Ghost Hearts

Love Never Dies

    Seventeen was packed into two vans, on a hot August day. They were headed for a ghost town, and the boys were all chattering excitedly. Except for Soonyoung. The raven-haired boy was leaning against the window, earphones in. It had been a year since he started dating Ming Ming; a week since said boyfriend had returned to China permanently. Over the year, Soonyoung had ended up falling in love with Ming Ming, so his leaving had broken his heart. Seokmin watched his best friend and his heart ached. As much as he liked Ming Ming, he couldn’t help being really angry at the boy for hurting Soonyoung.

 

    Soonyoung turned his head, feeling eyes on him, and caught Seokmin staring. He didn’t speak, just leaned over and rested his head on Seokmin’s shoulder, curling his whole body against him. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. Seokmin sighed and resigned himself to being the best friend in kdramas who loved the main character, but had to watch them fall for someone else, then comfort them in their heartbreak. 

 

    The van stopped, cutting into Seokmin’s thoughts, and the boys scrambled out, anxious to move and walk around again. Soonyoung tore out like a human hurricane, completely forgetting about Seokmin in the excitement of seeing something new. Seokmin sighed again and followed more slowly. He had just set foot on the dusty ground when a wild Soonyoung glomped him. “Minnie! Thank you for holding me and comforting me. You’re my best friend!” Seokmin was hopeful for a moment there, but his heart sunk all the way to his toes. Soonyoung smiled widely and bounded away.

 

    Joshua ruffled his hair as he hopped out of the passenger seat. “At least… he still smiles. This is enough for me. I just… want him… to be happy. It’s enough.” Seokmin felt a little silly for talking to himself, but pushed it down, scuffing his boots in the dirt.

 

    Suddenly, someone back-hugged him. Seokmin recognized the big strong arms as Seungcheol’s. “You have a big heart, Seokmin. I’m proud of you. I know it hurts, but you’re doing a great job of keeping your head up.” Seungcheol shaded his eyes and watched the retreating backs of the escaping boys, Seventeen’s poor manager running around, trying to keep everyone together. “You know what? I have an idea. Ask a member to be your pretend boyfriend. See how Soonie reacts. Then you’ll know how he feels.”

 

    Seokmin stared up at his leader, flabbergasted. “Pretend boyfriend?! Hyung, are you insane? I can’t do that! Who would I fake-date anyway?”

 

    Seungcheol patted his head. “Insane enough to have joined Seventeen. I really believe it’ll work. And ask Wonwoo, I think he’ll do it.”

 

    “What will we tell Seventeen? I can’t say we randomly got together today.”

 

    “Tell us you have had a secret relationship for… hmm… 10 months. You two are just really good at hiding it and acting.”

 

    Seokmin gazed at him for a moment, then nodded slowly. “I see… I guess I’ll go talk to him now. Thanks, hyung!” Seungcheol rubbed his shoulder, then shoved him forward. Seokmin ran ahead, looking for Wonwoo. The tall, kinda-emo boy was standing with Doyoon, Jihoon, and Chan. “WONWOOOOOOO.” Seokmin flew towards the surprised boy. “Hyung, I need to talk to you. Privately. Please?” Wonwoo nodded and led him by the elbow towards a secluded corner of the town, in the shade. 

 

    “Ok, Wonwoo, this is sudden, but I have to ask you a major favor. I need you to be my pretend boyfriend. It’s really really important! Please, hyung!” Wonwoo stared at Seokmin incredulously, speechless. “I’ll explain. So, Seungcheol had this idea that if I fake-date a member, I can see how Soonyoung reacts. Thus, I will know how he feels for me. Please do this for me, hyung!”

 

    Wonwoo considered this for a moment, bit his lip, and nodded slowly. “I understand. I’ll help you, I’ll be your pretend boyfriend.” Seokmin squealed and threw his arms around Wonwoo’s neck. “But wait. What will we tell Seventeen, how long will this go on, and what do I have to do?”

 

    “Well, we just have to tell them that we have had a secret relationship for 10 months. I don’t know how long. You just have to act like a boyfriend, you know, PDA and stuff. Not too much, because we both are shy, but just enough to convince them.” Wonwoo nodded. “Ok! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I promise you won’t regret this!”

 

    Wonwoo smiled to himself as Seokmin pulled him back to Doyoon, Jihoon and Chan. By now, almost all of the members had gathered. Only Soonyoung was missing. Doyoon’s sharp eyes flicked straight to their joined hands. “Wonwoo, Seokmin. Do you have something to us?” For a moment, Seokmin’s stomach turned nervously. But then, he remembered that his bandmates had quickly accepted Soonyoung and Ming Ming, so there was no reason for them to not accept Wonwoo and Seokmin, right?

 

    Seokmin looked up at Wonwoo and smiled. Looking back down, he caught Seungcheol’s eye and received an encouraging smile. “Well, we figured it was time to tell you that-”

 

    “He’s my boyfriend.” Wonwoo interrupted, wrapping an arm around Seokmin’s waist and pulling him closer. The boys ‘oohed’ and the teasing started. 

 

    But Chan and Samuel were the loudest. “Hey hyungs, if you’re a couple, then prove it! Kiss!” The boys quickly picked up the chant. “Kiss, kiss, kiss…!” Seungcheol was the loudest, of course.

 

    Seokmin turned to Wonwoo, whose cheeks were turning pink. He poked them teasingly. “I guess we’ll have to. Come one, don’t be shy.” Wonwoo averted his eyes, but leaned in hesitatingly. Seokmin bounced up and met him halfway. Their first kiss was only a quick peck, but it was enough to convince Seventeen. Seokmin looked away, and his gaze alighted on… Soonyoung. Their eyes met, and Seokmin forced a smile. Soonyoung’s eyes betrayed nothing, and he smiled back. 

 

    Mingyu’s voice grabbed his attention, a few feet away. “So, how long have you hidden your relationship? How did we never have any idea?”

 

    Seokmin smirked, “About 10 months. And it’s not our fault you’re all so blind. Kidding, we are just really great actors.”

 

    Soonyoung pulled Seokmin aside as soon as possible. “Minnie, are you really in a relationship with Wonwoo? Why didn’t you ever tell me? Aren’t we best friends?”

 

    Seokmin gasped. “Of course we’re best friends, Soonie! It’s just that, well, we were having a hard time with our relationship, and we weren’t quite sure of ourselves, so we didn’t want to tell anyone. I’m sorry, hyung.” Soonyoung smiled gently and hugged Seokmin. He lightly patted Seokmin’s cheek and ran off after Junhui and Junghan. Seokmin really hoped that what he saw in Soonyoung’s eyes as he turned away was love for him.

 

    A pair of arms slid around his waist from behind. “Are you okay?” Seokmin nodded and leaned back against Wonwoo’s strong chest. He felt safe in Wonwoo’s arms, like the older boy would protect him from the world. He felt a soft kiss on his cheek, and his smile returned to his lips.

 

    He could get used to this.    

 

    Maybe this game wouldn’t be so hard after all.