Part 9

Forget Me

 

 

“So, where to now?” Chansung asked once they’re out of the coffee shop.

 

“Hhhhmm, should I make it a cliche taking you to a rooftop of some building and have this really simple and yet memorable dinner or just get it wherever,” the latter said, trying his luck with him being all alone with Chansung.

 

“Taecyeon, are we going on a date?” the bartender responded giving the other the eyes.

 

“Don’t you think it’s about time you call me hyung? You don’t even use -ssi at the end of mine and Jay’s name every time you call us. That’s not very polite of you,” Taecyeon pointed out, in a way trying to get even closer. Names are so western and seems a bit impersonal in Korea, whereas hyung makes it more personal.

 

“Taecyeon h-y-u-n-g?” Chansung cringed calling his potential crush like that - it felt weird and somewhat hierarchical.

 

“Hey be glad I don’t ask you to call me oppa.”

 

“Now, that’s just offensive. Do you take me as a girl or what?” the younger said expressionless.

 

“No … but that would definitely make it so much easier for everyone,” just like that, suddenly the atmosphere somehow dropped a little.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“If only I can be normal and be attracted to a girl like everyone else. If only I can meet a girl with your personality and kindness and warm smile, I would definitely be able to go for the other team - then my parents wouldn’t reject me.”

 

There was bitterness and great sorrow in Taecyeon’s voice which longed for his family. Stepping forward Chansung opened his arms and hugged Taecyeon, lightly the other’s back giving comfort.

 

“You are normal hyung. To me you are.” Chansung whispered to Taec’s ears.

 

“Let’s go on this cliched dinner of yours. Pick a rooftop - surprise me, but it better have an amazing view or else I’d be disappointed,” the younger suggested when releasing his hold on the other.

 

After making a few stops at a fast food restaurant and convenience store for many unhealthy snacks, Taecyeon dragged Chansung to a rooftop of an office building at the city center. How he managed to get them up without getting caught by security was beyond the younger’s wonders. He was just glad his hyung delivered. They were surrounded by the glow and brightness of the night lights that gleamed from the surrounding office buildings. It was just this great atmosphere, you can still hear cars driving by with the occasional honking here and there, sirens coming from ambulance or police cars, but Chansung thinks the silent sounds of the wind blowing balanced everything making it somewhat peaceful in the midst of this mad and chaos world.

 

“So what do you think?” Taecyeon asked watching Chansung in fascination.

 

“It’s amazing.”

 

“My sister and I used to go from one apartment building to the other looking for great rooftops to spoil,” the older reminiscents.

 

“You have a sister?” the younger asked curiously while making himself comfortable on top of convenience store catalogs that they’ve spread across the ground.

 

“I do. She’s older than me actually. It’s been so long since I called someone a Nuna.” Taecyeon chuckled thinking of the past.

 

“What was she like?” Curiosity got the best of the younger again

 

“She was such a cool person actually - that’s why she was so popular in high school. Whereas I was more of a geek, you know active in chess and math clubs.”

 

“Hahaha .. oh my gosh Taec, chess is fine but math’s club as well?” the younger shivered just thinking about numbers. He was never that great of a friend with numbers.

 

“What, numbers actually calms me down. And that’s hyung for you by the way.”

 

“Oops.”

 

“But under her wings I never got bullied. She always knows what to say or do when I’m down, be strict with me when I’m being spoiled - gave me my first alcohol. I idolized her.”

 

“Did she know about you?” Chansung began to ask carefully

 

“Maybe on some level she had a feeling about my uality even before I came out to my parents. That day my dad got so mad he flipped over our dining table causing his blood pressure to soar up. Before heading to bed he looked at me straight in the eyes and told me he had no son and that bringing me up was a waste of years of his life.”

 

Tears were beginning to peek from the edges of Taecyeon’s eyes threatening to fall out - everything ached, his heart, his head, his body, everything. Chansung stayed silent letting the older collect his thoughts together, waiting until Taec’s ready to continue.

 

“While cleaning dad’s mess mom kept mumbling why I couldn’t be like everyone else and be attracted to girls. She’d rather have me impregnate another girl than having a gay son. I thought the world of my parents - they were so loving and caring and humble, which I think is where my sister must’ve gotten hers from. But seeing as them being the kindest creature that I’ve ever known back then immediately rejected and despised me for my uality, I was sure that my sister would have the same reaction like they did as well. I got scared and waited until everyone was asleep before I packed my bags and left the house with little money I have left from my pocket money. My sister was at her friend’s house that night - but I was so afraid that she’d react the same that I didn't try to reach her and left. I couldn’t go to a friend’s house because then eventually I’d have to tell them the truth or if not hear it from someone else. I couldn’t risk or take any rejections anymore, so I just wandered around endlessly until I found a crappy job that paid like crap as well, but at least I’m earning something.”

 

“So how did you end up in Korea?” Chansung asked curious how all this led the other back to his home country.

 

“I once worked at a korean restaurant back in the states. Another one of my crappy job but the owner was nice enough to provide me a room there. Their house was just like a reincarnation of this country. Everything was just so korean, all I watched was k-drama, listened to k-pop, heard korean news until something drawed me to wanna come here. I guess I was just making sure that I got as far away as possible from my family and start a new life. So I worked endless hours, doing everything and everywhere so I could afford buying a plane ticket.”

 

“Jay told me he found you in a park sleeping on a bench.”

 

“Well I only saved enough for the plane ticket and little food I can buy. I was living on the street for about 3 weeks before Jay found me. And that’s Jay hyung to you,” the older reminded the other again.

 

“Right, Jay hyung, sorry. I guess this whole thing just needs a bit getting used to.” Chansung smiled sheepishly.

 

Suddenly everything went silent, only the sounds of cars driving by on the ground engulfing their ears. They were both in thoughts of their own, both digesting their conversation in their heads. Chansung always fell in wondrous awe whenever he listens to the older’s journey to where he is now and how much he’s already accomplished. A force in him wanted to reach out and hugged the other, and so he did, without hesitation the younger suddenly pulled his hyung into a warm hug, once again his back softly - soothingly. For a moment Taecyeon was surprised but soon made himself comfortable in the arms of his crush - he was always thankful that despite everything Chansung still wanted to form a bond with him, more importantly emotional bond.

 

“If you hug me like this all the time eventually I wouldn’t want to let go of your hands Chansung. What if I pulled you and kiss you?” Taecyeon mumbled jokingly but at the same time voicing out his heart's desire.

 

“Why don’t you then,” the younger responded without hesitation surprising Taecyeon.

 

“What?”

 

“Why don’t you kiss me?”

 

“Come again?” Taecyeon asked again making sure he heard the other correctly.

 

“Why don’t you try and kiss me again hyung?”

 

“I can kiss you?”

 

“I want you to kiss me.”

 

“Is this coming from a pity place?” Taecyeon asked beginning to understand that Chansung wanting to kiss him might not come from a place Taecyeon would’ve want the other to, which is pure desire.

 

“I don’t know. I’m still trying to figure that out myself - maybe. Would you be mad if it did?”

 

“No.” Taecyeon answered realizing himself that he doesn’t have the right to be mad himself when he’s luring another’s boyfriend to him for his own benefit.


Slowly Taecyeon reached out his hand and placed it on Chansung’s neck pulling the younger closer until their lips connected and both felt nothing but pure bliss.