Fatal

Spring Love

“Good morning~” Baekhyun enters the doctors’ lounge and found Jiyoung and Sehun there, “You two are early birds or slept in the on-call room?” he asks the two. “I choose the second one,” Sehun says while munching his bread, “Me too,” Jiyoung says while playing with her phone. “Well-well, nothing happened while I’m away, right?” Baekhyun takes a sit in their table, “I kind of overuse my wrist again, nothing much.” Jiyoung says.

“What? ‘Kind of’? What kind of sentence is that? Are you alright?” Baekhyun looks at her wrist and she just laughs it off. “Don’t worry too much, I’m alive and kicking.” she says.

Suddenly a call comes to her phone, “Hello?” Jiyoung answers the call. “Doctor, we need you down in the 5th floor ward for your patient on room 5A” a nurse says in the other line. “Okay, I’m coming down now,” Jiyoung says and stands up from her seat. “Where are you going?” Sehun asks her, “I’m coming down to 5th floor, see you guys.” Jiyoung left the lounge.

---

“What happened?” Jiyoung asks a nurse, “He suddenly lost BP and I can’t catch his pulse at all.” Jiyoung quickly went to the patient and tries to stabilize him. “Oh God,” she closes her eyes as she saw his condition, “He’s brain death.” she says to the nurse.

“How is he, doc?” the family asks her, Jiyoung looks down a little. “I’m sorry, but … with his condition, I could only announce that Mr.Kang is brain death now.” the family breaks and cries. “I’m sorry,” Jiyoung apologizes and leaves them to grief and make up their mind.

Jiyoung take a deep breathe, she still could remember the pain.

---

“What happened to them? Are they okay?” Jiyoung asks the team of doctors which including Baekhyun in it. They all look at each other, then Baekhyun approaches closer.

“Listen, Jiyoung, the injuries are too severe. Jongin and Juyoung …. They’re strong and they’ve fought their best until the surgery ended. But, there’s no response and we can’t read their EEG test. Those are flat lines …. Youngie,  they’re both brain death now, I’m sorry.” Baekhyun says to her carefully.

Jiyoung widens her eyes, “No …. You’re lying ….” she shakes her head and Baekhyun calms her down.  “We’re sorry, Dr.Kim ….” the other surgeons say. “No …. No ….” Jiyoung looks away, “Jongin said that we’re going to Korea this weekend, he said that! He promised me! He …. He promised me ….” Jiyoung cries.

“You also … fracture your left wrist … So—“ Jiyoung reaches Baekhyun with her right hand, “Please … just leave me alone now.” she says while crying.

After Baekhyun and the other doctors leave her alone, Jiyoung cries, cries hard.

She lost them, forever.

---

“What happens there?” Baekhyun asks and Jiyoung wipes her tears away, “One of their family members announced to brain death.” Jiyoung says. Baekhyun reads her face, “You should stop blaming yourself. You’re lucky to be alive and still here,” Baekhyun says.

“I know…. I know that.” Jiyoung nods and looking down a bit.

‘Doctor Kim Juyoung, ER’

The speaker says and Juyoung hurriedly comes down to the ER with Baekhyun.

“What’s going on?”  Juyoung asks as she saw a boy with low blood pressure, “He has a low blood pressure, we can’t grab his BP at all.” the nurse says. “Okay, he’s going blue …. There’s a chance of hypoxia. Hypoxia caused by methemoglobin…. Okay, let’s do CPR first.” Jiyoung tries hard to save the little boy.

“No pulse …..” the nurse says and Jiyoung stil trying her best to do the CPR for him, “Doctor….” the nurse points at the monitor. There’s still no pulse and the blood pressure still dropping, “What happen??!” the parents asks but the nurses are trying to keep them away from trauma center.  “150” the nurse says and Jiyoung tries to do defibrillation but it doesn’t work.

“Stop it, Jiyoung.” Sehun says and Jiyoung looks at him, “Stop it,” Sehun tries to stop him but she slaps his hand away.

“NO ONE DIES IN MY HAND, NO ONE!” she says and Sehun steps back, “Steps back, let her.” Baekhyun whispers and Sehun does.

Suddenly, beeping voice heard and everyone claps their hands. “Blood pressure stable, raised the oxygen level and placed him in a sterile and high oxygen area.” Jiyoung says and the nurses do as she says. “He’s going to be okay, he just need a lot more oxygen.” she says to the parents and they thanks her.

Sehun and Baekhyun are standing and looking at her, “What?” Jiyoung asks as she washes her hands. “Nothing,” they says in the same time. “I’m going for a coffee, anyone?” Baekhyun says and Sehun raises his hand. “You’re not coming?” Jiyoung shakes her head, “I’m going to my room.” she says and they separate ways.

---

“I hope you didn’t mind with her actions earlier …. She’s sensitive when it comes to kids or … anything with brain death.” Baekhyun says as they pick up their coffees. “Why?” Sehun asks him, Baekhyun exhales. “Gosh, I feel bad. But yeah, you should know this.” Baekhyun says as they take a seat.

“After graduated from JH, she got married right after me. She has a husband, Kim Jongin, or we usually called him Kai. He’s a cardiac surgeon, we went to the same college. He’s great, kind, mature, they’re just like match-made in heaven. They have a son, Kim Juyoung. That night, he picked her up from the hospital to go home and planning to go visits South Korea in the weekend, but that accident happened.” Baekhyun says.

---

“JIYOUNG?!” Baekhyun shocks after a couple of ambulance arrives at Johns Hopkins Hospital, “She got into a car accident, multiple collision, raining day. She was trapped in the car with her husband.” the paramedic say.

“It’s the husband, he trapped in the car and suffered severe head injury.”

“The son was thrown five meters from the car.”

Baekhyun confused but then he decides to treat Jiyoung first, “Okay,  Jiyoung, you need to stay with me, you’re not going to die. Let’s go!” Baekhyun says and they bring her to the surgery room. The ER is busy and a lot of patient comes in, this is their worst code black case that year.

---

“She lost them?” Baekhyun nods his head, “Both of them.” Baekhyun says. “If you want to know deeper, you should ask Jiyoung, it’s her rights.” Baekhyun says. Sehun stayed silent for a couple minutes. Jiyoung has suffered a tragedy that no one would ever overcome and strong like her.

“Let’s go,” Baekhyun says and they get back to the on-call room.

---