Picnics and Heartbreak

Love Never Dies

    Seokmin stared about, turning a full circle to take it all in. He was surrounded by grass, grass, and more grass. Also wildflowers. And butterflies. And bees. Seokmin hated bees. But the butterflies were pretty. So it was okay.

 

    “It’s a MEADOW!!!” Soonyoung raced ahead of the group, arms spread as though he were soaring. Seokmin smiled to himself. How could Soonyoung be older than him. He definitely didn’t act like it.

 

    Seventeen was on a picnic, celebrating one year together. They hadn’t debuted yet, but that was alright. “Boys! Stay with the group!” That was Seungcheol, the unofficial leader, calling to the four boys running wild (Soonyoung, Chan, Seunggwan, and Mingyu). Chan and Mingyu jogged back. Seunggwan began to follow, but stopped and turned back. Soonyoung had disappeared. Seokmin hurried forward, worried. 

 

    His heart almost stopped when a sudden weight crashed onto his back, nearly knocking him to the ground. Arms s around his neck, and legs wrapped round his waist. All of this happened in a moment, the surprise of it causing Seokmin to squawk. 

 

    Seokmin recognized Soonyoung’s giggle amidst the other boys’ loud laughing. Before Soonyoung could slip off and escape, Seokmin spurted forward into the knee-high grass and started spinning in circles. He found himself enjoying how Soonyoung tightened his limbs around Seokmin and pressed his cheek against Seokmin’s neck. He continued to squeeze after Seokmin stopped, and for good reason. Seokmin dropped to the ground and rolled, squashing the smaller Soonyoung into the dirt.

 

    Once Seokmin was still, Soonyoung wiggled half-way onto him and lay there. His head rested on Seokmin’s chest, one hand on Seokmin’s opposite shoulder. Seokmin really hoped Soonyoung couldn’t hear his racing heartbeat. “Minnie, your heart… It’s so comforting.” Soonyoung peered up at him, his beautiful dark orbs searching Seokmin’s.

 

    Seokmin smiled his gummy smile down at him, and ran a hand through Soonyoung’s soft black hair. He held Soonyoung’s warm body close to his own, relishing in the private time they didn’t often have together. Seokmin opened his mouth to confess everything he had kept inside, how he felt about Soonyoung. Before he could, though, he was cut off. “Hey, you two. The rest of us are still here. There are children!” Seokmin hid an annoyed grimace as Soonyoung pushed himself to his feet. He followed behind the others, inspecting the flowers, ignoring the sympathetic looks from Junghan and Jisoo. He didn’t need their sympathy, he needed Soonyoung!

 

    Magically, Wonwoo and Junhui had already set up the blanket and picnic basket. Chan dived for it and turned a somersault in his excitement. Not too much later, the boys were in various places, some eating, some playing, Chan picking flowers, some just walking.

 

    Seokmin lay on his side, head pillowed on Jisoo’s stomach, watching Soonyoung playing frisbee.

 

*meanwhile*

 

    Ming Ming perched on a tree root, back against the trunk, watching a certain raven-haired hyung. Junhui was sprawled on the ground beside him, chattering away about who-knows-what. Ming Ming blocked him out, preferring instead to stare at Soonyoung. His thin, but strong body, sweet personality, 10:10 eyes. Ming Ming was entranced.

 

    “Hey, are you listening to me?” A smack in the chest caught Ming Ming’s attention. He coolly glanced at his friend, not bothering to answer. Junhui sighed in exasperation. “Just ask him out already. I’m 1000% done with you mooning over him like a lovesick cow.”

 

    Ming Ming’s relatively-emotionless look turned into an offended glare. “I am not a lovesick cow. Fine, if you’re so insistent, I will.” The cat-eyed Chinese boy pushed himself to his feet and stalked over to Soonyoung. He arrived there in time to catch the frisbee that flew over Soonyoung’s head, causing him to spin around, lose his balance, and fall onto Ming Ming’s chest. Before Soonyoung could speak or move away, Ming Ming caught his wrist, “Hyung, could I talk to you for a moment? Privately?” Soonyoung nodded innocently, and the pair walked off together.

 

    Ming Ming led them toward the stream, and, standing on the bank, he turned to face Soonyoung. “Hyung, I…” Soonyoung looked up at him curiously, waiting. “Hyung… Ireallylikeyou. Willyougooutithme?” Ming Ming blinked, surprised at the speed of his own Korean.

 

    Soonyoung averted his eyes. He spoke slowly, choosing his words carefully. “Well, Ming… I can’t say I return your feelings… But I’ll give you a chance.” Ming Ming smiled and squeezed Soonyoung’s small hand in his own.

 

*back to Seokmin*

 

    Seokmin stared at the new couple in shock. This couldn’t be happening right now. His heart was crushed. His hope and dream of ever being with Soonyoung crumbled. He pinched himself, snapping himself out of his daze. He gave Soonyoung a forced, rather half-hearted smile, before wandering off. He knew Jisoo was following him, but he didn’t react. He stopped beside the stream, unwittingly standing right where Ming Ming had confessed to Soonyoung. He turned back, facing the approaching Jisoo. He plastered a huge clown-like smile on his face. “Hey, Jisoo~ My man, my man!” He spoke the English Hansol had taught him, pretending his voice hadn’t just cracked.

 

    Jisoo took the hand Seokmin held out and pulled the younger boy to him. He held him close, but didn’t speak.

 

    Seokmin wished his hands weren’t trapped between them, so he could wipe the tears staining his cheeks.