Clear Waters

Belle Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

          ~I managed to fall asleep for a while after all, the exertion from the night's events had completely worn me out. I'd learned that fear was the most effective way to cause drowsiness- though I hardly wanted to relive the terror I'd felt again at least it held some benefit.

In the morning however, I was still covered in mud, and I smelled horrible. Even the sheep were keeping their distance, and I didn't exactly blame them. When Kyungsoo arrived at the field as the sun was rising he took one look at me before gasping in surprise.

"What happened to you?" He wondered, his soft voice edged with worry.

"I must look awful," I said, instead of directly answering his question.

"You do, in fact," Kyungsoo said with a kind laugh.

 "Most of us bathe in the lake by Jooheon's cave, and as much as I'm sure you are loathe to go over there, I can't help but think that it's for the best given your current condition. Even though Jooheon forbidden it I am sure he'll understand," he said.

"I'm not sure that his version of understanding is one that most would agree with, but you're right. I am in desperate need of a good washing.

I may as well just go in with my clothes, since they can do with being cleaned as well," I said, grimacing at the prospect of being within a closer proximity to my current nemesis but knowing I didn't have a choice if I ever wanted to smell human again.

"I'll fetch Talia and ask her to find you something else to wear. Your skirts are not practical for living in the wilds, and I've a feeling your clothes are irredeemable now anyhow."

 I looked down at my tattered and muddy dress and I was inclined to agree with him. Mud had dried and caked on top of my skin.

 When it had been wet, it was a dark, nearly black color, but now that it had dried, it turned ash gray- making me look like one of the ghosts from the stories my sisters had tried to scare me with as a child.

Even my hair was colored with it, and I wasn't exactly eager to trudge through the village in my current state.

 I already made the Aryan's feel ill at ease, and looking how I did now certainly wouldn't help to turn them in my favor.

 Besides, I had no guarantee that if I was spotted, I wouldn't be reported to Jooheon immediately, and I'd no wish to be berated or yelled at by him again. Still however, my desire to avoid him wasn't great enough to deny myself the feeling of being clean.

At least it was a relief to have allies in Kyungsoo and Talia. Hoping that I would be able to make it to the lake unnoticed, I followed Kyungsoo's advice and stuck to the outskirts of the village.

After making sure I watered the place where the rose stem was buried, I slunk behind the wooden beams and trees that held the houses of the Aryan's aloft, using them to hide myself whenever I heard anyone approach me.

 

When I finally saw the lake's clear waters, I peered from behind the rather wide and leafy tree I was currently using to shield myself from any unwelcome eyes.

 I checked to see if there was anyone around, or anyone already bathing in the lake.

The water in the lake was cool and refreshing. As soon as I breached the surface I breathed a sigh of relief. I could see the evidence of how dirty I had been floating around me like a cloud, and so I waded away from it as if I could leave behind the memory of last night altogether. I cleaned every inch of me, and it took an egregious amount of time to remove the mud from my curly hair.

 My skirts, for I was still wearing them, were hindering my movement, and I longed to take them off.

In the end, as much as I would have liked to stay longer, I didn't want to linger just in case I got caught. I was well aware that I was dangerously close to where Jooheon lived.

Realizing with a groan that in my hurry to bathe I hadn't brought anything to dry myself off with, I settled on the fact that I'd need to sneak back to the field while dripping wet. I decided just to leave my shoes off, as I'd rushed into the water wearing them as well, and I didn't want to slosh all the way back to the pasture.

I began to hear the sounds of people approaching near the lake, and hastily carrying my wet shoes I stuck behind one of the giant trees that lined the lake that served to give it a modicum of privacy.

But just as I'd clung to its trunk to avoid detection I heard the whir of air being disturbed right next to me.

Leaping down from one of the trees was a graceful animal.

It looked similar to Jooheon, only it was a golden color, and leaner with many dark spots on its fur. Gracefully, the animal slunk closer to me, golden eyes staring at me dangerously until it suddenly changed into a woman who almost matched the creature in ferocity.

 I doubted I'd ever get use to the sight of the Aryan's when they changed.

Her body contorted and shifted, fur disappearing and limbs stretching. The only thing that remained constant in her appearance were her glaring eyes, though they had changed from gold to a honey-brown.

 I winced a little. I was pretty sure that she wasn't going to be as kind as Talia or Kyungsoo. Her features were sharp, and her hair was black and long making her look almost as dangerous as her animal form.

"So you are the Stone Dweller that has been the center of gossip lately. I heard you were not permitted to come here," she said.

As an introduction it was sort of pathetic. I doubted it was very difficult to identify me, but I was starting to really resent being called a Stone Dweller instead of by my name.

I wondered if he had told this woman about me, and that was why I was being treated with such hostility now.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter