Back

Welcome Back Idiot

With a loud pop Moon Byul Yi tried to stretch her shoulders and back muscles, failing to find a more comfortable position on her seat. Looking out the window she noticed plane was getting closer and closer to the building jungle that was Seoul. A smile formed on her lips as her mind drifted back to a time when this city had been her home and fortress of solitude. 

After almost two years in London working hard on her music and herself she was finally coming back home. A soft snore at her side made her look at her friends. They were all coming home. All of them were deeply asleep except the little pet of the group Jackson. The whole thing had been possible thanks to him. She had only said that they should all run away as a joke, but he made it really happen. That night at ZICO’s place the idea had come to them in a drunken flash, but not 24 hours later the 6 of them were on a plane to Europe. She tried to not laugh too loud when Jackson started taking selfies with an open mouth sleeping Amber. Those two had always been close but the years living together had brought them all closer and closer to the point they were family to each other. The fact that those two were now sporting the same haircut and their personalities matched had made them the baby twins of their strange group.

"Ladies and gentleman, I'm glad to inform you that we will be landing in Seoul shortly. Thank you for flying wit us and we hope ou enjoy your stay" the crack of the intercom woke up the group, well, most of them. Hani could seriously sleep through everything. 

Among the mix of groans and mumbles that they all released waking up Byul was able to signal Amber to exchange sits. With a smirk she flopped down next to Hani and took out the pen she had been using, drawing pretty and styliced French moustache on her best friend. Finally on the ground everyone had to exercise extreme autocontrol to not give away the joke. Hani obviously was more concerned with getting some food than why her friends would look at her and chuckle.

"It's kinda weird to be back don't you guys think...?" Asked Jackson fixing his cap so it would cover his eyes as they approached the arrival’s gate.

"I just want to get home and sleep...that damn plane left me sore all over." ZICO whined as he leaned on Moonbyul resting his whole weight on her.

"First of all, that's what she said,” Moonbyul smirked as she pushed the rapper off her "and get off me! You are heavier th-" her words were cut short as they walked through the gate, thousand of flashes blinding them.

"AMBER! Why did you guys leave?!" /"Are you back for good?!"/"Is it true you left because you wanted to form a company by yourselves?"/"Will you release new music?"

Well crap... They all thought at the same time standing frozen in place as they took in the amount of press and fans waiting for them on the airport.

They hadn't told anyone that they were coming back today. Heck no one even knew they were leaving the U.K. After a few seconds of shock they all went on idol mode quickly putting on caps, sunglasses and facemasks.

They managed to squeeze past the mass of people thanks to the airport security. Moonbyul walked first, directing the group outside and smirking when she recognised the symbol on two black SUV’s parked right outside. Tugging on Amber and Hani’s hand, the girls made their way to the vehicle. Throwing her bags on the boot Moonbyul was quick to launch herself inside and into one of the seats, Amber and Hani soon followed while the guys took the other car. 

"How did they know we were coming back?" Amber asked throwing her cap to the floor in anger. She and Hani started going through every single person that could know about them, crossing out suspects. 

“If everyone know’s we are here what do you say we start giving them some teasers?” Hani asked tugging Byul closer by the hand so they could all take a selfie.

The plan changed however when Hani turned the camera and noticed the moustache drawn on her face.

“Did you do this?!?! What if they caught it on camera! You are dead” she squealed, launching herself on top of Amber and hitting her with anything she could find on the car.

With a chuckle at her two friends Moonbyul leaned back into her seat and looked down at her watch. If google had made the calculations right they still had about 2 hours until they arrived at the building. Deciding on a nap she plugged in her headphones, relaxing to the beat of a bossa nova she had been working on.

The thought of creating a new company seemed so far fetched two years ago but after working their asses off they had managed to do it. After her CEO passed away in a car accident, MAMAMOO had not been able to make their talent shine because of the continuous changes in management and at the head of the company. The new CEO that had been elected squeezed their energy until they were literally unable to perform. Wheein had to be taken to the hospital once because of exhaustion and Hwasa had been forced to loose weight in unhealthy ways to fit better the idol image the new management had in mind.

Even after the disaperance of RBW the group stayed together. They moved back to their smaller units and started working at small venues and opening for other groups. Then it all went to hell and she run away. Making a face Moonbyul closed her eyes as she tried to remember the info she had been able to obtain from the press about her best friends. Well, the girls that used to her best friends. God knows what they are now.

Even if she herself had kept away from the press and social media, Byul was able to track what her friends had been up to. Thank god for the Internet, netizens and their ability to track down people better than any professional detective would. Wheein finally opened her own dance studio and worked with some big companies from time to time to choreograph their idols. Hwasa had been jumping from job to job until she opened a small bar on the establishment next door to Wheein’s ground floor Dance Studio.

Then there was Solar...her Yongsun. Technically she had never been hers, but that wouldn't stop her from dreaming. It didn't matter how hard Moonbyul worked on trying to forget her, or what she told her friends...Yongsun was still the reason she could write and sing.

The rapper and the leader hadn’t exactly hit it off when they first met all those years ago. But as the leader and the choreographer they started spending more and more time together. After many nights at the company Moonbyul’s trust in the older girl grew enough for her walls to fall, her quirky side showing when they were together. The problem began when Moonbyul started growing fonder of the older girl. And definitely not in a platonic way. The skinship that only manifested it self when she was nervous was on full force whenever Yongsun was around. She had tried to stay away. She really had tried. But every time she tried to pushe away the singer pulled Byul closer, almost as if she had her own gravity force just for the rapper. When Yongsun smiled at her the whole room light up and Moonbyul had to try not to melt into a puddle. Just the thought of those deep chocolate brown orbs brought a smile to her face. 

"She's doingt it again."

"You think she realises everyone knows she's still in love?"

"Part of me thinks she just accepted it and prefers to live in her mind that’s why she gets lost in her own head all the time."

Byul whipped her face around and fixed her friends with a powerful glare, making the other two to turn around and face the front in a rush knocking their heads against the other. Amber took out her phone and reached over the front seat to plug in her music, blasting the beats as loud as possible. Seeing her friends fool around Byul broke into a grin and took off her own music to sing along to Girl Generation’s latest hit. Being away from Korea didn't mean they couldn't keep up with the music. 

Soon after the car stopped in front of a tall building. The guys were already on the street waiting for them, staring up to their dreams in physical form. GreySky Entertaiment. They took their time to take in the building and the fact they had made it. After a good 20 minutes where they hugged and just tried not to tear up Byul took the first step into the building. It smelled like paint and new furniture. Right in the entrace they had posters of everyone involved with the new company, both in the management and groups that would collaborate. MAMAMOO’s bigger than the rest and right in the middle of the wall. Obviously a mistake, it’s not like Byul would have done that on purpose. Through emails and 3rd parties Byul had asked her ex members for help, receiving quick and positive answer from all of them. Now just a week away from the official presentation of the company, it’s groups and solo artists, Byul couldn't  fight back her tears. They had finally made it. 

Hours later the rest had left to go meet their families and members. While JYP had been on board almost instantly witht the idea and had let his artists participate on anything GreySky required SM had been a long process. The music giant had finally signed after they agreed that they would always come first, and every work that their artists decided to do for GreySky had to be approved. It wasn't much but more than enough. 

She had spent the whole day walking around the 8 stories tall building, familiriarising herself with every corner and space in the offices. She let herself absorb the different office spaces, her fingers caressing the name plates they had made for every employee. When GreySky started they all had one thing in mind, if it did work out it would be a company of the people. No one would be oo small or no job would be considered unimportant. From the reception to the CEO, every single person had worked hard to create this dream and very soon they would be able to see it alive. Walking up the stairs to the roof Byul couldn't help but smile brightly opening her arms and taking a deep breath. The city however had other ideas and a coughing fit took over her as the pollution invaded her lungs.

“Yaah…It buuurns!” she screamed wrapping a hand around her neck. So much for home sweet home. This city wanted to kill her on her first day back.

Not even that could erase the smile off her face as she looked down to her wrist, her eyes glassing over when her thumb moved over the ink. As she looked up at the setting sun she made up her mind and gathered the little strength she had left after a long travelling day. She ran the whole way to the garage downstairs and quickly her GPS to BDS. BDS being Beagle Dance Studio. Wheein was extremely proud of the name.

Finding a parking spot close enough she got out and started fidgeting with her denim button up. Aparently all the confidence she had been building up for two years had stayed behind in London. She wasn’t even inside the building when she heard a loud laugh that definitely belonged to the ’95 line. Shaking her head she pushed her way into the building following the noise.

I’ve missed these two… Christ Moon Byul´yi calm down. All right, how the heck am I supposed to talk to them now…I now, ‘Hey! Remember me? I’m the coward that run away when things turned ugly’. Nah.

Her feet took her right to the room from where they loud music came. Byul took a deep final breath before pushing the door open. Hwasa was laying on the floor laughing hard as Wheein danced to some catchy top 40 tune like a fool.

“Right!? I told you this song was awful. I mean I’ve had to work with worse, these kids at least try to learn the steps without whinning 24/7 but still… Please next time  the studio gets an offer from this company remind me to refuse it…” The excited blonde explained as she made overly ual moves.

“We need to pay rent pup. So we have two options, you dance and choreo songs like that. Or two, we sell your organs.” Hwasa said receiving a very offended expression from her best friend.

Moonbyul couldn't help a chuckle at Hwasa’s words, unfortunately loud enough to get the younger girls attention. Good job Byuldork. Not only you disappear for 2 years but when you meet again you look like a creep spying on them. She gave the maknaes a toothy grin and an awkward wave that she knew did reach her eyes. Her hand shot up to her neck scratching it nervously when the other two just looked at her frozen in their spot.

“Hey, long time no see.” She said lamely.

Soon two pairs of arms were tight around her. Looking down she found the girls hugging her with their faces buried on each side of her neck. Smiling softly she went to wrap her arms around their shoulders.  

SMACK!!

Byul whipped a hand up to her now red cheek, falling open in shock.

“That’s for leaving without saying goodbye.” Hwasa said as she had pulled away from the older girls embrace. Byul let out a slow breath pulling her back into her arms as she saw the hurt hiding on the singer’s eyes.

“I’m sorry. I really am. Please know I missed you both terribly. But I couldn’t stay here. And what started as a quick vacation just expended”.

“You could’ve said goodbye.” Wheein finally said when they all sparated, her eyes big and teary.

“I would’ve stayed. You know I can’t say no to you and that adorable smile.” she said tapping the other girls chin.

“Yaaaah! Two years and as greasy as ever” The youngest of the three said shaking her head, making the other laugh hard.

They decided to catch up in Hwasa’s bar, sitting comfortably in one of the booths on the back as they share a couple beers. They talked about how hard it had been the first few months BDS was open. How they got attention after Wheein choreographed with Seulgi in her first solo album. How Hwasa had once worked at an office building and quit after just a week because her boss was pushing them too hard. Or how her new orange hair had started as bet between the Jeonju girls.

“She didn't think I would dare to put some of our old choreo moves in the dances for a new upcoming girl group from SM.” Wheein smirked as she looked with pride at her best friend. Since when can Wheein smirk.  “So, Unnie., are you gonna tell us anything about London?”

“It’s always grey. People only care about their own lives. Coffee is incredibly bad and expensive unless you know where to look…and it rains a lot.”

“Hilarious. No seriously, what happened there? You don’t have to tell us everything…just we really worried Byul-unnie.”

“Let’s see…we all lived together, at first it was to save money but we decided against moving away because of how much we were bonding. We worked at a nearby pub from time to time with live covers…Eddy-oppa will be our new CEO, we wrote enough songs for a couple full length albums… nothing too exciting really.” she said as she sipped on her glass.

“Eddy? As in Eddy Kim?” Wheein choked into her drink while Hwasa patted her back.

“Huh? Yeah ” Byul nodded. Truth be told since Eddy had moved in with them he had stopped being an idol she adored and admired, transforming in something closer to a big brother. They were friends before leaving Korea, but something about knowing each other’s hangover faces and sharing a bathroom definitely brings people closer. “He’ll be our CEO since I can’t really be part of the group and your boss at the same time now can I?”

The hours kept going by but the three friends couldn't get enough of being reunited. After so long it felt good to be able to relax and enjoy live in Seoul. Byul looked up from her glass cracking a smile at the sight before her. Wheein was trying to get another drink while Hwasa kept blocking her away from the bar. With a groan and some nasty but loving words Hwasa let her get to the alcohol walking back to the table where Byul was.

“You’ll see tomorrow. She’s going to yell at me for having a hangover in class and I won’t feel even a tiny little bit sorry for her.” She glared at her best friend as the half puppy half girl came back to the table sticking her tongue out. “Real mature Wheein, real mature.”

A silence took over the room. But instead of being awkward as Byul feared it felt natural, all of them contempt with being able to just take in the feel of being together once more. But then again Wheein was never one for silence.

“Where are you staying? We could surely let you crash on the sofa for a while…it’s not the best but at least you’ll have a place until you get your own unit.”

“It’s not necessary but thank you Wheepup. I’m staying at the flat the company building has. But I do think we should spend as much time together as we can. These two years apart have changed us all for sure and we’ll have to rebuild the chemistry and interactions. Either that or we both GreySky and Mamamoo are dead.” Moonbyul said with a nod to her friend “But again, thank you for the offer. You guys still live at the apartments we had or you moved somewhere else?”

“We both moved into Hwasa’s unit cause the view was better, plus you remember how your unit and mine were slightly smaller, then there’s…” Wheein stopped talking unsure of what to say next, her eyes flying to Hwasa, thankful that she wasn’t too drunk to have said something she would regret.

“You can say her name you know? But Yo-Solar what?”

“She moved” Hwasa cut in quickly “Yeah she just changed units. Apparently her neighbour was loud and she couldn't sleep properly.”

Byul could only nod, flashes of brown eyes smiling at her while she cooked or a small ball of Yongsun shivering in the cold of her sofa cause she didn’t want to sleep on her own unit. Or hearing Yongsun enter her unit after one of her solo schedules with a Honey, I’m home. Of course Solar had thought it was just a joke, but those moments made Moonbyul’s heart ache with longing.

“Well I think I should get going. I still need to unpack and tomorrow we have a meeting with the guy in charge of the venue will use for the presentation concert. By the way, you are all getting a special booth just for you.”

Giving the other girls a quick hug and promising to visit the studio the next day to see them both in action, Byul hurried back to the black SUV. Back inside the bar Wheein couldn't take her eyes of the retreating form of Byul while Hwasa busied herself cleaning up.

“Do you think we should’ve told her?” Wheein let out in a voice so soft Hwasa almost didn’t hear her.

“She’ll find out soon enough. After what she’s put us through she’ll survive waiting a bit more.”

AN: Hey there! ok so we have the first chpt up! I'll try to have one edited every couple days, depending on how much work I have at uni. Have a nice day! Thanks for reading and the comments!