Chapter Three

Énouement (discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My father came back to Seoul for the wedding and was the most upset on the day of the event. While the 3 women (I now knew as Hyosung, Seulgi, and Nana) readied me with their brushes and paints, my parents sat quietly on the couch in the corner of the lounge, watching me with sullen expressions. 

"Why don't you guys go get some fresh air before the ceremony starts?" I suggested, wincing when a bobby pin got shoved a bit to harshly into my scalp. Nana apologized quietly.

My mother, who had already given me the big Mother-Daughter talk the night before, sniffled and nodded while standing. "I think that's a good idea, dear," she said to my father, pulling him from the room. Once they were out of the room, I dropped the neutral expression that I called my brave face and sighed. 

The naïve little girl inside of me that had always hoped for a whirl-wind romance and a big fairytale wedding had hoped that after a little time this whole scheme would become a little easier to do and Sehun would be less of a handful and hardass and actually speak to me. Unfortunately, as I sat there being dolled up to walk down the aisle and seal my unfateful marriage to the man who had hardly even sent a pleasant look in my direction, I knew that little girl was gravely disappointed and would most likely remain so for a very long time.

It was too late to back out though. My mother had told me that it wasn't the night before but I had already signed the contract and so had they. Maybe it had been stupid and irrational to jump right in without any experience or spending any time around the Ohs but those were the conditions. There was no trial run. So I just decided to put on a brave face and move forward.

When my parents finally returned, Mrs. Choi had joined them and both of the women started squealing about how beautiful I looked. My father simply looked on with a twinkle of admiration in his eyes until they finally quieted down.

"I actually came by to give you something, Yebin," Mrs. Choi said, holding out a small jewelry box. "I wasn't sure if you had acquired something new to wear but I hoped you would accept my gift and wear it for good luck."

Grateful to at least be having such a kind Mother-in-law, I accepted the box and opened it. My mother gasped before I could even catch full sight of the sparkly bracelet sitting inside. It was definitely not something you found nowadays in jewelry stores but it was magnificent. The thin golden bangle was solid with tiny emeralds embedded into the center, circling it and bringing simple color to it. 

"Thank you so much, Mrs. Choi." I smiled broadly at her and found myself being pulled in for a tight hug.

"Just call me Eomeoni."

We broke away from the hug and my mom patted her cheeks. "I told myself I wouldn't cry," she wailed. My father soothingly patted her back. "Your father and I have something for you too. Something old." She produced a small red velvet draw string bag and pulled it open. "I wore it at your father and I's wedding and his mother before that and so on. It's been in the family as long as the factory and we knew you would want to wear it and pass it on also."

Out of the bag came a tiny blue rose. It looked like it might've been a brooch at one point but before I could get much of a look at it, Nana had rushed over and said she knew exactly where it belonged. While she dug through her bag to get another bobbby pin, I hugged both of the women and thanked them for their gifts and then the wedding coordinator was rushing in, telling the mothers to go find their seats and that my father was to have me waiting at the sanctuary entrance in five minutes.

"Oh, but you're missing something borrowed!" my mother gasped, clapping her hands together. Mrs. Choi's eyes widened as if the end of the world was occuring. Then both women were scurrying around the room trying to find something while Nana pinned the rose next to the veil perfectly situated atop my head of curls.

"Ladies, you need to be seated," my father said gently. My mother ignored him but Mrs. Choi gasped.

"Minjee, go find your seat! I'll get her something borrowed," she insisted, pulling her towards the door. "Hurry, hurry." Then the door slammed behind them both and the room went quiet. The three girls, now finished with making me beautiful, grabbed their bags and bowed, wishing me good luck. Finally, I was alone with my father who looked lost all of a sudden.

"I, um . . ." He cleared his throat, hands twisting in his pockets while he looked at me. "I know this isn't the type of wedding any of us wished for you to have but I do wish you the best, Yebin. You're such a brave girl and your mother and I couldn't be more proud of you. And if you want to back out now, we wouldn't blame you. We'll figure out a way to nullify the contracts and we'll take you back home with us, no questions asked." I couldn't help but laugh at that even as tears pricked at my eyes. I tried to blink them away before they ruined my makeup but they seemed to only sting more when he grabbed a hold of both my hands and squeezed them gently between his own. "I've been married to your mother for twenty-three wonderful years and I can only hope and pray that you get the same thing out of this marriage despite all of the circumstances."

I smiled sadly up at him, trying not to blink and spill tears. "I love you, daddy."

With tears of his own, he pulled me into his chest and hugged my tightly. "I love you too, sweetheart."

The coordinator rushed back into the room then, ushering us out and situating us in front of the doors. I could hear the buzz of the guest even over the pounding of my heart. My father soothingly patted my arm that was looped with his.

"One minute," the coordinator announced. I nearly swiveled around and glared at her for being so annoyingly punctual but before I could even blink, Mrs. Choi came slamming through the doors, nearly hitting my father and I.

"Something borrowed!" she sing-songed, holding up a black leather bracelet. The coordinator hissed something at her but the woma merel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter