Five

The Delusion of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What are you talking about?” asked Kai, releasing Luhan’s hand.

Luhan stared silently at the thin boy as he stood up and walked slowly towards the window.

Just before he reached the glass, Kai turned around and met Luhan’s eyes. “There’s something you aren’t telling me,” he said, with a hint of accusation in his voice. “Whatever it is that you’ve just realized, I deserve to know.”

Luhan followed Kai’s lead and arose from the edge of the bed. But instead of walking towards his companion, he quietly walked the opposite way, towards the door. “I have to go back.”

“Go back where?!” exclaimed Kai, as panic climbed up into his throat.

“My memory’s all cloudy,” replied Luhan, without turning around. “But I think there was a car accident. My brother was injured. That’s why I had to leave and go back to China early.”

Kai raised his eyebrows. “Your brother?”

“My parents adopted him when I was 5 years old, from Korea. They thought we looked alike. We still do.”

“I’m so sorry,” whispered Kai. “Is he gonna be okay?”

Luhan felt salty tears flood his eyes. “He is okay! The accident hasn’t even happened yet! If I get back to China in time, maybe I can keep him from getting hurt!”

Kai’s eyes widened. “Isn’t that dangerous? You can’t just change the future!”

Undeterred, Luhan reached for the doorknob. “We’re already changing the future, just by being here. I have to follow my instincts, Jongin-ah. I can’t just ignore these memories. Maybe they’re coming back to me for a reason! Maybe that’s why you brought me back in time!”

“That doesn’t make any sense,” replied Kai, shaking his head in disbelief. “I didn’t even know you had a brother! Besides, why do you have to go all the way back to China to protect him? Can’t you just call him and tell him to stay at home?”

“I can’t find my phone!” yelled Luhan, walking through the doorway and breaking out into a sprint. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter