0.3

Ephemeral Ecstasy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three

Henry arrived the following morning bright and early as requested—he was beyond grateful that he wasn't late. The first thing Seokjin did was hand him a bulletproof vest along with a gun that only the senior officials at the Academy carried. "You're gonna need this if we're hunting down top-priority criminals," he told him solemnly.

"W-why was I assigned to this then?" he sputtered. "I haven't gotten any field training, any exp—"

He cut him off with a dismissive wave of his hand. "You know, for a guy that graduated from the Academy, top of his class, I'd expect more out of him."

Henry grew silent. Of course the head of the department would expect more out of him—it looked like everyone had high hopes for him—and he was determined not to let them down, especially when Seokjin was staring at him so intently. He nodded in agreement. "Yes sir."

"Alright, now put on that vest and we should be good to go. And don't you 'sir' me," Seokjin told him, pointing a finger at the bathroom. "Don't worry, I'll tell you all about the mission once we're out on the field."

"That's no way to treat a newbie," Henry muttered to himself as he shoved the door open with a grimace. He undid his shirt to put on the vest, being careful to not damage his metal arm in the process. When he had shoved the gun into its holster on the inside of his forearm, he gave himself a last good look at the mirror. A tight smile tugged at the ends of his lips as he studied himself, in all of his red-dyed bangs glory. It could be the last time he ever did this, looking into the mirror—he had no idea on whether he would live or not, which wasn't exactly the most comforting for his first day on the job.

He thought little of it and stepped back outside, where Seokjin was tapping his foot impatiently. "It's about time you got out here. For a minute, I thought you knocked yourself out in there."

"I'm here, at least."

"And yes you are here, Henry Min. I'm assuming you had at least some training from the Academy," the elder went on, now fiddling with some device that Henry recognized as a Relevans—something that could reveal the presence of someone in the area and served as a map. He assumed that it was being adjusted for the Bangtan Boys, though he doubted that it would do much help given what he knew about the elusive group. "That means I won't have to babysit you through everything." 

He caught the device with a slight fumble when Seokjin blindly tossed it at him. "Are we going now?"

"You got it," he replied, already making long strides down the hall to the elevator. From out the elevator stepped out Chaerin and an agent with the name tag Sandara—another prominent person in the industry, a top-of-the-line hacker and martial artist. 

"Good to see you again Henry," she nodded with the implication that it was not in fact, great to see him again—her lips were set in a grimace. "Dara here got a tip that Bangtan was down in the third district."

"How did you know we were going after them," Seokjin interrupted defensively, stepping in front of Henry—his view was blocked of the two women.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter