Holding Out For A Hero

Killing Them Softly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Eunji was young, she had loved Lion King.

 

While the rest of her friends played at princesses, she would prance around on all fours and wailed the opening of Circle of Life. She had seen the movie many times, but her favourite part—besides all the musical scenes—was when the wildebeest herd chased after Simba and he had to be saved by Mufasa.

 

While this was followed by the heart-breaking scene of Mufasa’s death, she had loved the way Simba’s father had heroically jumped in and saved his son. It was no doubt one of the coolest moments in the movie… but she had never thought it was going to happen in real life.

 

For one thing, when would she ever be in a situation where she would be chased by a herd of animals? 

 

Zombies, she later learned, were nothing but humans that had regressed back to their primal instincts. In other words, they had turned to animals.

 

Desperate, starving, disgusting animals.

 

And there was a herd of them, smashing through the doors after Baekhyun and Chanyeol.

 

Eunji screamed. Or at least, inside her head she did.

 

She watched hopelessly as Chanyeol tried to take out as many zombies as he could, but unless he had a machine gun there was no point to it. There were just too many.

 

Baekhyun was waving and shouting frantically at her, but Eunji had no idea what he was trying to say. All she could hear were gunshots and the shrieking of the undead.

 

The logical part of her brain kicked in and she went into autopilot. She needed to start the car, yes, and be prepared to drive off as soon as Chanyeol and Baekhyun got in.

 

Only, she wasn’t sure if they were even going to make it to the car.

 

Fear for her newfound friends steeled her resolve. It was time for Eunji to play the hero.

 

She just hoped it doesn’t end as badly for her as it did for Mufasa.

 

.

 

Bang!

 

“Chanyeol, stop! All the noise is just getting them worked up!”

 

Bang!

 

“I’m sorry, am I not supposed to shoot at the things that are trying to eat us?!”

 

Bang!

 

“You’re wasting bullets! Just run! Get to the car!”

 

The second he spoke those word, the car that they had been running towards sped past them.

 

Wait.

 

“…what?”

 

CRASH!  

 

“Holy sh—”

 

Baekhyun turned just in time to see their black SUV crash beautifully into the zombies that had been chasing them. One flew from the bumper and landed god knows where…the rest were crushed underneath the tires. The persistent one—the one that had managed to avoid Chanyeol’s bullets—had smashed face-first into the windshield… where it promptly got its’ hair stuck in the wipers.

 

‘Note to self, never have long hair during the apocalypse.’ Baekhyun thought.

 

The passenger’s side of the door was opened, and they were met with Eunji sitting in the drivers’ seat with a crazed look in her eyes. Baekhyun had never been more in awe in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter