Chapter 5

Waiting for You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae saw Hyukjae in a club after four days since the last time he saw him.

He has been thinking about when he’ll meet Hyukjae again ever since they came back from the ship that day. He wondered if he could convince Hyukjae to go back to the ship again with him, without Sungmin this time, since he’s still not satisfied with the way his fantasy got ruined by his best friend. (A/N: remember the fantasy of Donghae helping Hyukjae on to the boat from chapter 4?)

But he doesn’t have any excuse to go back to the ship. So he kept asking Siwon whether he has any more papers to sign. Even if Siwon clearly explained that Donghae finished all his work, that he has nothing to do in the ship, that he can truly enjoy his vacation without worries, Donghae was not satisfied. He kept pestering Siwon about his work to the core. But he stopped his calls to Siwon immediately when the latter asked “Yah Hae ah, don’t tell me you’ve fallen in love with me and can’t stand to stay away from me? As expected, no one can resist my face, is it my fault to be born like this? But my poor baby, I only love you as my friend Hae, I’m sorry to break your heart. I hope you can find happiness without me. I don’t want to see you cry because of me”

Donghae had a look of horror and disbelief when he heard those words from Siwon, he shouted “Why would I fall for someone who has no charms like you? Keep dreaming horse, and keep your drama to yourself” he hung up the phone the second he heard Siwon guffawing from the other line. He didn’t call Siwon even if the latter explained that he was only playing with him, still horrified that he might hear Siwon’s cheesy voice again, just thinking about it gives him goosebumps. Well atleast Siwon got his peace to continue his work without a child’s whining voice.  

Sure Donghae and Hyukjae kept in touch through phone, but it was mostly one-sided conversation from the former. Donghae would send him a long detailed, emotion filled, and most child-like text ever about his day. He even mentioned details that are considered stupid, like

“I’m not wearing socks today”

“Do you know? I killed an ant when it tried to steal my chocolate”

“I thought I switched on the light, but turned out it was the wrong switch”

“Mom made me eat all the vegetables today”

“The comb slipped my hand when I was brushing my hair”

Donghae only got simple replies respectively, like

“Oh, I see”

“Poor thing”

“Wrong switch eh?”

“Too bad”

“Clumsy”

Donghae didn’t know what to make out of Hyukjae’s replies. He wondered whether Hyukjae doesn’t like him sending endless texts. But the guy still sent him replies, almost immediately, without ignoring any one of his texts, as if he was waiting for Donghae’s message so that he can reply. He never once asked Donghae to stop disturbing him. Maybe the thin guy was too kind to rudely ask Donghae to back off. But for Donghae, it was a chance to make Hyukjae to warm up to him, to make himself familiar with him, to make Hyukjae think about Donghae as someone he knows like a friend, not just as Sungmin’s beat friend. So that he too can be a comfortable friend like how Sungmin was to Hyukjae. And so he started to ignore his mind that kept telling him to stop bombarding Hyukjae’s phone with messages, and listened to his heart that said to just go with it.  

Without knowing, he started to talk about even the basic natural things like “I am brushing my teeth”, “Gonna take bath”. He even went as far as telling Hyukjae about…hmmmm…well the other things that you do except for bathing and brushing in a bathroom. No wonder everyone says that he’s still a child, that he’s yet to grow up. He didn’t regret telling Hyukjae his daily activies in a bathroom when he received a text saying “Why are you telling me about those things?”.

This is the longest sentence Donghae ever received after the thank you message for taking him to the ship from Hyukjae the other day. But he did regretted it eventually, only because he knew he made the guy flustered, and wanted to see how his blushing face looked like so bad. He’s considering video calls so that he can directly see Hyukjae’s expressions without the need to imagining it. But video calls have to wait for now, cause ever since then, Hyukjae only sent two letters “oh” “hmm” instead of a complete word.

He guessed Hyukjae went back to his shy self again and only then he truly regretted the text he sent. Oh how he missed those complete words that Hyukjae texted to him as a reply, atleast it showed that Hyukjae cared about what Donghae has to say. With the way Hyukjae’s texting him now he doesn’t know whether Hyukjae even reads the message or not. He could only satisfy his heart by telling himself that atleast Hyukjae replies him back instead of ignoring him completely. He would never ever doubt whether Hyukjae wants him to back off if ever he receives a word from him as a text message again. He will never doubt Hyukjae’s sincerity or intention in his reply texts. He decided that the day he receives a word from Hyukjae will be the day he makes Hyukjae comfortable again. Suddenly life seemed so gloomy for Donghae. Oh his drama filled life. Sigh.

Donghae did thought about going to Hyukjae’s house, since it’s only few blocks away. But he doesn’t know what to expect from his sudden visit, how well will he be received by Hyukjae’s family, what if he causes Hyukjae trouble by showing up at his house unannounced. Moreover, he’s way far from Hyukjae to visit his house that comfortably. Just wait Hyukjae, I’ll never leave your house when I receive the status as your friend, Donghae thought with a smirk. But soon it faded when he received a text from Hyukjae, again with an “Oh”. When will that day come? He whined to no one in particular.

He couldn’t think of an excuse for asking his brother to arrange him a meeting with Hyukjae either. He was sure his brother, Donghwa, would immediately grab the opportunity to if ever he missed a beat and he would never hear the end of it. He’s not foolish enough to walk into his destruction with his own legs. Sungmin is totally out of choice, if his brother is his destruction, then Sungmin will be the mastermind to initiate most of the attacks he gets from his brother. They are great partners when it comes to irritating Donghae.

Donghae was getting frustrated as each day passed by. He knows he was overreacting, that it has been only four days since he last saw Hyukjae, that he’s being stupid and delusional. But he couldn’t help it. There was something about Hyukjae that he just couldn’t get away from. Every thought leads to Hyukjae no matter what. He doesn’t understand why he’s like that with a mere acquaintance, (now that he thought about it, he’s back to square one looking at how Hyukjae texts him now, he lost Hyukjae’s comfort towards him). It’s definitely only because of Hyukjae’s sadness. Yup. There’s nothing else, I only want to help him. Yes, that’s it. He continued to convince his heart.

He started practicing his facial expressions just like how Siwon would do in hopes of making Hyukjae smile again just like how Siwon did the next time he meets the thin guy. He was in the middle of practicing his “hot gaze” when the door suddenly opened revealing his brother. Donghwa looked at his brother incredulously.

“What wrong with your face?” he asked trying to not laugh at the way his brother blushed. Did I just earn another little detail to ? Donghwa was very happy with this piece of information,

“Nothing” Donghae immediately said, he knew he has to act fast otherwise he’s done for. “What with those cloths you are wearing hyung? Going somewhere?”

Donghwa decided to save his teasing for later. Right now he’s in a hurry and doesn’t have much time, hence

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter