Part XV

The Taste of Chaos

When I open my eyes I’m always in the same spot

I hypnotize myself so I can forget you

But I want to see you so badly

When I come back to reality it’s still you

After all it’s you

- Hypnosis –

 

Anna felt the force of the gravity while she fell and she got reminded of the feeling of riding a rollercoaster, however this time there was no security belt and she knew that soon she would die. She didn’t dare to open her eyes and her fall wasn’t peaceful at all. She didn’t want to die. Not yet…

She opened her eyes regretting the jump, just when she felt warm hands grab her waist.

She didn’t need to look upwards to know who was holding her, softening her fall, until her feet gently touched the ground.

She didn’t die and it was all thanks to him, Taemin.

“You don’t fly!” He said releasing her waist “Angels like you don’t fly.”

She knew what he meant; Angels that weren’t dead yet.

 Anna felt tears come to her eyes and she wasn’t sure if she was only relieved that she didn’t die or happy to see him. Either way she hugged Taemin.

He caressed her back and then pulled her for a tighter hug, his relief that he arrived on time was clear on his actions.

They didn’t stay in that embrace for long because Taemin pushed her away.

Anna blinked her eyes confused until she remembered that she wasn’t safe yet, her uncle was still alive and by now he saw how she survived the fall. He was going after her for sure.

She wasn’t wrong because he left the house at that moment and Anna saw him stride in her direction with a gun on his hand. She didn’t even knew he had a gun, however she also didn’t know that he was a bloody murder before.

She pulled Taemin by his arm but the dark angel didn’t move.

She knew why, her uncle couldn’t see him; he couldn’t even kill him because he was dead already. But he could kill her if she stayed there.  Why wasn’t Taemin doing anything?!

“Anna…This won’t be painful! Anna!” Her uncle screamed and she stepped back, her eyes moving to Taemin.

Taemin smiled at her as if nothing was happening “It all comes down to this moment!” She didn’t know what he meant. Did he mean her death? Could that mean that they could be together in the afterlife? She didn’t mind if that was true. “Do you trust me?” He asked gently caressing her face.

She trusted him more than anyone else in life or death.

“Run. Don’t look back…just run!” He pushed her and Anna hesitated just when her uncle pointed the gun at her leg, probably wanting to injure her so she would be easier to capture.

“Run!” Taemin insisted and Anna did as he said running in the direction of the woods, covering her ears when she heard the gun being fired several times. The dogs started to bark furiously and she wasn’t sure who released them but she almost could swear that they were also running in the direction of the woods as if they were afraid of whatever was happening behind them.

The gunshots ceased and for a few seconds, Anna only heard her heartbeat and heavy breathing. It was as if all the sound around her was absorbed and she almost looked back out of curiosity. She didn’t! He told her to not look back. The sound came back and she heard a loud scream that probably belonged to her uncle and then something started to fall from the sky; it was like little stars on fire and Anna fell to the ground tripping on her own feet.

That’s when she looked back and the vision she saw could only be compared to what she imagined hell being like. The house was on fire, and the little stars were flying embers after all. She couldn’t hear her uncle anymore because he wasn’t the only one screaming right now, even though he was walking around the front of the house, his body in flames. The souls of the ones he killed were also screaming finally getting free from that house, from that prison.

Anna cried watching the house burn down slowly, her uncle falling to the ground probably dead.

Chaos.

Taemin was right. Their love made chaos happen but she didn’t seem to mind it. Sometimes chaos is the start of something new, sometimes it’s needed.

Anna uncovered her ears now that the sound of the fire and the dogs whining in the distance, safe from the flames, was the only thing she could hear.

She felt at peace now and she was sure that her fever and whatever sickness that took hold of her body disappeared with the souls living inside the house.

However…Taemin.

 She stood up ready to search for him, fearing the worse, when Anna saw Taemin walk in her direction slowly as if he was wounded. She quickly walked to him hesitating when she saw that he had wings, black as if they were burned, coming from behind his back.

He looked like the devil but she wasn’t afraid, her fingers touched his check and it burned her hand. He didn’t say anything and fell into her arms exhausted.

Anna hugged him against her chest even though his skin was burning her.

“You have wings now…” She mumbled caressing his hair.

“We get them…” He took a deep breath “When we become full demons.”

Anna panicked knowing that that couldn’t be a good omen “What do you mean demons?”

He laid on her lap, his tired eyes focusing on her teary expression. She had ashes on her cheeks and hair and yet she never looked so beautiful to him. That was the last thing he would see and there wasn’t any other image he would take to the afterlife with him “After you kill for the first time…you become one.”

“No” Anna moved her hand to his wings, touching it, noticing how the black burned skin fall leaving the red of it exposed.  “It’s my fault you killed my uncle!” She cried “You can’t become a demon. What does that even mean? Will you have wings forever? “she caressed that new part of him “I don’t mind them!” She added. He was still the same man to her even though he looked like a demon now…no he didn’t look, he was one!

Taemin didn’t answer but raised his eyes to the sky as if he was waiting for death, a new death.

“I must go to my new master now. He is calling me!”

“Master?” She panicked cupping his face “No. No you can’t leave me. You can’t go. You have a debt to me!”

Taemin didn’t answer her. He would have cried if he could cry, but demons don’t have tears, they don’t even have a heart and now, even though she was touching him, his heart wasn’t beating anymore. He was dead!

In her eyes he could see that she was finally realizing what was going to happen and she didn’t like it one bit. “STAY! I FORGIVE YOU!” She screamed “I FORGIVE YOU!”

If he was going to disappear at least he should go to heaven and not hell.

“I forgive you for everything.” She repeated over and over again and he grabbed her hand on his “I don’t blame you for anything. It wasn’t your fault…and you saved my life….it should be enough to compensate the one you took. It should be enough!”

Taemin weakly smiled at Anna; her words were sweet but he was sure that things didn’t work like that.

“It won’t work now. It’s too late.”

“It has to work!” She sobbed kissing his forehead and everywhere she could ending on his lips, her free hand over his chest trying to feel the beating of his heart like she did so many times before after they made love, and failing so.

She sobbed against his lips because it wasn’t working anymore. Slowly light was leaving him and his eyes were fully red now.

“Chaos…I’m an angel…” she mumbled. She had the light he needed. In a last try she cupped his face again and kissed him printing all her feels into it, breathing light into him, and all her energy. Taemin sat on the ground in front of her, kissing her back in what was probably going to be their last kiss. He knew it was and he wanted to remember it forever. He knew what she was trying to do and gently pulled her away from him because it was pointless.

Anna whimpered in pain realizing that there wasn’t anything she could do to save him.

His wings turned white and for a while she still had hope but then she realized that he was disappearing from the human world, being called by his master.

She held into his hand crying “Thank you….” He didn’t say anything and he didn’t have to. “I’ll never forget you…I love you!”

And just like he appeared in her life, Lee Taemin disappeared completely as if he was ghost.

Anna stared in a daze at the house in the distance being consumed by flames and she barely noticed when a man approached her by her back.

“It was my brother.”

She slightly turned back. Jinki was there, his car on the road a few meters from them, he probably witness part of what happened.

“He came to me in my dreams and told me to pick you up but….”

Then that was why he disappeared. He did a last effort to protect her. He barely arrived on time to do so.

“You could see him?”

“He had wings…red wings…”

“He saved me…He saved so many more that could have died after me.”

It wasn’t fair. He shouldn’t be called a demon when what he did saved her.

“We should call the police.” Jinki said helping Anna walk away from the house in the direction of his car. “They will make hard questions about this but we can say it was a fire and I managed to save you on time.”

“Yes.” She was thankful Jinki was there to help her, that he believed her. “We should.”

There wasn’t anything else she could do for Taemin anymore.

“He was wrong.” Anna mumbled when Jinki opened the door of his car for her to sit inside.

“Who?”

“He wasn’t a dark angel…he was an angel like you and me.”

 

 

 

A.N: Next chapter is the Epilogue. :)