08 | The Gesture

My Perfect Stranger
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
I plug my earphones to my ears and press the play button of my iPod, letting one of BEAST's song to play. I sit on the empty bench and heave a sigh as I stare at the evening sky from the backyard of the apartment building.

I just found this place at the morning when I went out to buy something for breakfast yesterday and I thought this place would be a good one for me to seek for inspiration because I could see the sky and feel the breeze here.
 
Even after two days Junhyung still refuses to talk with me. He doesn't even come to my room even though he said he would come again to discuss about the song.
 
I managed to finish a new song but I need him to check the notes as he needs to add the rap parts along. I have no idea how to tell him since I don't have his phone numbers and I don't think it's a good idea to come to his apartment; it means I'm going to meet the rest of BEAST as well.
 
Is the question really affects him that great?
 
"Since I need to hide your identity due to your request, I also have a condition you need to stick with," President Hong looked at me with a smile. "Can you agree with it?"
 
I frowned and asked him, "Depends on what condition you're talking about."
 
"Do you know that Junhyung was once in a relationship with Hara?" he asked me a surprising question. What did this has to do with my work?
 
I nodded and he continued with another question, "I believe you also know that Yoseob is engaged to Kim Sora, their personal photograher."
 
Once again I nodded to him, "What is this going to do with my job as their music composer?"
 
"Being an idol means being a role model. Their fans are their pillars to stand tall. During the moments of their relationships, there were so many things need to be managed since fans could be really surprising in times," President Hong started to explain. "A girl works around BEAST is not a good idea to start with."
 
"Rima, I promise to hide your identity as long as you stay as Junhyung's cousin. Only as his cousin," he emphasized the 'only' word with serious expression. "I can't tolerate any rumors between you and BEAST's members because your identity will be revealed to the public if that happens. Are we deal here?"
 
For seconds, I looked at President Hong with curiosity. I found it ridiculous; wasn't it too cliche?
 
Two strangers met and they fell in love? This wasn't a romantic movie so that would never happen. At least not between me and Junhyung.
 
Sora and Yoseob were... a special case. Yes, I believed it was like that.
 
After all both Junhyung and I had agreed to help each other when we only needed helps. Other than that we had promised to stick as strangers so none of others would figure out we were hiding the truth of helping each other in secret.
 
"Deal," I answered him firmly, knowing that would be nothing happen between me and Junhyung.
 
Or whoever I knew from BEAST.
 
Being a girl with curiosity, I couldn't help myself to wonder why President Hong was really worried about having a rumor among his artists. Since Sora and Yoseob were still in a good relationship, I assumed that something between Junhyung and Hara would be one his reasons of making a deal with me.
 
Came to think of it, I wanted to know why they broke up at the first place. Both of them were idols, both of them could have whatever they wanted, and both of them looked good together.
 
Therefore I asked him in person when he's accompanying me for composing a song two days ago.
 
I don't get it. Why does he need to be like this when I only asked him a question?
 
My sense tells me that someone is approaching me so I lower down my gaze to look who it is.
 
 
✗ Lee Gikwang ✗
 
I look outside of the window; it's 5 PM already and I have finished my schedule today with the others. My eyes stop on the soccer ball I put at the corner of my room.
 
Perhaps a little practice of soccer will be good for me. It's been a while since the last time I played soccer and I doubt that I can play regularly in the future since we're going to prepare for our new album soon.
 
I stand up from my bed and grab the soccer ball, heading out from my room. When I walk pass the main room, I find Junhyung is laying down on the sofa, covering his eyes with one of his arms while his iPhone is right next to his head and a song is played from his favorite gadget.
 
"Yah, Junhyung," I squat down and shake his shoulders slightly. "Why are you sleeping outside?"
 
He groans slightly and opens his eyes, looking at me with tired eyes, "I'm not sleeping. I'm just... taking a rest."
 
I examine his face but I can't figure out whether he is telling me the truth or not. I guess he has a problem with Rima because since two days ago, he never excused himself to meet Rima, unlike the previous nights.
 
Honestly I am wondering what kind of cousin relationship they have since Rima never joined us for lunch or dinner. Junhyung always tried to avoid the topic about Rima by telling us that it's inappropriate to talk about her when she's not with us.
 
Whatever happens between them, I think it makes Junhyung's mood to turn out really bad. He is indeed the one who looks scary when he is not smiling compared to the other members but he is actually a shy person who doesn't know how to show his affection.
 
After almost 4 years working in a group with him, I'm pretty sure that I know that the reason behind his silence lately is because of Rima.
 
The last time I saw him like this is when he broke up with Hara two months ago. That time all of us were dumbfounded; we tried our best to cheer him up but it wasn't easy.
 
His heart was broken into pieces. Despite the fact that I knew how hurt it was, I was not good enough to help him.
 
As time passed, Junhyung returned to his old self and we managed to act as usual once again, forgetting the issue between him and Hara. Sometimes he's the one who brought up the topic unconsciously but he's good enough to shrug off the topic now.
 
"Junhyung, did something happen between you and Rima?" I dare myself to ask him, hoping that his mood will not become worse. "I haven't seen her for days, you know."
 
Junhyung helps himself to sit up and sighs, "Nothing. I'm tired."
 
He leaves me and walks back to his own room, grabbing his iPhone along. Knowing that he needs his time to be alone, I watch him enters his room before I leave our apartment with my soccer ball.
 
I head to the backyard of the apartment building, the only field I can use to practice soccer alone. There is a bench there and a big tree next to the bench. I usually spend my free times at the backyard when I want to feel the outdoor atmosphere.
 
For my surprise, Rima is sitting on the bench, listening to her iPod alone. She notices my presence and looks back at me for seconds before she stands up and turns off her iPod.
 
"Hey," I smile politely to her as she takes off her earphone. "It's a good place here, right?"
 
Rima doesn't answer me but her eyes are locked on the soccer ball in my hand. My smile changes wider as I show her the ball, "Ah, I always practice soccer here alone when I have free time."
 
I start to do some movements to show her my skill. I do the lifting and feel satisfied that she is looking at me with wide eyes. Unfortunately I lose my balance and the ball goes up to high.
 
"Ah!" I try to catch the ball but I'm not fast enough to stop the ball from hitting the clueless Rima. Lucky enough, the ball doesn't hit her head too hard.
 
"Aigoo... I'm sorry, Rima," I pick up the ball and step closer to her. "Are you alright? Is it hurt?"
 
"It's alright," she takes off her black-thick rimmed glasses and rubs her temple. "It's nothing serious."
 
This is the second time I see her without her glasses. The first time is when I found her in Junhyung's bed room around a week ago.
 
Just like what I thought, she looks great without her glasses. I don't think beautiful is a word to describe it though.
 
When she is going to wear the glasses again, I quickly stop her by grabbing her wrist gently, "W-Wait!"
 
 
✗ Kim Rima ✗
 
I was really surprised when the ball hit me but I'm more surprised when Gikwang suddenly stops me from putting on my glasses. I took it off because the ball made the position of my glasses wrong.
 
"What is it?" I ask him, feeling uncomfortable now. I tilt my head, waiting for Gikwang to explain what he is doing.
 
It's not that I don't want to act friendly towards him but I don't feel any need to be too close with him. Or the other members of BEAST.
 
Befriending one idol is enough. Befriending two idols in the same time is totally not a good decision to do. Not to mention about how friendly Gikwang is trying towards me.
 
I never expected him to buy something for someone who he just knew. Fine, maybe it's because he thinks I am Junhyung's cousin so he acts really nice to me.
 
This makes me feel really guilty.
 
I don't need to do anoher unnecessary lie, do I?
 
Gikwang takes my glasses from my hand and ask me, "Can you see clearly without the glasses?"
 
I nod; he's right. I don't need glasses because my sight is perfectly good. I use the black thick-rimmed glasses because it's a birthday present from Yujin one year ago and when I wear it, I feel better though I don't know why I feel that way.
 
He puts my glasses on him and gives me a wide grin, "I like to use a black thick-rimmed glasses too. How do I look?"
 
I feel my heart skips a beat when I look at his happy expression. Why do I feel that my cheeks are really warm now?
 
As if it's not enough to give me hard time to think about what's happening with me, Gikwang pats my head gently, "Pain, pain, go away."
 
I look up at him, blinking with confusion but he gives me a sincere smile, "Is it still hurt?"
 
Without even bothering to take back my glasses from him, I step backwards and turns back to the building. I can feel my heart is beating uncontrollably and it's all because of her simple gesture.
 
No one ever patted my head before. Not even my father because he's not the type who will spoil me. He wants me to grow as a mature girl instead of a lovely one.
 
"Rima!" I hear he calls me but I ignore him and wait for the elavator to be opened. I press the button impatiently, hoping that it will arrive as soon as possible.
 
"Yah, Rima!" Gikwang stops me from moving away; he catches up with me. "Is something wrong? Did I do something wrong?"
 
I hold my breath as he tightens his grip on my wrist without hurting me.
 
The elevator is opened and a familiar voice breaks our eyes contact.
 
"What are you two doing?"