enough,” He paused. “Actually now that I recall we actually bumped into each other before class. Well she bumped into and we fell over,”

“Anything happen else happen?” Loco asked excitedly.

“Nah but like I said we’ll see. She tries to deny it but I can see her blushing when we talk,” Jay answered.

After that conversation ended they returned to discussing the new song they were working on. This time about when to actually meet up and start working arrangements and recording times. Upon finalising details Simon looked up and saw Tiffany looking in Jay’s direction.

“Yoh Jay looks like you have a fan at 12 O’clock,” Simon said to Jay.

Jay looked turning his attention in the direction Simon had said, smirking upon seeing who it was. She was staring at him quite intently and he shot her a wink. Noticing her look away at his gesture looking flustered Jay chuckled a little.

“Speaking of the devil that’s the girl,” Jay said grabbing the attention of the group as they looked over.

“Hey you weren’t kidding hyung she is cute,” Loco stated agreeing with Jay’s past description.

“When do I ever lie about these kind of things? When I say these things I tell the truth and only the truth,” Jay announced to the group.

“Yeah. Yeah. Shut up Jay. That girl doesn’t even look your type,” Gray stated matter of fact.

Normally Jay would have agreed with Gray as from previous interactions she looks like the high maintenance type and definitely worth the trouble but for some reason he found himself feeling determined. Not too many girls have been able to resist him and he’s never met a girl who could challenge him like this. Well that’s not entirely true he thought to himself as he remembered back when he was in America arguing with Stephanie Hwang but she liked to call herself Tiffany for some reason that always alluded him. When they would argue he liked to use her real name as she hated when he did call her by that name. Thinking back on it he wondered why he even bothered with that girl anyway it was only because she was Jessica’s other best friend.

Jay got lost in his own world when Simon started waving his hand in front of his face. Snapping out of the sudden day dream he looked at the rest of them noticing their worried faces as they stared at him. “What is it?”

“Nothing you were just spaced out a lot just then,” Simon stated. “And we got worried when you didn’t shoot a comeback at Gray,”

“Aish it’s nothing I was just thinking. By the way Gray I’d agree with you but she seems a little different I’ll take my chances,” Jay said with determination.

“Whatever Jay just don’t do anything stupid,” Gray said sighing at his words.

“Looks like that may be harder than it looks hyung. She seems to be getting close with Taeyeon and her group, you know how they are. God forbid you so much as look at them and they’ll rip your head off,” Loco said while gesturing the group of girls across the room.

“Eh Taeyeon isn’t that tough. There’s nothing to worry about from her but if it comes to it can I get your support guys?” Jay asked. They all nodded in agreement, under normal circumstances they’d just leave Jay be but on some occasions they will help him. “Thanks guys. We’ll talk later I have to leave for another class right now,”

After he finished talking Jay got up abruptly and left for his next class. As he left the cafeteria Tiffany’s eyes were on him still full of questions she needed to get closer to him to find out the truth though she wasn’t sure how. The rest of the day went by pretty fast for Jay as the classes just passed by he noticed that the new girl was in most of his classes. This time he kept his distance a little so he could observe her a little. Noticing the way she smiled and laughed as she interacted with the people around her he had to admit she was very beautiful not really like any of the girls he’s been involved with. But there was something about her that seemed familiar, he was unsure of what it was so he dismissed it.

He was waiting for the last class to finish so he could go to dance practice as this was one of his favourite things to do. He fell in love with dancing and hip hop in general when he was younger but only really started when he moved to Korea. When he was dismissed from class he rushed out of class. Getting to the on campus dance studio he stretched a little before playing some music and letting his body flow to the beat.

In the last class of the day Tiffany was just sitting and waiting for the class to end thinking about Jay. She was still wondering how she would even be able to confront him and confirm her suspicions. Though she needed to get closer she was grateful that he sat away from her in the rest of the classes they had together. When they were finally allowed to leave she noticed Jay run out of class in a pretty big hurry and she decided to follow him. She had trouble keeping up with him whilst also trying to avoid being noticed. After a couple of minutes he finally walked into what looked like a studio of some sort. She stopped for a bit to catch her breath still outside the room. She wasn’t sure what she should do after already following him this far. She was interrupted from her thoughts when she heard music okaying from inside and she moved closer to the entrance to see what it was. Peeking inside from the small gap in the doorway she saw that it was a dance studio, a nice open room with mirror walls on one side. Her eyes roamed the room until she found a lone figure dancing to the music. She was mesmerised by how good he was at dancing watching at the way his body moved with the beat of the song. Losing herself within the performance she lost her balance a little stumbling and hitting the door way causing a resounding bang with which caused Jay to turn around in the direction of the sound. Tiffany reacted with the speed of a lightning bolt and started running away so she wouldn’t get caught by him. Running around the nearest corner and hiding behind the wall she was trying to control her breathing.

“Oh crap that was a close one,” Talking to herself before heading back to her dorm when the coast was clear. All the while thinking of Jay and his dancing she was blushing at how good he looked while doing it.


Chapter 3 up, sorry for the wait but I was very busy with my end of semester exams for university. Anyway hope you enjoyed it and please leave a comment about what you think.