Chapter 6

The B-Boy & The Mushroom Princess

“So how did you’re song turn out?” Taeyeon asked. She was extra cheerful today since it was the due date for the song composition assignment and was eager to hand it in and get her score.

“It turned out great. I’m hoping to get a good score for it since we worked so hard on it,” She replied. They had actually finished the song a couple of days ago and hadn’t needed to do anything for it in since. This also meant they hadn’t spoken to each other in that time.

“You’re so lucky you got to work in a legitimate recording studio thanks to Mr. Playboy Jaebeom. Ugh even if it is him I’m so jealous I’ve always wanted to work in a proper studio. The ones on campus are kind of old and smelly,” Taeyeon said. “By the way how was it working with him? I’m sure it was simply unbearable,”

“Actually it wasn’t too bad, in fact he was quite serious the whole time. There’s something about music that changes his personality. I hate to admit it but he did a lot of the work for this project,” She replied.

“So did you get to talk to him about his past?” Taeyeon asked remembering the conversation from before.

Tiffany thought about what had happened with Jay and how he reacted. Thinking to herself it’s probably best to not tell Taeyeon the truth so she lied. “No I didn’t really have the chance to bring it up. I think I might just leave it if he wanted to remember than he already would have,” What she said wasn’t a complete lie but it wasn’t exactly the truth. She hoped Taeyeon would believe her.

“Ok I guess whatever. Ooh I’m so excited to hear all the songs in the showcase next week,” Taeyeon was jumping up and down in her spot. Tiffany was thankful she didn’t question further.

It was announced that as an extra component of the project all the students would be performing their songs in a showcase and would be given extra credit for how well they performed. Tiffany was quietly very happy about it since it meant she would be able to spend more time with Jay. She started smiling unconsciously and Taeyeon had noticed it flicking her in the forehead.

“Yah what was that for?” Tiffany said rubbing her forehead from the pain.

“What do you mean ‘yah’? You were staring off into space while smiling like an idiot what else was I supposed to do. I know you like him but you don’t have to think about him all the time,” Taeyeon teased.

“I don’t do that,” Tiffany said defending herself.

“Yeah. Yeah. Whatever you say. Speaking of the devil look who’s here?” Taeyeon was pointing towards the door where Jay had just walked in.

Jay glanced over at Tiffany smiling and waving his hand to say hello. Tiffany answered him with a quick smile after this exchange Jay promptly found his seat at the back. Taeyeon watched the whole thing in bewilderment.

“What the hell was that?” She blurted out. She covered , she didn’t think it was going to be so loud. The whole class looked in her direction, smiling in embarrassment she waved them away apologetically.

“What the hell was that before Fany?” This time she whispered.

“What?” Tiffany asked confused.

“Since when have you and Jaebeom been so friendly all of a sudden hmmm?” Taeyeon looked at her suspiciously. “Did something happen between the two of you?”

“No nothing happened. Don’t come to wild conclusions,” She replied.

“Call me crazy and others can vouch for me but everyone’s noticed that something has been different about Jaebeom since you came and it has been even more noticeable since you guys started working together for this project,” Taeyeon said.

“I don’t know what to say maybe he’s maturing?” Tiffany simply answered.

“I’ll believe you just this once but if I find out you’re lying to me Fany, you’re in trouble and you’ll have to suffer with the consequences,” Taeyeon replied.

Taeyeon wasn’t entirely satisfied with the answer but she decided to let it go. Tiffany sighed in relief, laying her head on her desk facing away from Taeyeon. Accidentally looking over at Jay who was already dozing off before the class had even begun. He looked like a little kid sleeping, she found it surprisingly cute. Tiffany felt her heartbeat quicken and she felt as though there were butterflies in her stomach. Yeah she had fallen for him again. She didn’t like to admit it back then but she did like him even if she treated him horribly. She was jealous that Jessica got all the attention when she wanted it on her. Sighing she turned away.


It was now after class and Jay was just hanging around the campus lying down on a patch of grass. He was trying to catch a quick nap in between classes, this was something he had become accustomed to but lately he noticed he would just daydream. Everything seemed to have changed since the start of the semester normally he would go out every weekend clubbing and picking up girls. He always had s around him or was at least flirting with him but now he didn’t see the need to. He tried reasoning that it was because he was working on the song but even when he worked on previous songs he would still go out. On top of that his friends had started noticing the change in his behaviour even questioning him.

“Nothing seems to interest me anymore. It’s like my mojo is off right now,” He said quietly to himself.

“YOH JAY,” He heard someone shout. Turning to the direction of the voice and finding Gray walking in his direction.

Sitting up from his position, waving Gray to come over and greeting each other. Gray promptly took a seat next to him.

“Sup man, where are Loco and Simon?” He asked.

“Not too sure I haven’t talked to them today. How have you been man? You haven’t been your usual self,” Gray asked somewhat concerned.

“What do you mean? I’m fine. You guys have been asking me that a lot recently I don’t know what you guys are on about,” He answered.

“Nothing it’s just your behaviour has been how should I say it. Not disgusting like I’ve you’ve been,” Gray replied.

Jay threw his head back and sighed. “Man shut the up. You of all people I expected to be happy about this but here you are acting concerned,”

“Not condoning you’re previous behaviour but as one of your best friends it’s a little concerning seeing such an abrupt change to your personality,” Gray said.

“Look I don’t know what to tell you. I couldn’t tell you what’s going on because I don’t know myself,” He answered shrugging.

“So you admit you’ve been acting different?” Gray questioned.

Jay made an audible sigh as he looked away to nothing in particular. Gray looked his friend over and decided not to push the matter any further.

“Well I’m really hungry right now, want to come grab a bite to eat?” Gray said getting up.

“Nah you go ahead man I’ll stay here for a bit longer see if I can catch some more sleep or something. See you later bro,” Jay said.

“Alright talk later man. See ya,” Gray replied walking off.

Back on his own Jay just observed his surroundings watching the stream of students walking to and from classes. He was well aware of the attention he got from the rest of his fellow student body especially the female population be that admiration or disgust from the other girls he’d hooked up and ditched. His reputation certainly preceded him here even if it wasn’t all positive. After a while he had learned to drown it all out choosing to only interact with people when he wanted to. Lying back down he shut his eyes to try and sleep a little more before.

“Don’t you think you’ve had enough sleep today?” It was Tiffany.

Jay opened his eyes getting up again looking at her. “Hey Fany what’s up?”

“Fany? Since when did you decide we were close enough for you to call me that?” Tiffany asked slightly surprised.

“Well I thought we were friends now and Sica used to call you that all the time. Sorry I’ll stop if you want,” Jay replied.

“Kidding Jay we are friends so that’s fine. You don’t need to take me so seriously,” Tiffany said smiling.

“Good because if you weren’t happy with that I could always call you Stephanie or Miyoung,” Jay said cheekily.

“Don’t you dare, I hated being called those names back then and you know it,” She said threatening to hit him.

Putting his hands up in defence. “Ok. Ok. I was only joking I don’t know why you get so upset when both are your real name. Besides Stephanie is a pretty name,”

“Wait what did you say?” Tiffany was kind of taken aback by the last statement.

“Nothing it’s just Stephanie is a pretty name don’t read too much into it,” Jay said. “So why did you come over and disturb my attempt of a nap anyway?”

“I don’t know I just felt like it,” She laughed.

“Guess you have no qualms about being seen with the biggest player on campus and the consequences that come with it,” He said using his hand panning the campus. Tiffany laughed while shaking her head. “Ok then,”

“Oh right there was actually a reason for me talking to you,” Tiffany suddenly remembered something.

“Shame I thought you just wanted to be in my glorious presence,” Jay said feigning disappointment.

“Shut up. You really are the same person as back then but this time you don’t look like a complete nerd,” She laughed while slapping him on the shoulder.

“Ugh don’t remind me about how I used to look. I hated how I looked back then and just thinking about it makes my spine shiver,” He shook his head. “So what was it you wanted to talk to me about?”

“Ah yeah I was just wondering what we were going to do for the showcase next week?” She asked.

“Oh about that. I don’t think we need to do anything extravagant I think just our vocals will be enough,” Jay replied. He hadn’t exactly thought too much about the performance and thought the song would be enough. “But if you wanted to do something extra we could add some choreography or something,”

“Well if you don’t mind, it’s just that it’s my first performance like this and I wanted to make it as good as it can be,” Tiffany said happily.

“You don’t need to worry about that Fany. If you sing anything like in the recording studio then everyone will be amazed,” He said encouragingly.

“Thanks but I’m feeling kind nervous about the whole thing,” Just as she said that her stomach growled. She blushed in embarrassment while Jay chuckled.

“And a little hungry as well I see. How about we go and get something to eat and we can iron out some more details about it?” He asked smiling while getting up.

“Sounds good at campus or somewhere else?”  Jay smiled extending his hand out for her to take.

“Did you really just suggest the food here on campus? What do you take me for? Anyway I know a great BBQ place 10 minutes from the campus,” His suggestion causing Tiffany’s stomach to growl again. “I’ll take that as a yes. Come on let’s go,”

Before any sign of protest could be made Jay had already grabbed Tiffany’s hand and started moving. Unbeknownst to Jay they had gotten the attention of other students who immediately started gossiping. Tiffany on the other hand had noticed it and looked down in embarrassment. Truthfully she didn’t mind so much that they were holding hands but the fact everyone was watching and talking about them was something she dreaded. She’s spent enough time at the university to know how quickly gossips spread and she knew that there would be some explaining to do the next time she sees Taeyeon. In no time they had reached Jay’s car.

Jay opened the door for her, she smiled at him and he nodded back. “Thanks,”

Jay got in and they were off.


Chapter 6 is finally done, sorry for the longer wait for this one. It was a combination of being busy with university and writer's block. Anyway hope you enjoy the update and comment please, anything is appreciated.