Love Never Dies

Love Never Dies

    Soonyoung slowly shuffled out of his bedroom. One hand on the wall, the other tightly gripping his cane. Although he liked to believe otherwise, his body was tired, and his old bones were ready to give out. Nevertheless, at 96 years old, he was still going strong. A boy appeared at Soonyoung’s side. He was a little taller than Soonyoung’s shoulder. Gently, the boy took his grandfather’s arm and led him to his armchair. “Thank you, dear.” Soonyoung sank into the chair with a sigh. The boy, Taehwan, nodded and beamed at him, before scampering off to join his siblings in badgering their father. Soonyoung’s gaze turned to the little table next to him. Reaching over, he lifted the small picture sitting on it. He smiled fondly at the photo, brushing his thumb over it. It was a photo of his late husband, Seokmin. He had passed away four years ago, laying next to Soonyoung, their fingers intertwined. Seokmin’s hand rested on Soonyoung’s cheek, as they spoke of their golden years, when it was them against the world. 

 

    Nearby movement pulled Soonyoung from his thoughts. His daughter had brought him tea. Unlike her older brother and sister, she was unmarried. He thanked her and accepted the cup. She knelt beside him and placed her hand over his. “Don’t worry, Appa. He is waiting patiently to welcome you to his side again.”

 

    Soonyoung placed a kiss on her head. “Ah yes, Yujin, he is waiting for me. I will join him soon enough.” He chuckled. Seokmin was waiting, yes, but he would have to be patient. Soonyoung wasn’t planning on dying any time soon. Yujin smiled and rose to her feet, returning her father’s kiss to the forehead. As soon as she had left, Soonyoung’s youngest grandchild, a little 6-year-old girl named Jungmin, crawled into his lap.

 

    She stared into his eyes, as her siblings and cousins gathered behind her. “Grandfather, will you tell us a story?”

 

    Soonyoung grinned. They always wanted him to tell stories, about when he was a dancer in a band called Seventeen, and all of the adventures he had with his bandmates. But there was one they loved the most. “Of course, which one do you want to hear?”

 

    The children quickly seated themselves in front of him, as Jungmin chirped, “The one about when you met Grandfather Seokmin!”

 

    Soonyoung leaned back as he hummed to himself, thinking back to that one special day. “Let’s see… Well… Once upon a time, many, many years ago…”