For the Love of Food and the Friend of Friends

Body and Soul

It was a beautiful morning. There was a clear blue sky, the sun was warm, the breeze was refreshing, and his breakfast had been wonderful. It would have been better however if his class actually bothered to pay attention half the time. He understood it was hard, he was only 24 so not that much older than his class and he wasn't a proper lecturer but still. He was a valued member of the community and he expected a tiny ounce of respect when he came in weekly to talk to a performing arts class about stage performance. It would be even better if any members of his class actually turned up.

He'd just been casted in a new high end musical with some of the biggest names in the singing industry and he couldn't wait to share his wisdom with his students. But it was currently 9:23 am and his class should have started at 9:00 am and he was still sat by himself. He sighed.

Nothing went right for him. Well, he'd got his dream job and he had a decent apartment, but small-scale, things consistently went wrong. Small things and well the whole soulmate thing. But he'd told himself it'd happen when it'd happen and if it didn't happen then it was never meant to be. He wasn't too fussed.

He sat in the classroom for another 10 minutes before giving up. If no-one was going to come it was their loss. He tried to pretend it didn't matter, but it still hurt a bit. He'd given up time to come and talk about his passion with like-minded people, but no-one had bothered to show up. He put on his coat and grabbed his bag before slowly making it outside and slumping onto a bench. His beautiful morning had been ruined. He sighed and opened his bag, routing for some food to try and cheer himself up.

He'd just taken his first bite from a brioche bun when he heard someone shout his name.

"Daehyun hyung! Hyung!"

Daehyun looked up.

"I'm so sorry, Daehyun hyung! I'm so sorry I'm late hyung!"

The person shouting was currently running towards him, flailing his arms around. He came to a sudden stop in front of Daehyun and bent over, hands on knees, and panting.

"Jongup?" Daehyun asked hesitantly. "Are you okay?"

"I'm so sorry I'm late," Jongup panted. "I was staying with a friend last night and he decided to take me to breakfast before his work shift started so I went for breakfast with him and then we left at a reasonable time but then we got stuck in traffic and it made us both late and I am so sorry I didn't realise so I got out the car and ran but hyung shouted at me saying I was stupid but I'd already gone and I ran here and saw you eating and I'm sorry," Jongup rambled without pausing. Daehyun's eyes were large. "Did no-one turn up again?"

Daehyun laughed nervously round a mouthful of bread. "No they didn't."

Jongup sat down next to him. "I'm sorry, hyung."

"It's okay, Jongup!" Daehyun said cheerfully. "If no-one wants to listen it's their loss!"

Jongup laughed. "Hyung! I'm always willing to listen!"

Daehyun patted his shoulder. "Thanks, Gup."

"Hyung!" Jongup whined.

"What?"

"Hyung!" Jongup just whined louder, pouting at the almost destroyed bun in Daehyun's hands.

"Nuh -uh. No way. Absolutely not," Daehyun said firmly. And to demonstrate his point Daehyun stuffed the rest of the bun in his mouth in one go.

Jongup laughed and cleaned the crumbs off his hyung's lap. "Whoever your soulmate is they'd better love cooking!"

Daehyun just smiled.

___   ___

Youngjae pulled his lunch out. He'd been to breakfast with Jongup so he'd decided before that he'd pack his own lunch. He'd filled it with his favourites to try and keep his motivation up throughout the morning. Knowing a yummy homemade lunch was waiting made everything seem a bit more manageable. Youngjae had also managed to get through the morning without wanting to tear Jeon Jungkook's face off which was always an accomplishment. Jungkook was sassy as hell and needed someone to reign in his inner diva. Normally this job fell to his soulmate, Kim Taehyung from accounts but he was at a conference with his department. And so Jungkook decided to annoy the hell out of Youngjae.

"Yoo!"

Youngjae almost growled when he heard the obnoxious boy's voice. He ignored him and continued eating.

"Yah, Yoo! I know you're listening, and while you're at it try not to look so annoyed at my presence." Jungkook sat down next to him while simultaneously stuffing another sandwich into his mouth.

"What do you want now, Jeon?" Youngjae sighed.

"I only want to talk to my friend!" Jungkook laughed. Youngjae scowled at him and Jungkook laughed even more.

"No seriously what is it?"

"Fine I'll come clean," Jungkook sighed. "A friend of Tae's is seriously lacking in the soulmate department, if you know what I mean, you should because you are seriously lacking too, and we, well I, thought about meeting him up with other seriously lacking people to try and help him. I really hope you're catching my drift," Jungkook said staring at Youngjae.

Youngjae sighed. "I hope you're not going to say what I think you're going to say."

"Why not?" Jungkook asked. "You've probably never met him before so he really could be your soulmate and even if he's not then it gets you out!"

"Why do you care so much, Jeon? All you've ever done is get on my nerves."

"To tell you the truth I don't care about you, Yoo," Jungkook said, avoiding the swipe of Youngjae's hand. "I care about Tae, if you couldn't guess, and Tae cares deeply about his friend who incidentally doesn't have a soulmate yet!"

"So... You want to set us up?"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"... What? Why not?" Jungkook looked offended.

"Look, I'm sure Taehyung's friend is lovely-" Youngjae started.

"Daehyun. His name is Daehyun." Jungkook interrupted.

"- but I'm not interested. If he is my soulmate we'll find each other by ourselves. Sorry but I want to do this by myself."

"Okay," Jungkook said. "I do understand but- never mind. You're right. If you do ever want to meet him though just say. Because he is, as you so rightly guessed, lovely." In that moment, Jungkook almost seemed friendly and caring.

Youngjae just nodded.

 

 

---

Hope you liked it! Thanks for reading and please comment!

And the next part will hopefully be up on Monday!