Battlegrounds

Belle Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Morning came far too soon. I dreaded the sunlight that filtered through the canopy and into the cave, and resented how it tickled my nose, forcing me to wake from my comfortable sleep.

I was surprised at how well I had slept despite the fact that I was frightened at what the dawn would bring, but I attributed it to the fact that Jooheon was sleeping beside me.

Watching him as he held on to the last precious moments of whatever it was he was dreaming about, and it seemed to me in that instant that he was the most human I'd ever seen him.

Perhaps it was a little odd to perceive him so, when he undoubtedly still looked like every bit the wolf he usually did without even the luxury of a voice to prove his humanity.

Yet there was something about his expression and the manner in which he lay that was completely familiar to me.

I suppose it could have been because only the night before he'd confessed his love for me in such a heartfelt way, and that was why I felt so differently looking at him now.

"If you stare at someone so intensely it's bound to make them feel uncomfortable Rose," I heard him speak suddenly and I was startled.

His eyelids hadn't so much as fluttered, and I never suspected he might be awake.

"I'm sorry," I quickly apologized, utterly mortified that I'd been caught.

"That's unlike you Rose, saying you're sorry before making an excuse for yourself," he chuffed his laughter.

"What excuse can I make for myself when I'm guilty of what you say?"

"It would have served to make things a little less awkward. I admit I'm not exactly sure how to press forward after last night, or even how to go about it. Although given present circumstances, it's probably best to wait until tomorrow to answer those questions," he admitted.

"You are confident there will be a tomorrow. I admit I'm not so sure," I muttered.

"Being defeatist will hardly help us now. My uncle may have many men, and the advantage of steel on his side. But we have a plan, a good one. And he is completely out of his element here. I must have faith that we stand a fighting chance."

"And yet Jooheon, you were so quick to foretell your death only last night. Why the change of heart?"

"It's quite simple really. I have always had reasons to live on, practical things like my family and the Aryan's. But this is the first time that I've truly wanted to live on for myself, just to see what tomorrow will bring with you."

His sentiment was so utterly romantic that it made me very embarrassed, and I could feel myself turning a profound shade of red to rival my hair.

 Honestly, I had nothing to say that could even remotely equal the passion that he had just shared with me, so instead I felt it best to simply embrace him. I didn't know what I possibly could have done to deserve such a kindness.

Our moment of peace was brief however, since we both knew that the women and children would be leaving any time and I wanted to see them off safely.

We left the cave to a beautiful morning. It was as if the sky didn't know what terrible things were brewing here on land.

I saw my family in the distance and leaving Jooheon to speak with his people I pushed my way through the crowds to them.

Both of my sisters looked incredibly anxious about the journey to come, since even though they were being protected by a number of very capable Aryan women, if we should fail the chances that the Duke would find and decimate any survivors was likely.

 "You aren't really going to stay here are you sister?" Lily asked, a look of concern on her sweet face.

 I wrapped my arms around her and nodded into her chest.

"I know it isn't the safest decision, and that I'm acting rashly again. But there are so many reasons for me to stay. I want to protect this place because it is my home, and because I feel responsible for bringing the Duke here in the first place. I know it is unfair of me to stay with the one I love while so many must part ways, but I am afraid that should I go with you the Duke would surely pursue you if we are to fail. He is not the biggest fan of me at the moment."

"You better protect her, do you hear me?" Lily cried out to Jooheon, who was giving last minute instructions to Talia and Yura. He obviously had heard her, as he offered her a bow of his head in response before turning back to his conversation.

I offered my father a kiss on the cheek, and watched as a tear fell down his face.

"You know, it wasn't so long ago that you chastised me for walking feet first into a dangerous situation, and I can't help but want to do the same to you. I only know that my pleas would be just as ineffective as yours were then, so I shall save my breath for the trek ahead," he mumbled, wiping away at his eyes before holding me so tightly I could scarcely breathe.

"I love you my girl. You are everything your mother foretold when she chose your name, protecting the beauty of this place with all of your might, as small as you may be."

I found myself tearing up then as well, and couldn't help but break some of the tension with what was perhaps a poorly executed joke.

"Well let's hope I sting as well as a real Rose, or I might be in some trouble."

A horn sounded at the front of the group that signalled that they would be moving out, and after embracing my family a last time I made my way to Talia to say farewell to her.

"You watch out for Jooheon will you? I hate that I can't be here with him," she said sadly.

 I assured her that I would do my best and continued to wave goodbye until the last of the women and children had departed for a safer haven.

 They carried only sacks of food and water, leaving everything precious to them behind, and I vowed to myself that I would protect their homes until they could return to them.

With what little time we had until the Duke arrived, we busied ourselves setting up every possible trap that we could.

Ropes and triggers, animal traps and trip wires made of thin string were put up all around the village, and even deeper into the wilds. The sickle vines and wild animals could only be counted on as a small deterrent given the fact that the Duke had encountered them before, and would have almost certainly prepared his men for them at least a little.

Our tactic was to rely heavily on the element of surprise, since although they might have learned a little of the wilds, there would no doubt still be a strong superstition among the men the Duke would be bringing. Traps would help to reinforce a state of random chaos and panic while doing as little harm to the soldiers as possible. Although I at least hoped that some of the men would be scared enough to retreat, depleting their numbers.

Our other strategy, and one which I felt extremely confident in, was using the special gift the Aryan's possessed to our full advantage. They were magical after all, and as animals, could easily blend in the forest much more readily than a normal soldier.

It was not quite evening when we received news of the Duke's men drawing nearer. They had been obviously aiming for the cover of night under the impression it would give them the advantage.

Kyungsoo had flown over their camp, and returned to report to Jooheon what he'd seen as quickly as he could, breathing quite heavily.

"There's at least 300 in their number, and Taehyung is amongst them. They're resting now, waiting for the night to come since travelling through the woods by day is safer. Now they're resting after marching since yesterday," Kyungsoo explained.

 Jooheon thought for a moment before answering.

"Send some of our swifter people to sling whatever they can at them. The less rest they get the better. Exhausted soldiers will make for an easier fight if it comes down to it," he said, and Kyungsoo flew off to do as he was told.

"So it begins," he sighed to me, resting his head on my shoulder.

I ran my fingers through his fur in an attempt to be comforting, though I couldn't hide the fact that they were trembling from him.

"You're frightened'" he said sadly.

 It wasn't even a question.

"Yes, but we've a good plan and Taehyung on our side. I keep telling myself we're going to win."

"If there is any sign of trouble I want you to leave. If for a moment you think that the battle will turn out for the worst, and if I am lost you must run away from here as fast as you can. My uncle won't hesitate to have you dead."

"You said I could stay!" I protested, a little angrily.

"And you can stay. But if I should die I would hate for you to see it. And if, stone forbid, anything should happen to you I would not have the strength to fight on. It is better this way. Please don't argue with me."

I could accept the truth behind what he was saying, even though I didn't want to- and so I silenced the part of me that wanted to stubbornly refuse in favor of just nodding my head.

The sound of armoured boots on the earth in the distance began to sound, like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter