Get Lucky

Killing Them Softly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's Thursday, and Jung Eunji woke up to a zombie apocalypse.

 

It started when she rolled out of bed at 6.45 a.m. and went to the kitchen to turn on the news and make her morning coffee. A regular routine that she had maintained ever since she moved to her standard, three bedroom apartment in the heart of Seoul.

 

At 7.00 a.m. she emerged from the bathroom, after brushing her teeth and completing her morning skin care routine. She was at the stove, nursing a cup of coffee in one hand and stirring a pot of oatmeal with the other. The TV was on but muted. It was only a matter of time before she took a glance and was instantly shocked at what she was seeing.

 

The morning news was chaos. Literally, chaos.

 

The TV was switched to a live news channel where the reporter was mauling a random citizen on the streets. The reporter was the one she saw everyday; the middle-aged woman with always too much makeup and never enough decency to wear blouses that doesn't show off her cleavage.

 

And she was trying to claw someone's eyes out with her ugly french manicure. The footage was shaky; the cameraman was obviously scared out of his wits. A second later, the camera dropped to the ground and all Eunji could see next was a bunch of people's feet running with their screaming in the background.

 

Eunji spat out her coffee.

 

She changed through the channels rapidly looking for other news stations, but they were all broadcasting the same breaking news.

 

There is a zombie outbreak. Citizens are required to find any means necessary to defend and protect themselves until the government can get the situation under control.

 

It was surreal.

 

But what was even more unbelieavable, was the tapping she heard coming from the window in the living room.

 

'What the hell? I live on the fifth floor...'

 

It was her next door neighbour. The working mom and her annoying, bratty pre-teen daughter that always liked throwing random insults and criticism about her appearance and love life (or lack thereof) whenever she passed by her door. It was almost as if the girl waited for Eunji to come home from work everyday just for the purpose of ruining the rest of her day.

 

And there she was, standing on the ledge, looking frightened to death (she couldn't blame her) and tapping on her window desperately. For a split second, Eunji considered leaving her out there, just for a few more seconds, but she was never that cruel and heartless... even if the girl really do deserve it.

 

Carefully, she slid the window open and the girl fell in. She was wailing and mumbling gibberish the moment she was on solid ground again.

 

"What?" Eunji snapped, growing impatient. She loved children, she really do. But she swear that this girl was the only exception.

 

"My mother! My mother! Oh my god! You should've seen her! Oh god! Her eyes--"

 

Her arms were flailing everywhere, and she looked pale and nauseous.

 

"Are you okay?" She was only asking because she didn't want her to barf all over her grandmother's carpet.

 

"She was trying to eat me!"

 

What? Eunji stared at her in alarm. Who? Her mother? It was about time that the woman snapped and tried to attack her ungrateful daughter, but to try and eat her? That's a little overkilling it.

 

"What are you saying?" she demanded, grabbing the girl's forearms and forcing her to keep still and calm down.

 

"She was bitten!" The girl screeched right into her face.

 

"Who?!"

 

"My mother!" She screamed frustratedly, looking at Eunji as if she was an idiot. This girl... to think she had just saved her from falling to her doom.

 

"Your mother tried to eat you and then she was bitten?" She was trying to make sense of this bizzare situation but it just wasn't registering in her head.

 

"No. My mother was bitten and then she tried to eat me! She's turned into one them!"

 

"Who?" Eunji growled, tired of her not getting to the point.

 

"Them! The undead! ZOMBIES!"

 

A loud bang at her door made the girl scream and rip away from Eunji's grasp. She dived under the coffee table, shivering and sobbing before Eunji could stop her.

 

"It's them! THEY'VE COME TO GET US!"

 

"Shut up!" Eunji barked, although the drumming of her heart was as loud as the banging on her door. There was an umbrella perched against her shoe rack, and Eunji grabbed that for defense.

 

The banging on the door came again. She peeked cautiously through the keyhole.

 

And nearly fell back on her at what she saw.

 

Eunji exclaimed in horror, "Oh fu--"

 

"DON'T OPEN IT!" The girl screamed from the underneath the table. She had curled herself into a ball, hugging a wad of rolled up newspaper, as if that could harm anybody.

 

"I know that!" Eunji yelled back, now seriously beginning to panic. She dropped the umbrella on the floor and stumbled backwards, away from the door and back into the kitchen.

 

She immediately went for the knives.

 

The banging on the door coupled with the occassional groans and cries, was enough to drive anyone up the wall. Eunji yanked a drawer open and scanned through her collection of knives; the most obvious choice was of course, the butcher knife--the biggest knife in her arsenal.

 

The banging on the door was getting louder and louder, her door was rattling so much that she doesn't know how much longer it could hold. When her door hinges was finally busted open, Eunji didn't so much as take a good at the zombie before grabbing the pot of boiling oatmeal on the stove and flinging it's contents at it's face.

 

The lump of oatmeal landed on the undead's face with a loud splat.

 

The girl under the table watched with a mixture of disgust and curiosity, "What's that suppose to do? Are you hoping it's allergic to the oatmeal?!"

 

"I don't know!" Eunji groaned, now feeling like a dummy. She doesn't know a single thing about zombies, except that you kill it by shooting or cutting off its head. Bomi would know more, that's for sure. The girl loves zombie movies.

 

Bet she isn't loving it so much now. Man, Eunji hoped she was okay.

 

The butcher's knife was forgotten when she remembered that she had a fire extiguisher lying around somewhere. Surely, that was a better weapon than the knife, since the only thing she knew what to do with it was to chop fish and meat.

 

She got the extinguisher out from her closet, pulling out the pin and unmercilessly spraying th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter