0.9

Ephemeral Ecstasy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nine

The next two days passed all too quickly for Henry — at least V and Jungkook had some decency not to break into his apartment again — and he found himself scrambling to piece the clues together to see if he really was capable of being a double agent. His loyalty to Seokjin had not diminished, though that was probably the only thing that prevented him from running away screaming. Trust, however, was on a different level compared to just loyalty. He could either risk everything over one little drug and an evil plan to take over the entire city, or he could remain perfectly oblivious and act like the rest of Bangtan never existed.

Besides, it was his job to land the seven of them in jail, not work with them — the little dignity he had left was the pride he had for working for the greater good. (Or so he thought.) Henry had no idea what to do, and he was even more confused on what they would do to him if he refused to work as an inside man. He didn’t know a lot about a lot of things, and it just made him feel all the more in the dark as he made his way to work that morning. His gait was deliberately slow so that he would still make it in time, but barely.

“Henry, you’re walking so slowly,” a voice behind him lectured, as if he was a little kid. “Someone might have thought you wanted to ditch your mentor today.”

“I don’t need you stalking me Yoongi,” he replied rather cooly. “I can walk just as fast as I want, thank you very much.”

Though he was shorter than Henry by a good few inches, it didn’t stop a snarl coming out of Yoongi’s mouth. “We both know you’re out of time. The moment the both of you step out that door you make a choice. We can wipe your memories of us, or you can join us and actually make a difference in this damned world.”

“I know.”

“Think carefully,” the elder warned. “You could save yourself a lot of trouble and forget us — but this city will get the Delicium in your body sooner or later. The Government isn’t what you think.”

He rolled his eyes rather sarcastically. “I think I figured that out pretty well.”

 

Yoongi was gone by the time Henry made it to the front building. He shook his head in disgust as he realized he had disappeared so suddenly, but shoved the door open as if he never had the conversation.

And surprise, surprise, Chaerin was with Dara yet again — he wouldn’t have put it past them to coincidentally be in the same place as he. He ducked his head, but it didn’t stop the pair from approaching him, another woman in tow. “Morning Henry,” Chaerin said all too perkily. “You may remember Dara, but I want you to meet another member of my team.”

Henry of course, was having none of it and did his best to get as close to the elevator as possible so that he could bolt away at a second’s notice. “That’s nice,” he said neutrally. “Can’t stay long to chat, I really gotta — ”

“Just stay for a minute, it can’t hurt,” Dara said loftily, dragging him back by the wrist so forcefully that it was borderline painful. “This is another part of our team — sharpshooter extraordinaire Bom. You’ll meet Minzy some other time; she’s out of the country at the m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter