Confessions

Belle Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~I slept uneasily that night. I worried about how the Aryan's would accept the truth of Jooheon`s past.

He seemed to believe that it would not go over well with most, and he had confided that he was worried that the leadership he had worked so hard to achieve would be taken from him.

Still I didn't think that he would be abandoned by his people. Even if he had been born the son of their greatest enemy he had been raised and lived amongst them for most of his life.

When I went to Jooheon's cave in the morning my reflection in the lake was far from favorable. My eyes were weighed down with dark circles that one could probably spot from the other side of the village, and no matter how much I tried I couldn't seem to get rid of them.

I didn't want Jooheon to think they were caused by what he had shown me last night because that was the last thing he needed to think about now.

As I had walked the short distance from my cottage to the cage the commotion in the village had already began. I could hear the Aryan's whispering promises of a gathering that afternoon. They buzzed with excitement, though I was fairly sure that once the reason for the meeting came into light their excitement would soon change to an emotion a great deal less positive.

I called out into the cave before I entered as a courtesy, Jooheon bidding me to enter from his position nearest the little pool of water at the back.

I walked in looking as cheerful as possible, though it was pretty obvious that he was feeling as uncomfortable about the forthcoming gathering as I was.

"Are you well this morning?" he asked, trying to break the awkwardness with a bland question. I nodded with a shrug.

"As well as possible given the circumstances."

"You're not the one doing the truth-telling so I don't know why you'd be bothered," he said sarcastically.

"True enough, but if it goes poorly I'll be the one to blame since I suggested it in the first place."

"Suggested wisely," was his kind reply, though his sigh betrayed his nervousness.

 I sat by him for a while, speaking about the progress of my rose in an attempt to take his mind off of things, though it seemed as though I wasn't good at being a distraction. His eyes still looked troubled no matter how much he tried to pay attention to what I was saying.

 Finally sick of watching him try to unsuccessfully act nonchalant, I stopped to flick him on his big nose.

 He winced uncomfortably.

"You're brooding so much your face might stick that way," I teased, using the same words my father used to tell my sisters when they were in a particularly foul mood- normally when they didn't receive something they wanted.

I smirked a little at the memory, finding myself missing them more than I'd anticipated.

As usual Jooheon could read my face well enough to know that something was bothering me, and he looked at me questioningly.

"I was thinking of home," I explained without him needing to ask.

"Do you miss it?"

"I told you already that I have no plans of returning just yet. I have plenty of things to do here- helping you included. I have faith I will see them again, and when Taehyung returns I am certain he will have news of father."

"You put a great deal of faith in my brother. Are you so certain that he will come back?" he asked, still doubtful of his brother's honor.

"I guarantee it, though I haven't any real reason to- but then again, you think so to don't you?"

He grinned toothily at my observation and I was pleased to find I may have been able to distract him after all.

He looked outside then, remarking on the time of day before groaning again.

"Cheer up. Just imagine how relieved you'll feel telling the truth to everyone. My father used to say keeping secrets starts to eat you up from the inside out until you tell someone. I never understood what he meant, but I see how telling me of your past has made you- gentler somehow."

Jooheon snorted.

"I'm hardly gentle, but I know what your father must have meant. It seems he had bucket-loads of advice for you, and I'm glad you feel fit to share it. But let us be done with this talk. Someone else very wise told me that I ought to accept my past, and that's what I intend on doing," he said as he got to his feet.

 I walked next to him to the village square, where a great crowd of Aryan's had already gathered, eagerly awaiting whatever it was that Jooheon was going to say.

I leaned over him to whisper in his ear.

"You're clearly loved by them. I think you'll find that the reception of the truth will be far less disastrous than you imagine it will be."

I could tell he was hoping I was right, but his expression was full of skepticism as he stepped up to the front of the crowd.

 I did not follow.

 His truth was his alone and I'd no right to accompany him while he said it.

"My friends, I stand before you today to share with you the answer to a riddle you've all been trying to solve since I arrived here so many moons ago. My origins I have kept secret for my own protection, but it has since become an action that I regret," he began calmly.

 I noticed Talia standing together near the back of the crowd with her mother.

It was clear that all they were concerned, their arms were intertwined and they where muttering to themselves.

 I had to admit that I felt a little guilty learning the truth before they did.

For all intents and purposes they were Jooheon's family- they had raised him and protected him from the dangers of the wilds.

 I hoped with all of my might that they wouldn't hate him for what he was.

He couldn't help who his parents were anymore than I could.

"I have always considered myself one of your people, but that doesn't change the fact that I am not- regardless of how I wish it were so. Of course many of you have wondered what I was when I first arrived, though after some time you gave me the courtesy of overlooking it. All I ask is that you treat me in the same manner you always have."

I saw him take a deep breath before divulging his great secret to his people.

 He looked at me then, a brief expression of terror in his eyes. I couldn't very well call out to him, but I flashed him the most reassuring smile I could muster.

"I am the eldest son of the our deceased Imperial King of Fiore, the enemy of your ancestors, cursed to this form and cast aside as an infant. I know not how or why, only that my father hated me for what I was and wanted to be rid of me. I hold no love for him, nor any love for Fiore for my true home will always be here. I kept this truth from you so that you would not hate me for it. I ask for your forgiveness and understanding in this matter, although if you choose not to grant it I would understand."

The silence that had once washed over the Aryan's was no more.

They erupted in outraged cries of disbelief and anger.

Jooheon's head was cast down towards the ground, ready and willing to accept the punishment that his people would demand.

They shouted out questions so quickly that he could hardly answer them, his ears twitching as they tried to focus on one voice or another.

 He wasn't even able to respon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter