Five

Babysitter Blues

Onew glanced at his phone, looking at the time displayed on the screen. He was standing outside Hana’s day care centre, waiting for the precious baby girl to finish.

“Hi Onew-ssi, how are you?” One of the mothers greeted him. Onew grew closer with the rest of the moms since they were always waiting outside for their children, they would make small talk and discuss about whatever they can. He even joined their official chat room as per the moms’ request.

Onew smiled, bowing politely. “I am great. How are you?”

“I am fine. How’s everything?”

He shrugged, “Just busy with work and taking care of Hana.”

The mom touched his arm lightly, “You’re such a responsible babysitter. Maybe I can call you when I need help?”

“Sure, but I charge a lot.” Onew joked.

“Then no thanks.” The mom replied teasingly.

The conversation was interrupted with the kids running to their respective moms. Well for Hana it’s her dad.

“Daddy!” Hana called out as she ran into Onew’s arms.

Onew carried her, then planting a kiss on her forehead, “Did you have a good time?”

“Yes daddy!”

They bade the mothers and their children goodbye, walking to the bus stop together hand in hand.

“Hana, do you remember what day is it today?”

The young girl thought for a while before replying, “Is it daddy’s birthday today?” And by daddy, she meant Jonghyun.

“You are absolutely right! Why don’t we have a surprise party for daddy Jonghyun? What do you say?” Onew suggested.

Hana nodded excitedly, “That would be so much fun!”

Onew chuckled, “Alright then, operation ‘Surprise Birthday Party’ is a go.”

 

 

Jonghyun ran his hand through his already messed up hair, frustrated than ever. The songs he composed were a complete mess, everything just didn’t sound right. Not to mention that no one even bothered to wish him a happy birthday. Not even his own boyfriend, or his friends for that matter. Speaking of friends, they just decided to dump him alone in the studio without even telling him where they were going. What ‘great’ friends’ they are.

“Argh, I might as well head home and drown in my own misery.” Jonghyun mumbled to himself, switching off the lights and closing the door behind him.

He entered his dark apartment after a fifteen minute drive, taking off his shoes as he called for Hana and his boyfriend but there was no reply.

‘Isn’t it too late to be out?’ Jonghyun thought, wandering into the living room.

To his surprise, his boyfriend, Hana and his friends were all gathered there with birthday hats on their heads. He suddenly understood everything.

And when they started singing the happy birthday song, Onew and Hana both approaching him with a cake; in that moment he felt as if he was the happiest man alive.

“Aren’t you gonna blow the damn candles, cry baby?” Key teased Jonghyun who was already shedding tears.

His boyfriend passed the cake to Taemin after the candles were blown, proceeding to wipe Jonghyun’s tears away with his thumb.

“Happy birthday idiot.” Onew whispered in the younger’s ear.

“Happy birthday daddy! I love you!” Hana puckered her lips for a kiss. Jonghyun pecked her lips and also Onew’s, pulling them both into an embrace.

Minho tapped Jonghyun on the shoulder, “You guys can do this later, I wanna eat the cake now.”

Jonghyun groaned in response, “You guys are so annoying.”

“That’s why we are your friends.” Taemin scooped up some cream on the birthday cake with his hand then smearing it on Jonghyun’s face.

Everyone started laughing at Jonghyun who wiped the cream with a tissue, “Yah, I am so getting payback!”

And that’s how the surprise birthday party turned into a food fight of some sort.

 

 

“Are you satisfied with your surprise birthday party?” Onew asked the younger as they cuddled on the couch with Hana enjoying her daily dose of Pororo.

Jonghyun looked at his boyfriend, “I am.”

“Then why are you still so sulky?”

Jonghyun pouted, “Because I had to clean up the mess!”

“You know it’s fair since you escaped when we had to clean up after painting the other day.” Onew ruffled the younger’s light blonde hair (Yes, Jonghyun went to dye his hair to match Onew’s).

“Fine, but I still want my present.”

“What more do you want, you already had cake.”

Jonghyun wrapped his arm around his boyfriend’s waist, leaning his head on Onew’s shoulder.

“I want you.”

Onew rolled his eyes, “You already have me.”

“Well, I do. But I want you to be a part of the family, for real.”

“Isn’t that too early? We’ve just started dating three months ago.” Onew met Jonghyun’s gaze.

“I love you, you love me; Hana loves you. That’s all there is to it.”

Onew sighed, “I know that, it’s just; I need some time to think about this.”

Jonghyun’s mind went blank for a second. He wasn’t expecting for Onew to hesitate, he was always so sure of their relationship and now that he was ready for the older to be a part of his life officially; Jonghyun thought Onew would say yes immediately and they would have a celebratory make out session (after putting Hana to bed of course).

Onew unwrapped Jonghyun’s arm from his waist, getting off the couch then smoothing his rumpled clothes.

He extended his hand to caress the younger’s cheek, giving him a chaste kiss on the lips. “I will talk to you when I am ready. Also I will be a bit busy for the next couple of days so maybe you should ask your sister to take care of Hana.”

No words came out of Jonghyun’s mouth, he couldn’t think of anything to convince the older to stay. All he did was stare at his boyfriend who kissed Hana goodbye before leaving the apartment.

This was shaping up to be the worst birthday ever.