Somebody That I Used To Know

Killing Them Softly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunji had never been so happy by the sight of gravel and concrete, for they had finally managed to make their out of the forestry and into open road. Her companions had drawn their weapons out while they surveyed the scene quietly—abandoned cars, some still running, while some had crashed into street posts or traffic lights and were producing smoke. Eunji steered clear of those vehicles in case they decided to burst into flames.

 

It was obvious she didn't know much about cars. She never did learn to drive.

 

No one—living or dead, was in sight, and that was a tremendous relief because she didn't know if she could handle another encounter with them so soon.

 

Baekhyun was inspecting the cars, if she would guess, he was trying to choose one most equipped to handle a zombie attack.

 

Eunji lingered back, a little unsure what to do. She took a step back, and was startled when she accidentally stepped on someone's shoe.

 

"Ow," Chanyeol mocked a painful grimance, even though she had barely stepped on him.

 

"Sorry! You scared me."

 

"Can't blame you for being jumpy." Chanyeol smiled, "...how are you holding up?"

 

"Trekking through a forest while carrying all this stuff... I'm having the best time of my life!" The sarcasm wasn't lost on anyone.

 

"It wasn't a forest," he laughed, "And haven't you ever been camping?"

 

Eunji winced at the very word. "Oh, no, I might have not grown up in the magnificent city of Seoul, but I'm hardly a girl scout."

 

"Oh? Where are you from originally?"

 

"Busan. And no, don't ask me about my satoori." Eunji warned playfully.

 

"I wasn't going to." Chanyeol said, all wide-eyed innocence that couldn't appear more fake.

 

"Hey! Lovebirds!" Baekhyun waved to catch their attention. "We're sort of on a schedule here, so if you could be so kind..."

 

He gestured to... something around him. Eunji was confused but Chanyeol seemed to know what to do. He rolled his eyes and offered her a hand, "Come on, before he works himself up to a fit."

 

"Really? Baekhyun? He seems like an easygoing guy." Eunji joked, taking his hand and ignoring how perfect they fit together.

 

"He's better now, but he used to drive people nuts." Chanyeol led her to one of the abandoned cars, checking the doors to see if they're locked. They weren't.

 

"How so?" Eunji asked distractedly, watching him inspect the car.

 

"Oh, he used to be so chatty. Can't ever shut up. Used to drive us all crazy... still do, sometimes." Chanyeol shared.

 

He was rummaging through the glove compartment before Eunji finally asked, "Um, what are we doing?"

 

"Raiding for supplies," Chanyeol answered easily and without pause. "You can check the other cars. Take whatever that you think would be useful."

 

He popped open the trunk and practicaly dived inside.

 

Eunji was struck by an irrational sense of justice. This must be stealing, right? True, the car had been abandoned but... it's still a crime, isn't it?!

 

She was being silly, she knew the apocalypse changes everything. It had blurred the lines between what's considered acceptable and what's considered as a crime... but if everyone were to suddenly abandon their laws and their moral conscience, the whole world would be plunged into further chaos. Into anarchy! If the zombies wouldn't destroy the world--all the living humans left would. 

 

It wouldn't even be too much of a push. The sins were already hiding there, in the shadows. Just waiting for one wrong move. 

 

First, it would be thievery. What's next?

 

? Murder? ... Suicide? 

 

Eunji shuddered at the thought of humanity losing hope, of giving up. Of finding no cure. 

 

"You're thinking too much."

 

Eunji nearly jumped out of her skin when Baekhyun suddenly appeared beside her and said what was exactly on her mind.

 

"No I'm not." She graced him with a tremulous smile, but it didn't convinced him in the slightest.

 

"Come on." He led her to another car before she could even voiced a protest. Unlike Chanyeol, he didn't offer his hand. He had grabbed her by the elbow but his grip was much gentler than the strong and fi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter