Welcome

Spring Love

Sehun walks around the hospital, his first procedure in the hospital is actually done after arguing with a female doctor in the ER. He just gets back from Massachusetts after received a love call from his own home country to work in the most prestigious hospital, Severance Private Hospital.

“Long time no see?” the director of the hospital which is also his old senior back in Yale greets him, “Minseok-hyung, long times no see.” Sehun smiled and pound-hugs him. “So, what do you think?” Minseok asks him as they walks around the hospital, “This is just amazing, hyung. I’ve heard about this hospital before, why didn’t you tell me that you’re working here all these times? I should have just applied to this hospital after I graduated.” Sehun says as they walked down the escalator.

“Well, you got accepted to MGH right after you started your residency. That’s huge, bro. I can’t keep you here in Korea when you have world-class skill.” Minseok says while laughing. “I love it here, thanks hyung.” Sehun says, “Anytime. Have you met anyone in particular?” Minseok asks him again. “A female doctor in the ER? I think she’s a general surgeon,” Sehun answers, “Oh, do you mean Kim Jiyoung?” Minseok stops his track for a bit before continues walking again. “Kim Jiyoung?” Minseok nods.

“Yeah, she’s the only female general surgeon among four general surgeons in this hospital. A valedictorian from Whimoon Junior High School and also Trinity School, Manhattan. Graduated from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine for her undergraduate degree and then Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons for her post-graduate degree. All as a valedictorian and she spent three years in JH Hospital, I don’t know why a world-class general surgeon gives up her position in the most prestigious biomedical research hospital such as Johns Hopkins to come back to Korea.” Minseok shrugged.

“So she’s new or …?” Sehun asks him again, “Well, she was here a year after I entered this hospital. She came with a male doctor, Byun Baekhyun. Both are general surgeons and graduated in the same undergraduate and post-graduate school. Jiyoung is a valedictorian and Baekhyun is the salutatorian. It’s like they’ve been stick up to each other.” Minseok says again. “They’re a couple?” Sehun looks at the older doctor. “No, Baekhyun already has a wife, a public accountant. They’re best friends and I could tell he knows everything about her.  Among the general surgeons in this hospital, they’re two are the only people who was asked to treat the presidents and important people. VIPs are searching for them.” Minseok laughs.

“I should learn a lot from them, then.” Sehun says again.

---

“Jiyoung, Kim Jiyoung.” Jiyoung says and just smiles at him.

“So, you’re a Yale?” Baekhyun asks him as he takes him to sits with him on the sofa, “Yeah, I’ve heard about the two of your too. You guys are great,” Sehun says. “Nah, don’t praise him like that, he’s going to fly across the room and ghosting you.” Jiyoung laughs with Baekhyun, “Nah, she’s kidding. Did you play for Bulldogs?” Baekhyun asks and Sehun nods. “Bulldogs’ shooting guard here,” Sehun says. “Lion’s point guard’s here. Gosh, I already love you, dude.” Baekhyun says and they both laughing together.

“Boys, it’s not going to be college all over again right?” Jiyoung looks at them with weird expression, “Do you mind to stop looking at us like that?” Baekhyun complains and she just let out a laugh. “See you later,” she walks to the door.

“Oh, by the way. Welcome, Dr.Oh Sehun.” she says and leaves the room.

---

Sehun could notices that Jiyoung is really a great doctor. He finds her walking around the patients’ ward after their night shift over. She’s strong and determinant, she’s just perfect. Or he thinks so.

“What happen? What’s with the MASCAL code on?” Sehun ran to the ER after the MASCAL was and all of the doctors on-call are being gathered in the ER.

“Okay, I’m going to be in this area for the whole hours since we have a traffic collision right on Yanghwa Bridge. We’re going to take all the patients, I need everyone to stand by and be ready, seven ambulances are already heading here. Because half of our ER staffs are heading to the location, I need your eyes and brains now. And remember what?” Jiyoung says loudly.

“Machines don’t diagnose patients, we do.” everyone says the same thing at the same time, Sehun thinks it was kind of their motto here.

“Okay, let’s get to work people!” Jiyoung claps her hands.

---

“Female, 45, broken legs and hips. She was thrown out from her car after being collided to the car right in front of her.” the ambulances started to coming in.

“Bring her to trauma three! Come on!” Baekhyun said and goes out to find the other ambulances.

“A seven years old boy, the son of the earlier patient. Hard of breathing and suffered broken left arm.” Jiyoung quickly go to the boy, “Where’s my mommy?” he asks Jiyoung. “She’s inside, now I need to take you inside and treat you so you can see your mom. Now sweety, do you have an asthma?” the little boy nods and suddenly stopped breathing.

“He’s turning blue! Get him to trauma one!” Jiyoung says and takes the boy with her.

Sehun is treating a patient with cardiac attack because of the accident when he could see people gathering around the center stage. “He has no pulse!” one of the nurses says, “Someone get me a tube!” Jiyoung yells while trying to saving the boy.

“We should do a tracheotomy now, people!” Jiyoung says and a lot of surgical attendant and nurses working along.

Suddenly Sehun’s patient also got into a critical condition, “He’s having a flatline! I need a Epinephrine now!” Sehun said while doing the CPR. “No pulse, doc.” one of the nurse says, “Okay, give me that.” Sehun take an ampule from the nurse and in a couple minute the patient’s heart rate went back to normal.

“Okay, baby boy, you’re going to survive. You’re going to survive, don’t worry.” Jiyoung whispers to the young boy while treating him, Baekhyun who’s treating a patient right next to her takes a glance at her. “Come on….. Come on …..” Jiyoung says and the boy finally could breathe normally.

“She is a great one,” Sehun whispers to himself.

---