Cursed Prince

Belle Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

          ~It was clear that Jooheon was angry with me, and I cursed my poor luck.

 It had seemed as though I had begun to mend the mistrust that he had for me, and now that this new Stone Dweller had appeared all of the trust I'd gained with him had plummeted.

Using his enormous head to push me forward, he urged me to go with him, though it was clear I had no choice in the matter.

We walked away from the bonfires and back towards his cave where I assume he felt that he would be given privacy enough to interrogate me.

 I was afraid, since regardless of what questions he asked of me I wouldn't have the right answers. I had no idea who was in the woods, and it was a possibility that this new man's presence could simply have been a coincidence.

 Still, I had an uncomfortable feeling that it wasn't, and I'd be held entirely responsible for the situation.

If he could have, I was sure that he would have dragged me inside after him. As it was, I decided it would probably be for the best if this once, I didn't give him any argument.

Stepping into a dark cave didn't seem to be the brightest idea, especially since I was fairly certain that if he had any intentions of doing away with me, getting me alone in a place like that would make it awfully easy for him.

I seriously hoped that getting rid of me wasn't part of his plan, but I also figured that he would do anything to protect his people if he deemed it necessary.

But as soon as I saw what was inside the cave my heart was immediately put at ease. The walls were alight, like there were hundreds of tiny stars scattered across their surface.

But the most beautiful thing of all were the roses.

I had no idea how he'd managed to grow them inside a cave until I looked above me, and saw that part of the cave roof was an opening that would allow sunlight to shine through during the daytime.

Now, the glowing walls envied the stars above and the sight got me to thinking about the night before, when I had spoken with the wolf.

 As rash as ever, I decided to voice my opinions, regardless of the consequences.

"When we spoke last night, you told me the pasture was the only place you could see the stars. But I think you've a far better view of them from here. Why did you really go there?"

I asked despite the fact that I really should have kept quiet given my situation.

"Because I didn't trust you, and just when I thought perhaps you weren't like all the other Stone Dwellers, I was proven wrong again," he said angrily.

"But I didn't do anything wrong! I told you, I have no idea who's in the wilds and I never led them here. No matter what you think I had nothing to do with this, and I haven't done anything since I got here to suggest that I mean you or your people any harm. "

I protested, frustrated at the fact that I was beginning to think that the two of us would never find common ground.

"You really don't know anything do you?" he scoffed the question so forcefully that it was clear he meant it as an insult.

"Maybe not, but I'm willing to at least learn, unlike you. You need to stop being so stubborn and temperamental. Perhaps it would be wise to stop and think before flying off the handle!"

"Perhaps it would be wise if you followed your own advice, or does your adventure from yesterday elude your memory?" Of course, he would bring that up to rub in my face now.

If only to escape his sharp gaze, I moved away from him towards the cave wall in order to rest against it.

 I was exhausted from arguing already and there was no end to it in sight.

Yet as I reached to place my hand against the wall, the small, glowing specks of light burst into motion around me, flying this way and that until I could barely keep track of them with my eyes any longer.

 I could feel the tension that had built up in my heart release as I watched, entranced while the little lights circled around me to bathe me in a yellow glow.

I let out a little gasp of pleasure as I spun about, trying my best to catch one in my hands to no avail.

It was a moment before I felt Jooheon's eyes on me, their blue light just as bright as the yellow in the dark.

I spun around to face him, only to notice that his expression had softened a little, and I wondered if the little lights had entranced him too.

"What are they?" I asked as they continued to hover around the cave, my rage at his previous comment temporarily forgotten.

"Fireflies. They seem to like it in here, and no matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of them,"

"I don't see why you'd want to. They're beautiful- your whole home is. That could be why I find it difficult to understand how you treat me as you do. It's clear you have a respect for living things, you love your people, these fireflies and just look at your roses! So why is it that you would let a Stone Dweller, who has never done you any harm, remain lost and alone in the middle of the wilds at night?"

I could personally attest to how frightening that situation was, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

"I am telling the truth when I say I have no idea who would be foolish enough to enter the wilds, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't do everything in my power to help anyone in that situation."

Jooheon walked up to one of the rose bushes, resting his nose on one of the larger blossoms.

I could practically see my words rushing through his head, and I almost thought he looked ashamed at his behavior.

My words had been harsh, that was true, but I didn't feel guilty about them.

Someone had to show the stubborn beast the error of his ways, and it was clear that the task fell to me, since I doubted any of the Aryan's would attempt to do so- even Talia or Kyungsoo.

It wasn't as if I couldn't comprehend how deep their scars were- scars that my people had created long ago.

(Yet the actions of my ancestors hadn't defined me.)

 Perhaps it had shaped some, but I had always been unique in Fiore, never able to be grouped in with women like my sisters- whom I loved dearly but could not relate to.

"My reasons for hating are my own. Still, you are right. I cannot leave him at the mercy of the wilds. But hear this Rose, he owes his life to you, and should he harm my people, you must also pay a price," Jooheon said gruffly, heading back outside of the cave again.

"Stay here, and stay out of trouble. I have no intention of rescuing you too, and I'll need you here to set this stranger's mind at ease," he finished, turning his head back to face me.

I simply nodded.

 I couldn't be angry at him now, not when he was doing what I'd wanted him to do in the first place. It seemed like he planned on believing me for the moment, and I had no intention of doing anything to change that.

I was treading on a narrow rope, just like the ones the circus entertainers in Fiore used, and if I lost my footing with him even for an instant, I had a feeling we would be arguing again.

I was on edge while he was gone, though for what I wasn't certain.

Jooheon was extremely confident about his success in the wilds, as if he had no fear.

 Yet I was unsure if his attitude was courageous or foolhardy. I knew I'd seen too little of the place to truly comprehend all of the dangers it held, but I'd discovered enough to be wary.

Perhaps it was a little silly to be worried about a beast that was just as fearsome as whatever dangers lurked in the wilds, and maybe I should have been more concerned about the Stone Dweller.

 Still, if anything happened to Jooheon because I made him feel guilty enough to go into the wilds at night, I would only have myself to blame.

I walked inside around the cave, amusing myself with the fireflies that hovered around me. It was as if the tiny creatures were trying to comfort me in their own small way.

It would have been almost impossible for me not to notice when Jooheon returned.

 The loud shouting from the Stone Dweller who he'd brought back with him echoed through the trees and pierced through the sounds of the forest at night.

"Let go of me you monster!"

The voice insisted as it drew close enough for me to make out the words being spoken.

 I could only imagine how angry Jooheon was, and as he entered the cave I winced a little in anticipation of being yelled at.

He held the man in his mouth as if he was a child, and at first I was worried that he'd bitten into his flesh in order to carry him. But when he dropped the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter