Three

The Delusion of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before he knew what he was doing, Kai ran out from underneath the shade of the bus stop and threw himself into Luhan’s arms. The rain seemed to wash away his troubles momentarily, but the relief was short lived.

“I’m scared,” admitted Kai, burying his eyes into Luhan’s shoulder as he was hit with a tidal wave of emotions. “And I don’t even know why.”

“We can leave if you’d like,” replied Luhan, gently guiding his companion back towards the bench under the shade.

“Leave? Where would we go?”

“You can take us back.”

“Back where? I don’t even have my house keys. Or my wallet. Or any form of identification. I feel so disoriented. This street looks so familiar, but something about it just doesn’t make any sense.” Kai pointed towards the half-completed office space across the street. “That building should be built already. I drive by it every day when I go to work. Tell me I’m not going crazy.”

Luhan stared out at the construction site. “It looks exactly like it did last night. You told me I should get a job there when it was done being built. Don’t you remember?”

Kai’s eyes widened into circles as the faint recollection drifted back into his consciousness. “That’s right! You told me you were leaving in a few days, to go back to China. You said you had to get back to your job.”

Luhan nodded. “You walked me to this bus stop from the restaurant. We had to share your umbrella because I had forgotten mine at my apartment.”

Kai shook his head in confusion. “Why didn’t we just take my car? I could’ve just driven you home.”

“Because we weren’t going home. We were going to the concert, and you said the parking there would be terrible, so we decided to take the bus.”

Before Kai could respond, blinding headlights approached from the left. Soon, the familiar screech of brakes filled the air as a bus stopped in front of them.

Luhan automatically stood up and walked forward. He was held back by Kai, who had reached out and gripped his wrist.

“Where are you going?” he asked, anxiety rising up into his throat just at the thought of being left alone in this alternate reality.

Luhan pulled forward with all his might, dragging Kai up from his seat. “I think w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter