0.4

Ephemeral Ecstasy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Four

Six figures, each hooded were simply standing there intimidatingly—Henry couldn't help but regret splitting up with Seokjin, who probably was having a whale of a time rattling down drug sellers in the area. His first day, and it was just his luck that he had to run into six Class A criminals. Hastily, he turned off the still beeping Relevans, though it probably would do him no good. A pile of old boxes separated their line of vision, proving a good place to hide himself from plain view. Various noises and footsteps told him that the seventh had joined the group.

He was far too scared to even use the Communicator on his arm to call for Seokjin—he doubted that he would make it in time. The only thing he could do was listen in to whatever the seven were discussing.

"Government lackeys discovered our little hideaway here in Three," a deep voice was saying. "Sent Seokjin and some newbie to investigate here, I heard. Can't believe we were just Class B two weeks ago—looks like we got promoted."

"You got that right. We're going to have to move soon," another laughed humorlessly with a hint of bitterness. "I myself am getting a tad bored of this place."

Henry nearly fell over to hear the news on where exactly they would move next—it was the best thing to do when one couldn't confront the enemy.

Yet another voice spoke up, this one sounding a whole lot younger. "I hear something. Everyone shut up, could be them snooping around. Knew we should have gotten a more hidden hiding place."

Henry couldn't have even moved a muscle, even if he wanted to, him being rooted to the spot. If he were to be caught, they would at least take him captive and use some sort of memory-affecting drug—even your average citizen used those drugs at some point. The voices got closer as they argued on who would investigate on who—or what—was eavesdropping on them.

"Go on, Golden Maknae. You're the one that heard the noise," the first voice spoke up. "You're so suspicious; I bet it's just some old cyborg someone tossed out."

Whoever the 'Golden Maknae' was, he let out a small giggle and spoke in a voice that was laced with sarcasm. "Shut up, it could be Seokjin or the newbie."

The others burst out laughing, trying their best to shush each other to no avail. Henry couldn't understand why exactly they found it so funny, but he knew that it was now or never. He had to leave before he was seen.

His reflexes seemed to be slow that day, because he barely took a step before the Golden Maknae found him—he couldn't have been older than eighteen with his thin frame that the cloak attempted to cover. From the little that Henry could see, he had a pale face and wild eyes that flickered back and forth.

"Yo, looks like I found the newbie," he called triumphantly with a small quaver in his voice. The other six perked up, and in an instant they were upon him.

He couldn't have fought back even if he tried, with six guys wrestling him down on the ground and pinning his arms back behind him. A hand was clamped over his mouth to prevent him from crying out. The more he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter