Six

Babysitter Blues

Jonghyun laid on his bed, eyes focused on the ceiling above him; mind overflowing with thoughts. His boyfriend just goddamn left after he proposed to him! What was he supposed to think? And what was he supposed to do now? Was he at fault? Or maybe Onew wasn’t that in love with him? Was he afraid of commitment?

He sighed, thinking of all the possibilities but it was driving him crazy. He needed someone to talk to. Not Taemin, cause he will probably be on his cousin’s side. Key and Minho weren’t good choices either, they would instead of comforting him. The only person that gives great advice every time he had trouble was his older sister, Sodam. Although that meant he had to come clean about his relationship with Onew, his older sister only knew him as Hana’s babysitter; not her younger brother’s boyfriend.

“What do you want.” Was his sister’s first words.

Jonghyun laughed, “You know me so well Sodam noona.”

“Yeah sure cut with the crap and talk.”

Jonghyun sat up, leaning against the headboard. “I… have a problem. It’s about Onew hyung.”

He could hear his sister yawning through the phone, “What about him?”

“He and I are, um; dating.”

The line went silent for a minute, Jonghyun was unsure whether his sister could even accept the fact that he was dating; let alone him dating a man.

“Why are you telling me this now?”

“Because, he just ing left after I proposed to him!” Jonghyun felt the tears that he tried to keep hidden burst out. He was a mess, he hadn’t been this way ever since Jiyeon died. Jonghyun was completely frustrated with himself.

Sodam took a deep breath, “I will be right there.”

 

 

Jonghyun waited for his sister to arrive, laying on the couch in the living room still drowning in tears. The doorbell rang and he immediately rushed over to open the door, pulling his sister into a tight embrace.

“Yah, man up. You are a dad now remember?” Sodam said, wrapping her arms around Jonghyun. Jonghyun faced his sister, wiping the tears off his face.

“Why does it hurt so much?”

“Because you love him with all your heart, that’s why.”

They sat on the couch, holding onto a cup of warm tea as Jonghyun told his sister the whole story of how he got together with Onew.

“He will come around Jonghyun, I know it’s hard but you should give him some space for the time being.”

Jonghyun looked into his sister’s eyes, “Are you sure?”

Sodam smacked her brother in the head, “I have more experience in dating than you do, idiot.”

“Maybe you’re right. I just have to wait.”

 

-All of the things that I thought I couldn’t do,

I do it because of you.-

 

It’s been three days since Jonghyun saw Onew. No calls either. Taemin wouldn’t tell him how is his boyfriend doing, not even a hint. Jonghyun felt like he was going insane. The stack of song sheets he wrote during these three days were piling up like a mountain because of his agony.

“Wow, seeing your progress I think you can take a long break after this.” Sunghyuk, another composer joked.

“I sure hope so.” Jonghyun mumbled.

His phone suddenly vibrated in his pocket, the thought of his boyfriend calling caused him to answer the call in a hurry without even looking at the ID.

“That was quick.”

Jonghyun’s hand trembled a little after hearing the voice he missed so much, “Hyung.”

“We need to talk. Or rather, I need to tell you something.”

 

 

Both men sat across each other in the corner of the café a few blocks away from SM. The drinks placed in front of them forgotten as they stared at each other, trying to come up with the right words to say to each other.

Onew cleared his throat, ready to speak. “Jonghyun, I accept your proposal.”

The younger’s eyes widened, “You’re not joking, right?”

“No, and I am sorry for leaving you hanging like that. I had some…. issues before this but then I realised that I love you, and I would be the world’s biggest idiot if I let you go.”

Jonghyun reached out to hold his boyfriend’s hand, “I love you too.”

“I want to tell you something about my past.”

His boyfriend took a sip of his chamomile tea to quench his thirst before starting his story.  “My ex and I met in L.A when I was in college and we dated. I loved him, I thought we were happy. Then things took a turn when he broke up with me, just a month after we got together. He told me that everything was a mistake, that he didn’t like guys; he was just attracted to the idea of being with a man.” Jonghyun’s heart ached as soon as he heard what his boyfriend had been through. He understood that Onew needed a sense of security, he needed to know that the younger was a hundred percent serious about their relationship.

“I will never hurt you.” Jonghyun reassured the older with a serious tone.

Onew smirked, “We’ll see about that. But first, let go of my hand so I can eat properly. It’s hard to eat with one hand you know.”

“Then promise me something first,” the younger said.

“What is it?” Onew asked.

“Move in with me and Hana.”

“I hope you won’t regret it, I snore when I sleep.” Onew winked mischievously.

“But I didn’t hear anything when you slept over that night.” Jonghyun said as a matter-of-factly.

Onew laughed, “That’s because you blanked out after our ‘late night activity’.”

The younger blushed at the thought of what they did, “So that’s a yes?”

“I think you know what I mean.” Onew replied before scooping a small slice of cake and stuffing it into his mouth. 

 

 

Thanks for all the support you guys! Love you <3