How do you know him?

Heartless or Afraid?

I closed my eyes as I lay on the floor of my living room.

No, their living room.

I sighed deeply.

Ouch.

The pain in my ribs shot through me as my chest took in the air from my sigh.

It was usually like this.

Umma got really angry that I didn’t say anything when we got home. Appa was furious I showed weakness in-front of others. So they did what they normally did.

They abused me.

Now they were in their room, discussing what they should do with a worthless girl like me.

“Boarding school?” Umma said from the other room “No, then we would be wasting our money on her…”

“What about we sent her…” I tuned them out and attempted to sit up.

I winced when the pain shot through me again but I managed to stand up straight eventually.

I gathered up the torn black dress and made my way painfully up the stairs, whimpering now and then from the bruises.

I steered myself towards the mirror and looked at the girl that gazed back at me.

Her hair was protruding messily out from her head and her lips were red and bleeding. The black dress she wore was torn around the hem and the straps were coming off. The visible skin on her arms, face and legs all had bruises.

I grimaced. Appa usually doesn’t do this much damage, maybe a few- or a lot- of bruises but never this bad.

Like I said, maybe he was in a bad mood.

I walked into the shower and let the hot water run over my aching body, easing the pain almost instantly. After a good clean up, I was brushing my hair in the mirror when something caught my eye. I furrowed my eyebrows.

Now wearing baggy sweatpants and a tee, I walked over to the balcony on my sore legs and leaned over the concrete.

“Jae Hwa” he called my name softly and he looked up. (A/N: Romeo and Juliette much? lol)

I looked down to him. It was the boy from before.

He had dark brown hair and a tall, muscular build. His big brown eyes were framed with long, black lashes and he was wearing grey sweatpants, a matching jacket and a white singlet.

He looked familiar…

“Jae Hwa, it’s me, from the funeral…” he trailed off

Oh right, he was the guy that talked to me earlier…

Well, what did he want here?

“Hang on, I’m coming up” he whispered up to me. I furrowed my eyes.

And how would he exactly do that?

He looked at me mischievously, glancing from side to side then, gracefully, he latched onto the big oak near my house and started to climb it.

He scaled the trunk easily, his smooth gestures making almost no sound as he glided up to my small white balcony.

He sat on a thick branch of the tree that was close to the faded white railing. He watched me as I sat down on the painted wrought iron chair and twirled around random bit of hair in my fingers. I stared out into the street as he approached me, stopping a few feet away and leaning on the railings. He continued to gaze at me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I monitored him.

He had his hands in his pockets and he was leaning casually against the iron, his body facing the glass doors that led to my room. He had his head turned to me, watching me carefully as if I was some kind of glass that would break at any moment.

I turned to him, making the slightest eye contact possible and tucked my long hair behind my ear.

“Why are you here?” I asked timidly, afraid he might be one of Appa’s associates who might hit me.

He chuckled slightly, looking at me with his forever kind gaze. “Can’t I visit you?” his deep voice was just above a whisper as he leaned in close to my face to see my eyes.

I shrank back, still afraid of this man.

He couldn’t be more than 18 years old, but his arms were solid and his body was well build…he could take me down in an instant.

His gaze softened and he smiled slightly “You don’t need to be afraid. I’m not going to hurt you…”

That’s exactly what he said. That guy…when he said he wouldn’t…but he did…

The man in-front of me took his hand and placed it on mine. I flinched.

“Really, I’m not like Seungho hyung”

I stayed silent.

HOW DID HE KNOW HIM???

“You’re wondering how I know him aren’t you?” he said, the sides of his mouth pulled up into the brightest smile I ever saw in my life.

I gawked at him for a moment. That smile really was the happiest smile I had ever seen. Appa wore bitter or sour ones and umma gave me dark threatening ones, usually while she was beating me or we were in public. His was genuine… and totally mesmerising.

He pulled up another chair and sat on it, facing me and resting his forearms on the top of his knees. His face was low, almost lower than mine, as he bore into my eyes.

“I know what happened Jae Hwa” he whispered softly to me.

Who was this guy? I didn’t even know his name and yet he knew so much about me!

“What’s your name?” I asked suddenly, the silence broken by my timid voice.

He smiled again, his eye smile. I stared at his face.

“Lee Joon. And I’ll tell you how I know Seungho hyung while I’m talking too.” he half smiled.

I don’t know why, he could have been one of Appa’s spies, but at that moment, I absolutely trusted him.

Joon.