Kim Jiyoung

Spring Love

“Well, yeah, thank you. See you in a bit.”

A female doctor ends her call and enters the cafeteria for all the staff in Severance Private Hospital. Her name is Kim Jiyoung, or you can say, was. She’s a general surgeon in the renowned hospital for years and the only female general surgeon that has been receiving calls from a lot of hospital around the world for her outstanding skills. Even though, it’s not enough for her.

“You didn’t go home?” a familiar voice says and Jiyoung turns around only to see her best friend munching over his hot dog right behind her. “Can I say the same for you, Baekkie?” Jiyoung just laughs and takes her food tray to an empty seat.

Byun Baekhyun is her best friend since they’re in college, they met and somehow match well. Not in terms of romantic relationship, but in terms of friends-bonding-thingy. Baekhyun has been with her through her worse and good days, he knows her deepest secrets as she know the same about him. Unlike other story, Baekhyun has already a girlfriend by the time they met and they got married right after they graduated. His girlfriend, or wife, is working as a public accountant and sometimes is busier than him.

“Stop calling me with that pet name, Youngyoung.” Baekhyun ruffles her hair while taking a seat right in front of her. “So, what’s up with you and the surgery rooms? You aren’t called God-young for nothing ,” Jiyoung just laughs at him, “Somehow I got copped up with three patients at the same time, they were in the accidents. Two females, one male. They all alive.” Jiyoung shrugs while keep eating. “God-young, I love you.” Baekhyun said and they both just laughs.

“Oh, you two, could you please stop this lovey-dovey chit-chat so that no one would ever spread any malicious rumors about an affair happened here?” a nurse came in, “Yeah, whatever, you better get your off here, Minji.” Baekhyun rolls his eyes and Minji just laughs as she leaves the room.

“You’re taking the night shift today?” Jiyoung asks and Baekhyun nods, “I can’t let you alone, well, after I heard there’s a new doctor coming in.” Baekhyun says while finishing his juice. “New doctor?” Jiyoung finished eating her fruits and furrows her brows. “Oh, yeah, of course you didn’t hear. You’re copped with the patients in the surgery rooms. Well, I heard there’s a Yale-graduated general surgeon coming down to this hospital.” Baekhyun says.

“Ivy-league school, how prestigious our hospital is.” Jiyoung rolls her eyes and Baekhyun just laughs. “You should know we are Ivy-league school graduated too so stop calling like everyone is better than you when you’re the only doctor who generously taking the night shift when the VIP patients are asking for you.” Jiyoung slap his arms friendly, “Yeah, take a look at yourself.” Jiyoung walks away to put her food tray as she finishes her late-dinner.

---

“Doctor Kim, ER!” a nurse said and Jiyoung quickly comes down to the Emergency Room.

“What happened?” she asks as she sees a male patient in bloods and legs in crutches, “Male, 34 years old, stabbed multiple times and the knife now entered his stomach. Lost a lot of bloods, his wife is on the way.” the paramedic says and Jiyoung quickly gloves herself up, “Okay, let’s stabilize him and get him upstairs.” Jiyoung says.

A couple minutes later, a stretcher comes in, brings a female patients on it. “It’s the wife,” the paramedic says and Baekhyun comes in to the center trauma stage. “What about her?” Jiyoung asks Baekhyun while trying to stabilizing the husband, “I’m taking her upstairs now, she’s stable, multiple injuries and a stab wound on her abdomen. Yours?” Baekhyun asks. “I’m coming in a minute, good luck.” Jiyoung says as Baekhyu brings the wife to the surgery room upstairs.

“Bloods coming out, watch out!” Jiyoung says as the patient throws up blood, “I need to intubate him, tubes!” Jiyoung says and the nurses getting busy.

“You can’t stop his bleeding if you don’t open him up right now.” a stern voice says and Jiyoung doesn’t bother with it, “If I open him up in his current condition, he’ll die of blood lost.” Jiyoung says while trying to save her patient. “But if you don’t, you can’t save him either.” a male doctor approaches them, “And if you didn’t shut your mouth now, I’m going to kick your out of this ER. Who the hell are you?” Jiyoung says loudly.

“I’m the new surgeon, Oh Sehun. And if you don’t mind I want to open him up, now. Right here.” Jiyoung sighs and rolls her eyes, “Okay, fine. But you can’t exclude me from this, preparations! We’re opening him up here,” Jiyoung says while eyeing Sehun who is wearing his robes. “You’re actually gonna do that here?” Minji shows up while preparing the procedure, “We have no choice, here or there. Die later or save him faster.” Jiyoung says and prepare to open the patient.

“Severe wound, might be thoracic injury. Open him up now, give me number ten.” Sehun says as he already cut the patient, “Bovie, hold that.” Jiyoung says. “Okay, we stopped the bleeding. Now let’s go upstairs.” Jiyoung says and she hurriedly goes with the patient.

“She’s like that, don’t take it to your heart.” Minji approaches Sehun who just stares at Jiyoung and the patient, “I know, I’ve heard a lot about her. Oh Sehun, general surgeon.” Sehun offers his hand and Minji grabs it. “Song Minji, ER nurse. Ah, you’re the ‘hot-stuff’ then?” Minji just laughs, “Hot stuff? I’m not sure. Are the situation usually heats up like this?” Sehun asks as they both go to the trauma 1 station. “Only if Jiyoung, the female doctor you saw earlier, got interrupted or has a disagreement with someone in the procedure. Other than that? None. Welcome to Severance.” Minji says and leaves.

---

“Oh gosh, kill me.” Baekhyun lays down on the sofa in on-call room, “What happened?” Jiyoung enters the room and sits right across him in the other sofa. “She’s seizing just a minute after the surgery ended, she has a petechiae around her eyes. Turns out, she was attacked and her husband actually trying to help her but then he got stabbed and, well, we know the rest ….” Baekhyun closes his eyes. “Then take a nap,” Jiyoung walks to the fridge.

“Oh, I heard that you met the new doctor. How is it?” Baekhyun shots an interested gaze and she just laughs, “He’s extreme and a little bit of risk-taker.” Baekhyun raises his eyebrows. “I’m not used to him, yet.” Baekhyun just laughs as he hears her last comment.

Suddenly Sehun entered the room with their hospital’s director, “Early morning, doctors.” the director says. “This is—“ “Doctor Oh, Oh Sehun. Yeah, we’ve met in the ER.” Jiyoung says, “Alright then, I’ll consider you’ve get along well. See you,” the three were left in that room.

“O—kay …. Hi, I’m Byun Baekhyun, nice to meet you.” Baekhyun offers Sehun his hand and Sehun takes it. “Oh Sehun, nice to meet you.” Sehun says. Sehun turns his head to Jiyoung who still standing right next to the coffee machine, “You’re the one that I met in the ER earlier, right/” Sehun asks.

“Jiyoung, Kim Jiyoung.” Jiyoung says and just smiles.

---