Part VII

The Taste of Chaos

Yeah I know you
Miss me miss me
Baby give you
Kiss me kiss me
Yeah I know you
Miss me miss me 
Miss me

- Soldier – 

 

Anna was inside the bathtub having a bath, her wet hair sticking to her skin. She moved her fingers on the water until she heard a loud scream.

She raised her eyes scared but she was alone in the bathroom. Maybe it was her aunt! She was going to stand up from the bathtub when she widened her eyes and shrieked in fear. The water was red now, red with blood.

 

Anna woke up and sat on the bed panting. Her head hurt and her heart was beating very fast.

It was only a nightmare but it was as if she really lived all of it. She felt even a little feverish and moved her hand to her sweaty temple.

She needed a bath so she placed her feet on the floor. However she couldn’t take a bath inside that bathroom. Not now, after what she saw. She decided instead to pick up some warm water and wash herself inside her bedroom as best as she could, at least until she could enter the bathroom without feeling scared.

She did as she thought and went down downstairs to have breakfast with her aunt and uncle.

She felt weak and yet her appetite was almost gone, images of what Taemin showed her continuous playing in her mind.

“Are you ok?” Her aunt asked Anna.

“Did a serial killer live here before?”

That was enough to make her aunt choke on what she was eating and her uncle pale.

“What nonsense are you talking about?” her aunt asked clearly affected.

“Something is wrong and…”

Her uncle placed his chopsticks over the table and looked at her sternly “I don’t want to hurt your feelings but I really think you should visit a doctor.”

“I’m not going crazy” Anna insisted “Maybe you never heard about it since the house is really old. I know there are several spirits trapped in this house. I can feel them…”

Her aunt gasped covering and Anna knew that she probably said something similar to what her mother used to say.

“Your mother started exactly like that and then she-she killed herself!”

“I’m not…” Anna sighed “I’m not going to commit suicide. I’m just saying what I feel! And maybe my mother didn’t kill herself. Maybe a spirit got to her!”

“I doubt it!” Her uncle said with a firm tone “And you are really scaring your aunt with this stories. I wish you could stop!”

Anna opened and closed but her uncle’s deadly gaze on her was enough to make her quiet.

f4dwdv.jpg

That afternoon she traveled back to the village again and called her old coworker. It was a quick phone call where she shared some of her worries and, Mijung, her friend, decided to visit her for three days.  That suggestion made Anna feel better. Not only she would have someone to share her worries and talk but also she would have someone else inside the house that could see and feel the same things she did. Hopefully she would and then, maybe Anna would stop feeling like she was actually becoming crazy.

That night Taemin visited Anna again and this time they barely talked since she fell asleep with his presence in her bedroom. It was amazing how she felt at peace when he was around.

The next day Mijung arrived. Anna helped her settle her things inside the guest bedroom and they spent the rest of the day walking around the woods and talking about what happened with Anna detail by detail. The only thing she didn’t tell her was about Taemin’s visits.

Not because she feared his threat of killing her if she told anyone about him but because she felt as if that was best to kept it a secret, as if that was something intimate.

They also spent the evening talking about Mijung’s several blind dates and the guy she was trying to seduce at work.  To Anna her life in Seoul was like a dream now. It was a reality so different from the one she was living now.

Unfortunately for Anna, Mijung didn’t feel anything at all while walking around the house. She felt someone watch her once when they were walking outside but that was it.

They had a very quick dinner together with her family and once Anna bid goodnight to her friend and walked inside her bedroom she knew she wasn’t alone.

She locked the door like she always did and didn’t even turn on the light.

“You came early!” Anna said turning around.

The tall man left the shadows and walked into the light of the moon entering the bedroom window.

“Send her away!”

“Excuse me?”

“Your friend! This is a warning! He doesn’t like her! She is y and confident. He kills those!”

Anna placed a hand on her chest and walked to Taemin. “I can’t tell her to leave in the middle of the night!”

“She is in danger right now. Cant’s you see? Can’t you take my warnings seriously?”

“Maybe you are mistaken. Nothing happened to me yet.”

“Because he likes you, because you are innocent like an angel. He prefers those.” Taemin groaned, pain in his eyes “I showed what he does to them. Please listen to me. And leave this house with her before it’s too late!”

“I can’t!” She couldn’t now. Not when he was beside her, not when she needed to understand what was really happening in that house.

“Do as you see fit!” He said jumping outside the window once again. This time Anna didn’t even peek outside.

It was a calm night and Anna was happy to see her friend alive and well the next morning.  That was a good omen for Anna and it meant that maybe Taemin was wrong about his warnings.

Anna and her friend went for some fun in the village, which was basically shopping at the small little stores and going to eat an ice cream before they came back to the house.

That night Taemin didn’t visit her and Anna went to sleep feeling her heart a little heavy.

She had a hard time falling asleep and when she did something woke her up.

It was small sounds as if someone was whispering and something like a bed moving and an object falling.

She sat on the bed but only silence could be heard now besides the rhythmically singing of the bugs outside.

“Taemin?” she called in a whisper but no answer came. Instead she heard the light squeak of the first step of the stairs.

She recognized it because it always did that noise.

Anna covered herself with the covers her eyes on the door knob waiting to see it being turned around but it wasn’t. Nothing came for her and she sighed of relief ready to lie down on her bed again.

However that was when she felt someone watching her, someone she knew well, someone that released a scream of pain that made her cover her ears.

Anna stood up from her bed immediately, tripping on the messy covers and almost falling. The scream wouldn’t stop and she walked around the room with tears in her eyes. It was as if she was calling her, wanting her to see something.

Anna opened the door of her bedroom, ignoring Taemin warning and walked outside to the hallway that was empty and dark. She ran down the stairs with the scream following her.

Her only objective was to leave the house since she felt always better outside. Anna stumbled on the hallway and grabbed the main door key from over the table where her aunt always placed it.

Anna unlocked the door and ran outside, the scream stopping immediately. She let herself fall to the ground breathing hard. Her hands still on her ears.

The dogs were barking a lot and Anna only noticed once the scream stopped. She stood up, her pajama now dirty on her knees with dirt and walked to the kennels, the light of the moon illuminating her steps once the clouds let it.

She moved her hand on her temple and whispered words of comfort to the dogs that kept barking and crying as if they were scared with something.

“It’s alright…shush!” She tried to calm them, barely being able to see, now that the moon was keeping them in the dark.

When the moon was left uncovered she kept walking to the dogs, now able to see them. That was also when she saw at what they were barking. Her legs giving in on her a loud scream filling her ears again. This time she was the one screaming and crying.

Mijung was hanging from a tree just in front of her.

Anna eyes settled on her body swinging slightly, her dead eyes settled on her.

“I warned you!” Taemin’s voice made Anna shiver and she moved her teary eyes to the man hiding in the shadows. “He didn’t like her. She came to corrupt you!”

Anna blinked her eyes “She was my friend!”

Taemin didn’t answer because he immediately disappeared when the lights of the house and Anna’s aunt and uncle appeared outside.