Part VIII

The Taste of Chaos

Guess who I am (Guess who)

Guess my name

Guess who I am (Guess who)

Shoot for my heart

- Guess who – 

 

The police didn’t make a lot of questions taking it for a suicide which annoyed Anna. They examined the guest bedroom and took Mijung’s body away to be analyzed. Anna cried the whole time and after, she was too much in shock to answer properly to the police questions. Her uncle gently did it for her and her aunt accompanied her to her bedroom.

She slept almost the whole day and only came outside when her aunt was distracted.

She needed to see Taemin. There were so many things she wanted to ask him. Above all she needed to do something to avenge her friend’s death. She felt as if it was her fault. That killer wanted her, Taemin warned her and still she wasn’t able to hear it.

Anna wrapped herself in a shawl and walked outside in the direction of the cliff wearing her pajamas.

The house seemed deserted and Anna climbed the few steps to knock on the door.

 No one answered and after a few more tries she gave up on it and climbed down the stairs ready to sit on them to wait for Taemin.

She didn’t have to because she spotted him watching her from the side of the house.

He raised a finger to call her before he hid beyond the walls of the house and she quickly walked in his direction looking around her to see if she found out why they were hiding.

She barely had crossed the side of the house when he pulled her closer to him.

Anna let herself be pulled and bumped against his chest. He seemed surprised to see how weak she became now. Her eyes were red and swollen from the tears, her skin pale and with no shine, and she seemed to have lost a lot of weight.

“You are becoming weak quick!” He said with sorrow on his eyes. The house was eating her alive, all the spirits were her energy quickly.  Probably her friend’s spirit was the guiltiest one since it was young and was eager for energy.

“Why are we hiding?” Anna asked ignoring his comment, placing her hands on his chest, the strong pull of energy running on her veins again. He was like the charger she needed to recover her health.

“He is watching you now. Watching you more than ever. He was afraid you might go away since your friend died. He was the one who killed her…”

“I know. You warned me and I didn’t hear you!Why didn't you protect her?” Tears came to her eyes and Taemin pulled her against him.

"I can't....I can't interfere directly with human lives...If I do there will be consequences for me. I'm risking a lot already by only warning you!”Anna closed her eyes tight feeling warm for the first time in hours. Not even all the blankets in her bed had the same effect as his body had on her. She let herself relax on his embrace, finally some peace entering her heart.

“You can cry if you want.” He said in a whisper caressing her back “Actually tears are really precious where I come from.”

“Why? “ She asked against his t-shirt.

“Shouldn’t you ask where I come from instead?” He wasn’t sure he could even answer that to her. He shouldn’t tell her anything about himself and yet he couldn’t stop talking when he was near her.

“I’m afraid to ask.” That made him smile.

“Tears are little pieces of your soul. There are several types of tears and only human beings can shed them. We use them to do magnificent things, some good others bad. It depends if the tears are from sadness or happiness.”

“People cry more of sadness than happiness.”

“True. That’s why good is rare and so special.”

Anna moved away from his chest and raised her eyes to him.

“Are you good or bad then?”

He touched her cheek, his thumb cleaning the trail of tears on her skin “I’m saving your tears.”

That should mean he was a bad spirit or creature since she was crying of sadness but she didn’t buy it.

“What can I do to get rid of the killer, to protect myself?”

Taemin smiled because finally Anna was on the same page as him.

“Leave the house!”

“I have nowhere to go and I can’t simply let my aunt and uncle unprotected.”

“He won’t hurt your family. He needs it.”

“No. Still I need to get rid of him. He needs to be stopped. I need to avenge those spirits. That’s what they want right? Freedom!? My friend needs to be in peace. I need to get rid of him.”

“You can’t… You can’t kill him! It’s not on your nature to do so!” Taemin seemed more agitated now.

“Still I need to do something!”

“Leave the house and search Lee Jinki in Seoul. He will help you.”

Anna tilted her head, her hands still on his chest, and his arms around hers. She knew that name.

“Lee Jinki? Your brother?”

His hands fell from her back and Taemin face contorted as if he was in pain making him release her and step back.

“How do you know?”

“I did some investigation and…”

“YOU SHOULDN’T HAVE!” Taemin was angry and Anna hugged herself in fear, the cold coming to her now that he wasn’t hugging her anymore.

That seemed to touch him and his expression softened “Leave! Don’t search for me anymore! I can’t be around you!”

“Why? What did I do wrong?”

He stepped back like an animal being hunted and Anna walked closer to him wondering why he seemed so enraged and yet so scared to talk about himself.

“GO! I’LL KILL YOU IF YOU DON’T!”

He walked around her and run to the house with Anna trying to follow after him, her legs almost giving in, and the energy he gave her not enough for her to walk faster.

“Wait!” She begged failing to follow him and stopping at the steps watching him walk inside the house, the door being closed on her face with no regret.

Anna walked back to her aunt’s house and skipped dinner immediately going to bed.

She felt too tired to even breathe let alone eat. Her family didn’t seem to find it strange since she was still grieving over her friend but Anna knew she was dying. If the evil spirit didn’t get to her and killed her, the house would.

That night Taemin didn’t come even though Anna waited for him, her eyes on the open window that let the cold wind enter her room, freezing her to the bones.

The silence was unbearable to Anna but something changed it.

The familiar sound of someone on the hallway made her sit on her bed, eyes on the door.

She saw a shadow under her door and grasped the covers of her bed. That was the night she was going to die. She was sure of it and for one second Anna accepted it. She had no one anymore. She lost her parents, her ex-boyfriend, and her aunt wasn’t even closer to her.

Maybe her time did come. Maybe she was going to be like one of those spirits in the house, screaming all night long, searching for a way out of that house, for justice.

However the shadow moved away and Anna stood up from her bed, grabbing an old coat and dressing it up.

No. She wasn’t going to die yet. She needed to free her friend. She needed to understand what was happening.

Taemin was right. She needed to leave the house!

She did exactly that. She unlocked the door of her bedroom and after peeking into the desert hallway she walked outside as quickly as she could. She run down the stairs tripping several times and run outside the house, all the way to the house in the cliff.

Whatever Taemin knew he didn’t seem to be able to tell her. However he was the only one who could help her protect herself and she wasn’t going to give up on him easily.

She could feel her heart beat so much while she run, the pain in her chest increasing with each step, her breathing was the only sound she could hear while she ran to the house. She almost fall once she reached the stairs and she let herself collapse against the door, knocking on it with her fists.

“Taemin! Please open!” She begged “I need you!” She truly did. Not only he was the only one who knew what was happening and believed her, but also she needed his touch to give her energy. She was dying and he was the only one, for some strange reason, that could make her feel better. Leaving the house didn’t seem to be enough any longer.

Anna heard noise behind her and she turned around afraid. Her eyes roamed the woods behind her and she bit her lip not being able to see anything.

“Taemin?”

She couldn’t die.

Anna turned around to the door. “Open the door please!”

She begged once again not even able to scream, her hands desperately pushing the door and to her surprise the door opened with a squeak.

She pushed it further and entered the house hoping to see the warm inviting living room she did the last time she was inside. However and to her surprise the house was in total darkness and ruins.

Nothing was like the last time she was there, the house was collecting dust and the beautiful couch was now a dusty old ripped couch.  Only the table was there too, abandoned.

Clearly no one entered that house in years and Anna released a cry before falling to the ground on her knees.

She imagined it. All of it. She was going crazy. Her aunt was right!

Anna closed and opened her eyes several times but still, the image before her eyes was the same.

No one lived there. Her aunt was right. She imagined everything.

Taemin was probably only a fickle of her imagination.