Seven

The Delusion of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai had not even bothered to change out of his half-ed collar shirt and loosely knotted skinny tie, both of which showed wrinkled evidence of the previous night’s adventures. There was a persistent ringing in the air, loud enough to awaken him from his sleep-deprived slumber. A moan was all he could muster as he reached blindly towards his nightstand, hoping to silence the unbearable sound. Instead, he managed to knock his cellphone onto the floor.

Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, Kai stumbled out of bed and crouched down to find the source of the ringing. Just before his fingertips had made contact with the phone, a surge of memories hit him square in the chest, knocking the wind right out of him. He tried to calm himself down, but the panic continued its unrelenting ascent, climbing up his throat, suffocating him. The overwhelming sensation was exacerbated by the sound of the alarm. But he was too scared to turn it off.

Several minutes passed before he found the courage to reach for his cell phone, making sure to touch only the power button on the edge of the device, without contacting the glass screen. The silence that followed was even more disconcerting.

Closing his eyes tightly, Kai tried to find an escape from the traumatizing reality. But his mind perseverated on images of blood stained concrete and twisted metal. Suddenly, he saw Luhan’s face. The fair skinned boy was smiling up at him with glassy eyes, whispering something that was impossible to hear.

The image vanished as quickly as it had come, leaving Kai even more distraught. He cried out in pain as his eyes flashed open. It was only then that he realized that the black curtains were back, hanging precariously from a set of insecure hooks above the windowpane. Luhan hasn’t been here yet. Grasping onto that tiny ray of hope, Kai jumped to his feet and ran forward towards the window, parting the fabric so that he could see outside.

The street below looked untouched. There was no sign of an accident. No debris. No skid marks. No blood stained concrete. Had the rain washed it all away? But that was the other thing that was missing. The rain. There was no sign of it whatsoever. The road was dry.

A flood of relief began to wash over him as he began to realize what it all meant. I’ve gone back in time again. Luhan is still alive. The feeling was overwhelming. Without wasting another second, he began to gather the essentials from around his apartment: his wallet, his keys, and without touching its screen, his cell phone. He had been given another chance, and this time, he was determined not to waste it.

A troubling thought occurred to him as soon as he climbed into his car. Unlike last time, Luhan had not come knocking at his apartment door. Maybe he’s avoiding the intersection. It only made sense that he would remember the accident this time, since Kai remembered it as well. I have to find him.

Unsure of where to go, he began to drive to the only place he cou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter